HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

d13avo

Enlightened
Cheers Croquette thank you. Choices, choices. I love my Rotary 170 Nichia 219B but wondered what GDP was like.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

Croquette

Enlightened
Cheers Croquette thank you. Choices, choices. I love my Rotary 170 Nichia 219B but wondered what GDP was like.

I love my gdp but the beam is too tight for me. I use more oftenly my xpg 200 or the nichia 140 than the gdp.

d13avo

Enlightened
I've just gone for a closeout 140 Nichia 219A so now I have A and B, when is C being released 😗

L84CABO

Newly Enlightened
u4TmbsY.jpg

Gdp on the left, nichia on the right. Gdp throws very well but nichia is so beautiful :)
Sorry for the crappy picture taken with my phone.

It's Beauuuuuuuuutiful (insert crazy cat meme here). Thank you!

Been talking to Henry on this too as I need a new tailcap for my current light. He describes it as follows...

"The 325 is has a larger spot - not hugely larger but clearly larger than our regular lights. If you light has the Osram Golden Dragon LED, it has a narrower beam than our regular lights - so the difference in beam size will be larger. Throw will be somewhat further but most of the extra light goes into increasing the size of the spot. We have been able to get excellent tints (around 6000°K and centered on the black body radiator line). Spill is going to be the same as the bezel and reflector geometry is the same."

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
".... Spill is going to be the same as the bezel and reflector geometry is the same."

Not sure I agree with this last part since spill is the uncollimated light coming directly off the emitter and is unaffected by the reflector - you can see this by shining the light toward you and moving your eye through the beam. If the emitter is producing twice the lumens, the spill will be twice as bright.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure I agree with this last part since spill is the uncollimated light coming directly off the emitter and is unaffected by the reflector - you can see this by shining the light toward you and moving your eye through the beam. If the emitter is producing twice the lumens, the spill will be twice as bright.

Perhaps he was referring to the size of the spill beam since he started off talking about the size of the hot spot?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps he was referring to the size of the spill beam since he started off talking about the size of the hot spot?

Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case, but I would have thought all iterations of the HDS have about the same overall beam angle (+/- a couple of degrees), so why state the obvious when there is a significant difference.... elsewhere?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to keep in mind the XP-L has a bigger die size than the XP-G2. Even if the reflector is the same it will have a bigger hot spot and more light in the spill. That just the nature of reflections in a focused parabola. The true focus point is an infinitely small point and anything outside of that will reflect at a wider angle than the focus point thus giving you the bigger spot and more light in the spill.

In the case of the HDS light I don't think the difference between 250 and 325 is enough for the close-up spill to ruin the distance viewing that much. The larger spot and lower lux is what will have the greatest impact.

Think about how you will use this light the most and if outdoor distance is the most important probably going with the XP-G2 250 option will be better.

L84CABO

Newly Enlightened
You have to keep in mind the XP-L has a bigger die size than the XP-G2. Even if the reflector is the same it will have a bigger hot spot and more light in the spill. That just the nature of reflections in a focused parabola. The true focus point is an infinitely small point and anything outside of that will reflect at a wider angle than the focus point thus giving you the bigger spot and more light in the spill.

In the case of the HDS light I don't think the difference between 250 and 325 is enough for the close-up spill to ruin the distance viewing that much. The larger spot and lower lux is what will have the greatest impact.

Think about how you will use this light the most and if outdoor distance is the most important probably going with the XP-G2 250 option will be better.

For me, I was simply trying to figure out what the noticeable difference is going to be between my old 170 and the 325. I like the throw of the 170. And based on what Henry says, it looks like I end up with a little better throw but a bigger beam...which comes across more floody in a practical sense. But as long as I at least keep the same "throw" more or less, I'll probably be happy.

But really what I came down to was, "I just won't really know for sure until I get the light." LOL. So heck, my other light is 5-6 years old at this point so I might as well get it...and if I really don't like it, I'm sure I won't have too many problems selling it for a decent price. =)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I don't use a clip, but the more photos I see of it. The more I'm liking it.
I used to like clips, and still like some, but having lost two of my favorite lights over the years have a strong preference to medium-deep pocket carry with a recovery lanyard.

I like the make-out mode, but I agree, on future software releases, I think a slightly dimmer locator beacon and make-out modes would be preferable.
I hear you're starting a poll thread so I can vote in it. :wave:

How much would a ti hds cost?
Best guess is between $500 and $1000. It's not going to be cheap, that's for sure.
The original run of Titanium RaClicky's were being sold for 650.00.....

I would guess the newer ones would be between 800 and 1,000. But that's just a guesstimate
Henry said that the original pricing of $650 would be undoable and that guesses close to the four figure mark will be much closer than the rest.

They most definitely are. The Olive Drab and the Flat Dark Earth and both calling my name. Curious to see how they wear over the next 6 months or so when hopefully the 18350 battery tubes and the updated hardware will be available.
+1

I wasn't happy with the wear on my first cerakote Clicky, but looking at pics over the years since has me interested again, especially since I believe that the application may have been faulty on that first one. Definitely liking the idea of the 18350 as well.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK...which body part could I sell to fund a titanium HDS Rotary?

Kidney? Appendix? Don't think I could afford to sell a lung,I need both of them.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not put down my prototype 17670 tube since I snagged it a while back.
It satisfied my hunger for an AMCE threaded extended tube.

Dan, I'm assuming the 18650 tubes are wider than the proto 17670 I have ?
Or do they look similar?

Thanks !

What's the OAL of your 17670 prototype?

If it's a raised button version, how much height does the button add?

Croquette

Enlightened
Xz2bqcc.jpg

Gdp 140 on max left, xpg 200 on max right.
Hot spot is more intense on the gdp but the spill is more usable on the xpg in interior.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shame the LE is gone. I guess we can always program an Executive like an LE. Here's the specs.

Turns on to: 110 lumens, runtime: 2.75 hours (tactical), 3.75 hours (ANSI).

Press-and-hold: 250 lumens, runtime: 1.65 hours (tactical), 2.0 hours (ANSI).

Thanks.

Double-click: 9 lumens, runtime: 30 hours (ANSI).

Triple-click: Tactical Strobe, runtime: 6.75 hours (tactical), 9 hours (ANSI).

Thanks.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sent from my nintendo using Candlepowerforums

The grass is always greener my friend. I have a 120 GDP and wonder what the 170 219B looks like.

The GDP is VERY throwy. It reminds me of a dim EB2.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between those two leds I would use the 219B indoor and the Golden Dragon led outdoor.

I prefer to use the 3700k HCRI both indoors and outdoor. I really do not like warm lights, but the XP-G HCRI HDS grew on me. The throw in this light is pretty decent too.

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer to use the 3700k HCRI both indoors and outdoor. I really do not like warm lights, but the XP-G HCRI HDS grew on me. The throw in this light is pretty decent too.

I'm in the same boat. I'm not a tint snob and certainly don't mind a good cool tint, but the HDS High CRI stuff is really good. Some warm tints just look like tainted light.

Status
Not open for further replies.