HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

bRIBEGuy

Newly Enlightened
Very interested in one of these lights......just got an email confirming the 8-10 week wait time though. :(

burntoshine

Enlightened
This is how I've been carrying mine with jeans
p7hds_zps49346127.jpg

I stole a crimpy clasp thingy from another lanyard and used it to crimp a loop of paracord. I covered the metal crimpy clasp in gorilla tape so it wouldn't needlessly scratch the light.

I was first carrying the light normally clipped in my pocket, but I like it more concealed. It just hangs out next to my wallet. Gotta love the P7!

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys.

I am about to order a HDS EDC Rotary 200 lumen flashlight.

Is the Flush button as easy on the fingers and just as reliable as the Riased button.

What are your preferences or experiences?

When spending $200 on any flashlight it would be good to know this answer.

CHEERS
:confused:

broonzbane

Newly Enlightened
This is how I've been carrying mine with jeans
p7hds_zps49346127.jpg

I stole a crimpy clasp thingy from another lanyard and used it to crimp a loop of paracord. I covered the metal crimpy clasp in gorilla tape so it wouldn't needlessly scratch the light.

I was first carrying the light normally clipped in my pocket, but I like it more concealed. It just hangs out next to my wallet. Gotta love the P7!

is that a cerakoted 120 High CRI? I just picked one up from GoingGear 3 weeks ago, and its already my favorite HDS. I also own an Executive 200 Rotary and a legacy tactical 120 clicky.

There has been some discussion in this thread on the quality of the cerakoting of Henry's lights--some have reported wear from everyday pocket carry.

My experience has been quite the opposite, and I'm curious to know what your experience has been. My everyday use and abuse has produced no signs of visible wear in the short time I've owned it. How about you?

I've been perusing other edc forums, and others have reportedly confirmed that Henry has changed his cerakoting supplier to one of the web's most prolific and respected independent cerakoters of guns, knives and lights.

I'm so impressed that I want to get the HA bead blasted off my other HDS lights and have them cerakoted by this guy!!!

Broonzbane

DucS2R

Enlightened
That orange 120 HCRI is my most recent of and my favorite as well. Made the wait for my rotary a lot easier to handle.

T

RobME

Newly Enlightened
Orange... my legacy 170T, transformed with a Nichia 219... Cool White (which was very nice), is gone - replaced with a most beautiful HCRI neutral tint. I don't know what the output is now, but it's far brighter than my other (legacy) 100lm HCRI, which is still a beauty!!!

hds2191.jpg

hds2192.jpg

Reflector is fine... just noticed the white 'patches' in the shot - which are just photo anomalies.

Last edited:

broonzbane

Newly Enlightened
That orange 120 HCRI is my most recent of and my favorite as well. Made the wait for my rotary a lot easier to handle.

T

As a rotary owner, i can honestly say that the interface just doesn't 'wow' me. i much prefer the clicky interface of my High CRI and my legacy tactical clicky. I was an early adopter of the rotary and walked into GoingGear off the streets over a year ago and snagged one when others were waiting for months for ones they ordered directly. My light still has the 'no factory reset' bug in the firmware and I'm okay with that.

I don't mean to diminish the quality and execution of this interface, because they exceeded my expectations and are typical of Henry's demanding quality standards. I just found that i PERSONALLY rarely find the need to instantly select from one of 24 individual brightness levels.

Of course, the Rotary can be programmed to behave just like a legacy clicky, which goes to show that Henry had folk like me in mind when he designed the light. i'm just a big believer in using the fewest moving parts possible.

ymmv!
pbroonzbane

diesel79

Enlightened
Im gonna wait until a dealer has some in stock and pull the trigger on one. Im still not sure as to wether or not I want to get a regular E120 model and have it modded with a Nichia, or just go with the XPG HCRI emitter Henry uses. I like both, but Im really liking the Nichia's tint. I had one of the first HDS HCRI's with the XPG but sold it.:mad:

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
As a rotary owner, i can honestly say that the interface just doesn't 'wow' me. i much prefer the clicky interface of my High CRI and my legacy tactical clicky. I was an early adopter of the rotary and walked into GoingGear off the streets over a year ago and snagged one when others were waiting for months for ones they ordered directly. My light still has the 'no factory reset' bug in the firmware and I'm okay with that.

I don't mean to diminish the quality and execution of this interface, because they exceeded my expectations and are typical of Henry's demanding quality standards. I just found that i PERSONALLY rarely find the need to instantly select from one of 24 individual brightness levels.

Of course, the Rotary can be programmed to behave just like a legacy clicky, which goes to show that Henry had folk like me in mind when he designed the light. i'm just a big believer in using the fewest moving parts possible.

ymmv!
pbroonzbane

This may seem counterintuitive, but I find that I tend to use more light than I need when I have a continuously variable UI, as opposed to known / selected / preset levels .... Although I don't have an HDS Rotary, I have quite a few variable torches, and often prefer to have the set levels I have programmed into my HDS/Ra Clicky(s) :)

I do like variable output as a feature, but like programmability even more, I guess (the HDS Rotary has both, of course).

Last edited:

broonzbane

Newly Enlightened
Orange... my legacy 170T, transformed with a Nichia 219... Cool White (which was very nice), is gone - replaced with a most beautiful HCRI neutral tint. I don't know what the output is now, but it's far brighter than my other (legacy) 100lm HCRI, which is still a beauty!!!

hds2191.jpg

hds2192.jpg

Reflector is fine... just noticed the white 'patches' in the shot - which are just photo anomalies.

SWEET!

Can't say that I care for the stock pocket clip, though. Henry REALLY needs to improve his track record in this department.

One of the main reasons my Rotary gets ZERO carry time is the lack of a clip. I hate having a light of this size swimming around in the bottom of my pocket.

IMHO, the engineering of the clip needs to match the quality of the rest of the light--a $200.00 purchasing decision just might come down to the clip for many of us.

The Moddoo clip has always been a good aftermarket alternative, but finding them in stock . . .

But still . . . no solution for the Rotary.

broonzbane

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, here's my most recent acquisition:

photo2.jpg

That is one sweet looking light!

I like the orange/black combination.

I can now easily see the flush button position.

Thanks for putting that photo up for all of us as it helps me very much.

The flush switch does not look too bad at all given the dished tailcap around the button.

CHEERS

RobME

Newly Enlightened
Any one can post a pic of HDS cerakoted with olive drab ? Many thanks.
I hope someone does post a photo of the OD. I can't but a friend has one. He posted a pic on another site, and as much as I like the orange and white ones that I have, the OD is the nicest cerakoted finish I've seen on these lights. To each their own. :)

broonzbane

Newly Enlightened
That is one sweet looking light!

I like the orange/black combination.

I can now easily see the flush button position.

Thanks for putting that photo up for all of us as it helps me very much.

The flush switch does not look too bad at all given the dished tailcap around the button.

CHEERS

If tailstanding is your concern, the light does well on it's own. Here it is with a Surefire F04 diffuser mounted to the head. Notice how the light leans only slightly:

IMG_0608.JPG

Now here is the light with the same diffuser mounted to the tailcap:

IMG_0610.JPG

The Surefire diffuser is a natural for this light--not only does it transform the beam into a floody goodness of High CRI light, it makes a perfect tailstanding companion for 'candle' applications!

(please note that in the 2nd photo, it appears that there is wear to the cerakoting on the bezel of the flashlight--there is not. this is merely the reflection of the room's ambient lighting off the surface of the light. the cerakoting is in flawless perfect condition)

love it!

broonzbane

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
This may seem counterintuitive, but I find that I tend to use more light than I need when I have a continuously variable UI, as opposed to known / selected / preset levels .... Although I don't have an HDS Rotary, I have quite a few variable torches, and often prefer to have the set levels I have programmed into my HDS/Ra Clicky(s) :)

I do like variable output as a feature, but like programmability even more, I guess (the HDS Rotary has both, of course).
Lately I've been in a quandary over the same issue - I want to use my Clicky, but because of it's lack of a very low level, I'm using a couple other favorites which go much lower, the rotary controlled V10R Ti and TC-R1.

Especially with the TC-R1 I'm constantly finding the battery drained after having really enjoyed the super brightness of it. Even though my Clicky is only putting out a fraction of the lumens most of the time, it's always enough, seems to last for ages between charges and if not for a lower low I'd still be carrying it on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.