HDS Systems EDC # 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sean, if it works I think you essentially have a clicky since that eliminates the rotary cap. I can check later to see if it will operate though.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess a little of both.

A few years back I didn't see any real need for a clip. Even for EDC I'd just throw a light in my pocket and go. Over the past year I've been EDC'ing a light with me everyday and having a bezel down carry clip has really become a necessity. As much as the bezel up clip carry idea appeals to be able to carry a Rotary I am a bit concerned with the button pointing down in regards to unintended activation and also pulling out a bezel up carry light to use requires to motions (one to pull it out and another to turn it around to use). I'm sure some will find the being nit-picky but it increases the efficiency in using the light.

I've also been looking a Hugo's holsters and they also have some great appeal that would solve my concerns too.

I suppose thinking and talking about all these options before making a purchase just makes the hobby that much more fun for me. And, hopefully others are mulling over the same questions as me and this will help in their decision making as well.

Also - the new greater availability of the HDS light and getting production back on track has made the topic much more interesting. I started to get bored for a while when the only discussion out there was when people ordered their lights and how long it was taking to get them.

ffemt6263

Enlightened
Not sure this is the right place to ask but I'm specifically wondering this for the rotary so I suppose it's kind of on topic.

I think I remember quite a few years ago a member on this forum offering custom made and bent clips for anything you wanted to have them made for in any shape or size. Anyone remember this and if so who it was? I'm not too keen on the bezel up carry but it does look kind of nice. I was thinking a deep carry bezel up clip would be a good compromise for me. Or even a snap-on clip like in another post a page or so back but in a deep carry style.

SOYCD- I completely agree with you. A good carry clip is an absolute must for me. I really don't like anything on my belt except my weapon and sometimes an extra magazine. Even that gets put in the back pocket most times. My knife lives in my front right pocket and edc light in the front left pocket. I also have the same concerns about extra motions removing the light and also accidental activation with the bezel up carry.

Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan - I am curious why you grabbed a raised button versus a flush one?

I've always swayed towards the flush one so I can have tail stand, so I am intrigued by the benefit of a raised button.

Sean, I rarely - if ever - tail stand a light. I suppose I'm a bit different than most - prefer pure 'clicky' over 'twisty' (read - "rotary") and like the raised button. Just personal preference I suppose - I like the 'feel' and ease of activating the light with the flat part of my thumb as opposed to pressing the flush button with the tip of my thumb. And I know that you can probably activate the flush button with the flat part of a thumb, but again, I just like the way it feels. Go figure! :eek:

NOW, if I buy another one, it'll probably be a flush button rotary with the 219 emitter. Mix it up a bit, you know?
;)

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a extra rotary battery tube with a raised button. Makes it easier in the winter when working with thick gloves to activate the raised button then of course rotate for brightness level.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few HDS lights. I usually pick the flush option so it can somewhat tailstand. On my latest HDS, I wanted a black bezel so I purchased a model with a raised button tailcap. I had expected to hate the raised button. My original plan was to switch out the button when I receive the light. After using it for a while, I like the raise button since it was easier for me to click. One function that is a must with the raised button is the 10 minute auto shutdown. It does turn on once in a while while clipped to my pocket.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
So - in my ongoing quest to determine if I should buy a Rotary or a Clicky 170n I came up with an idea. On the HDS site Henry sells accessory 123 battery tubes with switches for both the Clicky and Rotary lights.

I can't imagine that simply putting a Rotary 123 battery tube onto a Clicky light would make it suddenly behave like a Rotary - the firmware has to be programmed differently. But, what about putting a Clicky 123 battery tube onto a Rotary body?

Anyone ever tried this?

I'm going to give it a shot later on and see what happens.

I just tried the LEGO. Didn't work in either direction Rotary -> Clicky or Clicky -> Rotary. It was just a thought and worth trying out.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a extra rotary battery tube with a raised button. Makes it easier in the winter when working with thick gloves to activate the raised button then of course rotate for brightness level.

That's probably the only scenario I could think of where it would make a difference for me, but also the one scenario I would likely never encounter.

Thanks for the multiple inputs on this guys - I still think the flush would work best for me, but maybe I'll grab a spare raised switch just to try it out on my Clicky. It's only $20 to give it a shot.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
UniqueTitanium has $5 flat or raised boot for HDS clicky tailcaps. That's an option, but a spare tailcap won't hurt.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're correct. The rotary tailcaps are not user removable (or not meant for us to remove).

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my first rotary and it is fantastic.

It is possible to enable an "auto off"? The manual seems to be very clicky focused but maybe that's for a reason.

Is there any programming that can be done to them like the clicky? I don't have anything in mind that I want changed, not sure what you could with the rotary doing all the work.

I know about the single, double, triple, quad, five clicks. Anything more than that?

Thanks.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
but why custom from Oveready? HDS provides this customization (N-170) on its website . . .

I don't think that it is an Oveready Custom version, more so that Oveready is selling the 170N which is a HDS Custom order light. I was a little confused at first until I read 880arm's review of the light and then it clicked for me.

To find out that Henry is using a 219B is great to see. I've always felt that Henry was too slow embracing new LED technology and to see him taking to the Nichia 219B so quickly is nice . . .

It's my understanding that OVEREADY had their lights specifically made with the 219B and that the "factory" HDS 170N would be using some different emitter. That's why I was referring to it as the Rotary 170 219B rather than 170N. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't have a whole lot of experience with these lights and my sample size is exactly two now . . . the 170 219B in the review and the 250 Tactical that I received Saturday. I have never touched a 170N straight from HDS and don't know for sure what it uses.

I think people should also note that 880arm also has a Max Output chart posted on his review site of the light running a AW16340 IMR cell. That you can get over a full hour on high (burst enabled) is great.

I'm glad you mentioned that, I should have included that in the earlier post. It was getting too long already and I was tired so I guess I forgot about that. One clarification though, it was a regular 16340 (RCR123A) and not IMR. Here's the chart . . . ."

HDS-Rotary-170-219B-16340.jpg

I definitely want to pick one of these up but I am torn between Rotary and Clicky. Decisions, decisions, decisions...........

You know there is a very simple answer to that dilemma :devil:

Ever the diplomat... :) Very nice commentary. Thank you for the runtime graph!

You bet. It really is a tough question for me to answer. Up until now I have never been bothered by a cool tint, as long as it wasn't so cool that everything looks blue. However, now I'm really starting to appreciate the 4500-5000K lights. I mentioned to someone else that I hope I'm not becoming a "tint snob" but we will see what happens! :cool:

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's my understanding that OVEREADY had their lights specifically made with the 219B and that the "factory" HDS 170N would be using some different emitter. That's why I was referring to it as the Rotary 170 219B rather than 170N. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't have a whole lot of experience with these lights and my sample size is exactly two now . . . the 170 219B in the review and the 250 Tactical that I received Saturday. I have never touched a 170N straight from HDS and don't know for sure what it uses.
It is to my understanding that they are both using the Nichia 219B emitter unless something has changed. Like you I was very surprised when I heard that Henry is incorporating the Nichia 219B in his new releases. I think that's the way to go.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are the exact same emitter.

Edit: I was mistaken on this. The LEDs in the Oveready 170's were special LEDs provided directly by Oveready.

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Enlightened
There's a lot of room for glow stickers in the Rotary. Please excuse the poor sticker centering.

View attachment 145

That is cool gunga! ...is that sticker around the emitter? Is it on the reflector around the emitter? Im guessing it doesn't affect the beam or you wouldn't have done it. I'm not sure what HDS Rotarys look like(hopefully will in a few days!), but seems like it would screw with beam profile on all my other lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts