HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampson2269

Newly Enlightened
I read somewhere that henry is allowing people to send in there flashlights and upgrade them? Does this have any truth to it?

callmaster

Enlightened
Well, I sent in both my 170Cn (One being the Ti) for regular maintenance and to fix a few issues and asked about upgrading. Henry said that there was no upgrade path for the Titanium light, and he didn't upgrade the normal ones at all.

So I guess not.

nbp

Flashaholic
Where did you read that? Henry has never offered that before, aside from the Ti Clicky which was a very limited run item.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read somewhere that henry is allowing people to send in there flashlights and upgrade them? Does this have any truth to it?
I asked him recently if it was possible to have an older light flashed with the latest firmware, and he told me that while it's technically possible, he doesn't currently offer such a service and doesn't know how much he'd charge if he did.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the HDS website today I noticed now they have a red LED called the Dark Adaptation Red emitter. While I personally wouldn't have use for a dedicated red light it does seem interesting. I recall reading some past threads about red LEDs, red filters, and the wave lengths of the red light produced and how effective (or ineffective) they can be. Wonder how this emitter fairs in that regard. While I don't know if it's possible I think a single light with two LEDs which would enable the light to produce both white and colored light would be ideal, like a SF Aviator, giving a single light a lot of capability.

choombak

Enlightened
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I think I definitely need the new clip for my Rotary - the head rotates when carried in my jeans pocket, and I have no clue what level it will come on when taken out. I don't always holster it. I know there was a talk on the new clip a few pages/weeks ago, but haven't been checking the thread lately.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I think I definitely need the new clip for my Rotary - the head rotates when carried in my jeans pocket, and I have no clue what level it will come on when taken out. I don't always holster it. I know there was a talk on the new clip a few pages/weeks ago, but haven't been checking the thread lately.

You can see the prototype a few pages back, its post #4480. If it ever makes it to production it's an option, albeit one I'd opt not to use, but that's me.

A small belt holster might do best, I was carrying my clicky at work in a Desantis single magazine pouch. It's the nylon N23 model, it worked well and was pretty small.

Last edited:

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying another, of several, carry methods for my rotary. I'm sure most of you have purchased quark lights, included with the light is a rubber light/hand strap. I cut one of the loops off and put it over the tail cap. Gives it great grip and minimizes the light walking around in your pocket.

Snareman

Enlightened

I've used Fenix and Sunwayman clips on mine and they work pretty well.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely need the new clip for my Rotary - the head rotates when carried in my jeans pocket, and I have no clue what level it will come on when taken out.
I assume you mean the dial? That baffles me, because I have never had my Rotary dial turn without me deliberately doing so, no matter how I carry it.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'll go ahead and pass along some information from the current Illumination Supply special order thread. This was posted on February 20th.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by csshih
HDS had to find a new manufacturer for reflectors since the quality was rubbish on the second batch. Currently they're waiting for a sample reflector to arrive next week before going ahead with production.

This is exactly what happened. We were expecting reflectors to be in when we returned from SHOT. The one's that arrived from the vendor could not even be considered "reflectors". The vendor passed it along to a machinist who did not know what a parabola is. They sent cones.
Henry is looking at getting CNC machines and moving this all "in-house". I'm encouraging it as much as possible. The old adage, "If you want it done right, do it yourself" seems to be more and more true.

Vlk

Banned
This is exactly what happened. We were expecting reflectors to be in when we returned from SHOT. The one's that arrived from the vendor could not even be considered "reflectors". The vendor passed it along to a machinist who did not know what a parabola is. They sent cones.
Henry is looking at getting CNC machines and moving this all "in-house". I'm encouraging it as much as possible. The old adage, "If you want it done right, do it yourself" seems to be more and more true.

Good for us, I am sure Henry will make better reflectors by himself. It'll just take some time, hopefully not six months or so.

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
I found a store that has them in stock, Id post it but there not a cpf supporter. Pm me an Ill let you know where.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast

That would be some move.

Hogokansatsukan, any further word on the Rotary clips?

Last edited:

Snareman

Enlightened

I've never heard of a company that has had sooo many problems with suppliers. Sounds like it might solve a lot of the problems if Henry could get some machines of his own.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Vlk

Banned
I've never heard of a company that has had sooo many problems with suppliers. Sounds like it might solve a lot of the problems if Henry could get some machines of his own.

Besides the demands of high quality, I don't think that Henry wants to pay $50 for each reflector. For this kind of money it would not be such a problem, I guess.

Snareman

Enlightened
Besides the demands of high quality, I don't think that Henry wants to pay $50 for each reflector. For this kind of money it would not be such a problem, I guess.

I'm not talking about just the reflectors. His sourcing issues go back for years, pretty much for as long as I've known about HDS lights.

I'm sure machines are expensive but he could probably solve all of his sourcing issues with them I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.