HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
In order not to muck up this thread with a HiCRI group buy, and preferably not fill up my in box with PMs, you can contact me at hogokansatsukan (that little odd symbol) gmail.com
I looked for a group buy section on CPF... I knew there used to be one somewhere... anybody know where it went?
Wait, maybe it's at the Marketplace...
Ha! Found it! You can teach an old dog new tricks... or rather, even a blind hog finds a few acorns.
Click the link below:
HiCRI Group Buy

FullTwisting

Newly Enlightened
3000K would be warmer than the iconic 3700K CRI clicky that is a CPF favorite. 3000K is like the run of M61's that Craig did with the CRI XPG2's.

I'm considering jumping in on this special run. Can anyone comment on this LED vs the Nicha Hi-CRI (219A I think?). Part of my use case is working on old cars, so color rendition is important to me for correctly identifying wiring.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a call from Henry. He was going through his stuff to see if he could do a Hyper Red run again, and well, the good news is he can.
Now the bad news. He couldn't find the LEDs for the HiCRI run.:mecry:
Let me just say "this sucks". I have a Hyper Red. I don't need another Hyper Red. I don't have a HiCRI anymore because of a serious lack in judgement and sold mine.

Anyway, sorry for the false hope there on the HiCRI.

I'll start a thread in the group buy for the Hyper Red since Henry did just confirm that he can do another small run.

Where's the rum? I need it now.

Hogo out.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be awesome if it could be ordered with an 18650 tube :)

FullTwisting

Newly Enlightened
Yes, they will have all the same features and the newest firmware.

That's terrific news.

For the rest of you who are in on this, any interest in a Cerakote finish? This may not be a possibility, but I don't think Henry will do it unless we get them all done in the same color. If I could, I'd go with a bright red. :D

DeliveryD

Newly Enlightened
For the rest of you who are in on this, any interest in a Cerakote finish? This may not be a possibility, but I don't think Henry will do it unless we get them all done in the same color. If I could, I'd go with a bright red. :D[/QUOTE]

I'm interested!

scout24

Flashaholic
Sheriff Arpaio is Da Man. :thumbsup: (In my humble, all the way across the country NYS opinion...) Email sent, post made in the Marketplace thread. :grin2:

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have been using my Rotary a little bit lately, it's basically become a shelf queen, and have come to the conclusion that the knurling really needs to be more aggressive (IMO). The body/head/tail is just too smooth, a deeper grind would be better. Since HDS is big on the customizable features I think an 'aggressive grip' would be a good one to have available when ordering. An HDS RTF (rough texture finish), perfect for outdoor use when it's cold/wet. Just my opinion.

L84CABO

Newly Enlightened
So I just received my new 325 lm EDC tactical. I have an older RA Clicky 170 lm and I'm pretty happy with the overall upgrade in lumens and beam profile. But I'm scratching my head a bit at the Rotary feature. I understand that there are three positions essentially...Momentary Maximum, Momentary Strobe and then Constant on w/Adjustable Brightness. But I guess I expected that there would be some means of positive delineation between the zones. For example, there's no way to tell with 100% certainty that the light is set to the strobe zone. It's basically a guess by going fully clockwise and then backing off some and hope you landed in the right spot. Is this how it's supposed to be? Or am I missing something?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do like Sheriff Joe, but down here in Pima County... we have a different kind of Sheriff, and i taint a good thing either.

OK. Comparison of 170 Neutral with the flood reflector and standard reflector.

30 yards to target. First flood:
DSC01492_zpsec1ec68e.jpg

Standard reflector at 30 yards:
DSC01496_zps199f8530.jpg

20 yards flood:
DSC01494_zpsa63d7735.jpg

20 yards standard reflector:
DSC01497_zps5bcddf77.jpg

10 yards flood:
DSC01495_zps6fe747eb.jpg

10 yards regular:
DSC01498_zps1079ddef.jpg

30 yards me and Mathews Creed: 6 arrows.
image_zps163c2fd3.jpg

Oh tasty, tasty venison. Here Bambi! Here Bambi!

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I just received my new 325 lm EDC tactical. I have an older RA Clicky 170 lm and I'm pretty happy with the overall upgrade in lumens and beam profile. But I'm scratching my head a bit at the Rotary feature. I understand that there are three positions essentially...Momentary Maximum, Momentary Strobe and then Constant on w/Adjustable Brightness. But I guess I expected that there would be some means of positive delineation between the zones. For example, there's no way to tell with 100% certainty that the light is set to the strobe zone. It's basically a guess by going fully clockwise and then backing off some and hope you landed in the right spot. Is this how it's supposed to be? Or am I missing something?

Does the 170 GDP out throw the floody 325 HDS? Had the 170 GDP, it threw well, better then my current 200 Rotary.

scout24

Flashaholic
That sir, is a very respectable 30yd grouping. Definitely better than minute-of-deer. I sense quite a bit of practice. I've been watching squirrels from a treestand while holding a bow for a few years now, and have had a bit of success. No Matthews, but I do okay. Got a few cool flashlights to help get in and out when it's dark, too... :) :laughing:

L84CABO

Newly Enlightened
Does the 170 GDP out throw the floody 325 HDS? Had the 170 GDP, it threw well, better then my current 200 Rotary.

I was concerned about throw and here's how Henry described it to me before I bought it...

"The 325 is has a larger spot - not hugely larger but clearly larger than our regular lights. If you light has the Osram Golden Dragon LED, it has a narrower beam than our regular lights - so the difference in beam size will be larger. Throw will be somewhat further but most of the extra light goes into increasing the size of the spot. We have been able to get excellent tints (around 6000°K and centered on the black body radiator line). Spill is going to be the same as the bezel and reflector geometry is the same."

And I would say that his description is pretty accurate. It can certainly appear like a much "floodier" light but I think it purely because of the overall larger beam. However it still seems to throw just as far only now there's a much larger spot on your target. To me it really seems like the best of both worlds. You still get very good throw for identifying targets down range but it also does a better job of lighting the room.

Hope that helps! =)

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sir, is a very respectable 30yd grouping. Definitely better than minute-of-deer. I sense quite a bit of practice. I've been watching squirrels from a treestand while holding a bow for a few years now, and have had a bit of success. No Matthews, but I do okay. Got a few cool flashlights to help get in and out when it's dark, too... :) :laughing:

Been shooting a bow since I was 14. Still have my first old Bear that my grandfather bought for me. Had put it down for several years until 2.5 years ago I broke 15 bones in an accident (should have died but I'm like a cockroach… that is hard to kill. If you see one of me that doesn't mean there are another 100 you don't see, unless all the voices in my head count as individual people).
Anyway, I thought it would be good physical therapy since both arms were broken, my right wrist crushed, and my clavicle was sticking out of my chest. I started with a 20 pound bow and worked my way up to 70 pounds in 6 months. I now continue to shoot daily.
Anyway, to keep on target, or topic rather, here is an interesting use of Henry's Universal Pocket Clip.
Come on, you just knew I was going to do this. Makes a pretty good mount when cut a tad and JB Welded to a bolt and screwed in in place of the stabilizer. It's the Dark Adaption Red with the flood reflector in Burnt Bronze.
DSC01502_zps10ecd24e.jpg

DSC01503_zpsf250af09.jpg

I would have used my Hyper Red for this, but I use that particular light daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.