HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

d13avo

Enlightened
I recently purchased my second HDS, an Executive 140 219A. It came with an over polished stainless bezel. My Rotary has the satin (dull) stainless bezel. I think I read some where on this thread that the satin (dull) bezel was what HDS are doing now. I like the satin one but I am really loving this polished one against it's black body, Nice! Anyway got me thinking what other members preferences were.

IMG_4607_zps6eef6850.jpg

IMG_4221_zps5e1a8a19.jpg

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anybody comment on whether or not the Golden Dragon and XP-G lights use the same reflector?

Lithium466

Enlightened
What about the thermal monitoring? Is it really still useful with new gen leds?
Even with burst disabled, my 170 (for exemple) on highest level become hardly warm. Older leds like Luxeon ran considerably hotter, so thermal monitoring was a good thing, but what about now?

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think termal protection would be useful if the light was left on max while bezel down or accidentally turned on in a pocket/bag, etc.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Mmm yes, you're right, forgot about that situation ;) Makes sense.

Another (off topic, sorry) question, does someone knows for sure if China made Novatac still had temperature monitoring?

Edit: just checked, to me GD and XP-G reflector appear to be identical, but there was a reflector redesign recently, better beam with Nichia.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I recently purchased my second HDS, an Executive 140 219A. It came with an over polished stainless bezel. My Rotary has the satin (dull) stainless bezel. I think I read some where on this thread that the satin (dull) bezel was what HDS are doing now. I like the satin one but I am really loving this polished one against it's black body, Nice! Anyway got me thinking what other members preferences were.

IMG_4607_zps6eef6850.jpg

IMG_4221_zps5e1a8a19.jpg
I'm with you. Love the bling factor so prefer the shiny bezel...or an entirely shiny titanium model. Thermal protection is an excellent feature. I hate timed step downs because it is temperature that determines when power needs to be cut.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Like the shiny bezel on my 140, but I'm tempted to take some 0000 steel wool to it. :) The stonewashed bezel on my Rotary looks nicer than the shiny, imho.

quickster47

Newly Enlightened
Travis,

Thanks much for the feedback. Every time I go back and visit the HDS page I sort of end up looking at that model so I guess it must be some sort of significant omen and the direction I am going.

Much appreciated,

Carl

I just jumped on the bandwagon & tried the Executive Clicky(219a) first, then found an old school GDP Executive Clicky, & lastly a Rotary(219b). I'm keeping the rotary because it offers what the the clickies offer with even more output options literally at your finger tips.

The ability to smoothly sweep through 24 levels of light intensity is pretty amazing.

Unless you have an inclination towards high CRI, I would probably get a 325 Lumen Rotary.

JohnSmith

Enlightened

My recent order for a 325 Clicky came with the highly polished silver bezel, which was disappointing to me as I expected a matte or satin finish. I installed the Dark Sucks titanium clip and now it looks more balanced. It may be growing on me, but I think I still prefer black.

I placed an order last week for for a 325 Rotary (black bezel) and added an extra black bezel to the order to replace the silver one on my new Clicky - if I decide to later on.

2015-01-18195330_zps4b646ee8.jpg

Last edited:

Trip Miller

Enlightened
I have several hundred dollars left over from Christmas and have been wanting/needing/coveting a HDS flashlight for the last 12 months and would like to know what you recommend for a first HDS? My use would be EDC and other.

I have also downloaded all his manuals, read through them several times, read posts on this forum and others and am still not sure what to get.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Carl

Carl,

welcome to CPF. Good thing you read a lot because this thread has a lot to read. I assume that you have not yet read the forum rules which will tell you that the correct answer to your question is that you have to buy 2 HDS lights when you start, not just one. So the easy answer is a Clicky AND a Rotary! Good Luck and make sure to keep saving money as this may be the "brightest" place on the internet that has a black hole in the middle for sucking out your cash :)

quickster47

Newly Enlightened
Thanks much for the warm and light welcome. :grin2:

So, I went ahead and ordered a basic rotary with a couple of additions:
Description: rotary, 325 lm, sapphire, svr bzl, blk bdy, 123, flush btn, no clip

I think that will keep me going till I catch my breath from spending that much money on a single battery flashlight. :sick:

So now begins that long and dreaded wait time while mine is built and shipped. Guess it gives me more time to continue reading the previous chapters of this thread and other sources of HDS information and mods.

Carl

Carl,

welcome to CPF. Good thing you read a lot because this thread has a lot to read. I assume that you have not yet read the forum rules which will tell you that the correct answer to your question is that you have to buy 2 HDS lights when you start, not just one. So the easy answer is a Clicky AND a Rotary! Good Luck and make sure to keep saving money as this may be the "brightest" place on the internet that has a black hole in the middle for sucking out your cash :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
So how would one go about ordering a rotary 219b 200 lumen HDS with clip? I only see the 170 on the site.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Oh, I misunderstood a previous poster who claimed he was getting what I asked about direct from hds. I'd go to 1.5 amps if I delt with a modder but I wouldn't mod a $300+ flashlight.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how would one go about ordering a rotary 219b 200 lumen HDS with clip? I only see the 170 on the site.

Unless something has changed the 219B version is only available as a 170 lumen model. The 200 lumen 219 that Kid9p has is basically a unicorn, one of Henry's associates Dan acquired that light. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Trip Miller

Enlightened
KDM,

that was right. He was able to grab one from Hogo that was a "factory" light but done with a 200 lm set up. A one off. At least that is what I remember reading. Otherwise 170 is the only way the Nichia 219B light is currently produced from HDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.