HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
I just watched a review where the guy put a fenix pd20 clip on his rotary and it looks great but according him works great also. Why hasnt anyone else done this? What am I missing?

Also what is the current wait time for a Rotary?

Last edited:

thaugen

Enlightened
I just watched a review where the guy put a fenix pd20 clip on his rotary and it looks great but according him works great also. Why hasnt anyone else done this? What am I missing?

Also what is the current wait time for a Rotary?

I did that on an older rotary. It works fine, but I did not like having a clip.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be in the minority here, but I don't want a clip on my rotaries. The light seems just fine without one.

I guess I'm one of the minority as well, since the only light I'll carry with a clip is my E1b. I posted these photos previously but for those who missed it. This is how I use and carry my Rotary;

8ed8955b.jpg

79215050.jpg

this is the "Grommet" I installed on my Rotary (if you look closely (at the two photos above), I installed a o-ring to fill the void along the outer diameter of the Grommet).

26d8a729.jpg

And this is how I carry it (best dang designed holster IMHO);

1be37a64.jpg

Clip on, clip off, easy-peasy-lemon-squeasy;

23a91c8e.jpg

Another holster alternative is Thor's Hammer in Tucson, AZ (although I don't own one, it seems to be well made. No ease of the clip on, clip off, but you can have it custom made to carry one, or more extry batteries. Hey an if you're into leather, it's made of leather).

Last edited:

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
Well I already carry a glock 21sf and 2 spare mags so a holster for a light is out if the question, lol. I think I am going to order a rotary and that Felix pd20 clip. It looked perfect for the light.

Any input on keeping the light from getting bumped on while in my pocket? Also about how long is the wait time on a rotary right now? If its still a year forget it but I can deal with 8 weeks.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clicky clip won't work with the Rotary. A new clip had to be designed to work on the Rotary, apparently there is a prototype but nothing in production yet. Also from what I was told clips for the Rotary will be an accessory unlike the clicky clip that comes with the light. I check the HDS site often to see if it's updated or changed, especially the accessory section, and I just hope clips aren't made available after my light ships..... :mad: (shipping fees!!)

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clicky clip won't work with the Rotary. A new clip had to be designed to work on the Rotary, apparently there is a prototype but nothing in production yet. Also from what I was told clips for the Rotary will be an accessory unlike the clicky clip that comes with the light. I check the HDS site often to see if it's updated or changed, especially the accessory section, and I just hope clips aren't made available after my light ships..... :mad: (shipping fees!!)

Well didn't you know, shipping an HDS flashlight/s and accessories out of Tucson is extremely expensive! I think it has something to do with the Pinkerton's having to place extry guards on the trains, or sonthing?.... :whistle:

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Brian1911: You can engage the button lock to prevent it from coming on in your pocket.

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
Brian1911: You can engage the button lock to prevent it from coming on in your pocket.

I read that feature in the manual. If I understand correctly to activate the light I need to press the button 3 times? Seems like maybe a good idea or by time you need the light the battery could be dead which has happened to me a few times when wearing jeans. When I wear my 5.11 tactical pants I clip in back pocket and it seems to not get bumped on but with jeans and the light in the front pocket it happens all the time.

Now I need to practice programming it. I tried a few times and can never catch the 20 click in time when the light stays on steady. I always get 1 too many clicks and it shuts back off. I tried to find a youtube vid of someone programming these but doesnt seem anyone has uploaded such a vid.

Imon

Enlightened
Now I need to practice programming it. I tried a few times and can never catch the 20 click in time when the light stays on steady. I always get 1 too many clicks and it shuts back off. I tried to find a youtube vid of someone programming these but doesnt seem anyone has uploaded such a vid.

You don't need to click it exactly 20 times just at least 20 times. Or until the light stops turning on and off when you are still clicking it. When the lights stops turning on and off when you click it, press and hold until it turns off then customization is enabled.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, just because you "enable" the tailcap lockout feature doesn't mean you have to click it three times EVERY TIME you want to turn the light on, only after you clicked it three times to lock it out. I only lock mine when I throw it in my bag or when it's in my pocket and unlikely to be used. I'm not saying that this is unclear to you, but I've seen posts where others think that because its enabled it must be unlocked after every turn off.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love mine in the kydex holster from HDS. I deliberately removed the clip on my clickies and it felt better in my hand.

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I guess I'm one of the minority as well, since the only light I'll carry with a clip is my E1b. I posted these photos previously but for those who missed it. This is how I use and carry my Rotary;
this is the "Grommet" I installed on my Rotary (if you look closely (at the two photos above), I installed a o-ring to fill the void along the outer diameter of the Grommet).
And this is how I carry it (best dang designed holster IMHO);
Clip on, clip off, easy-peasy-lemon-squeasy;
Another holster alternative is Thor's Hammer in Tucson, AZ (although I don't own one, it seems to be well made. No ease of the clip on, clip off, but you can have it custom made to carry one, or more extry batteries. Hey an if you're into leather, it's made of leather).

BTW, It looks like "Thor" is using a spring-steel clip these days, even on a leather holster, so you don't need to remove your belt. I'm thinking to get one, if my Clicky ever shows up :)

I've seen your grommet solution before. I was hoping that with the overall shape of the light an additional grip ring wouldn't be necessary, even for "cigar" hold or rogers-style activation.
Does it make a big difference in deployment and activation, or just make it a little easier to spin the rotary tail?

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, It looks like "Thor" is using a spring-steel clip these days, even on a leather holster, so you don't need to remove your belt. I'm thinking to get one, if my Clicky ever shows up :)

I've seen your grommet solution before. I was hoping that with the overall shape of the light an additional grip ring wouldn't be necessary, even for "cigar" hold or rogers-style activation.
Does it make a big difference in deployment and activation, or just make it a little easier to spin the rotary tail?

The grommet gives me a positive grip for both deployment and activating the light, as well as in the Rotary's case, when I'm spinning the tail cap! The grommet cost a couple of bucks at HomeDepot, then throw an o-ring on it and see how it goes.

THe grommet found a perminent place on the Rotary (as well as if I still had my 170T).

Last edited:

999snafu

Newly Enlightened

"Thor" uses either a sprung steel belt clip or a leather loop depending on what you want as his holsters are all completely custom. ( unless you want a holster for a duty belt, in which case you have to have a leather loop as the clips aren't wide enough for a 2.5" belt).

I would totally recommend his work, they are of great quality made with great craftsmanship and really hard wearing. I've got one of his holsters (with a double battery "saddlebag" on it) on my duty belt carrying an HDS Clicky, had it there for a couple of years and its still in great condition, apart a slight wear where my baton rubs against it.

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
Also, just because you "enable" the tailcap lockout feature doesn't mean you have to click it three times EVERY TIME you want to turn the light on, only after you clicked it three times to lock it out. I only lock mine when I throw it in my bag or when it's in my pocket and unlikely to be used. I'm not saying that this is unclear to you, but I've seen posts where others think that because its enabled it must be unlocked after every turn off.

I did not know that thanks.

For programming I read 20 click didnt matter but I click away and when the light stays on I accidentally click again. Its very hard to click fast enough to do it right but not click that 1 extra time when the light stays lit.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with AZPops, rechargeable batteries are the way to go with the HDS lights.

I find the AW IMR 16340 (red unprotected) gives a little more runtime than the AW ICR123 (black protected). Henry confirmed this finding as well.

I stay away from unprotected cells. Its a rechargable battery, so I am not too worried about a little more runtime, its not worth the risk. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.