HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies in advance but could someone inform me what is so unsafe about a CR123?

Perhaps I could have worded that better? I was stating there would be a negligible ( nearly irrelevant ) safety difference between 2 X AA vs 1 CR123. For example, you store your CR123's in your humid garage for a year, this would be bad. The same could be said for AA, but the energy in a single CR123 trumps that of say 2 X AA Alkalines. You may ( will ) get a leaky light with Alkalines vs something possibly more "eventful" with a CR123 that has been improperly stored or abused. Hence my reference to "novice". In short, with simple common sense and a decent understanding of batteries ( 99.999999999% of HDS owners ) 2 X AA and 1 CR123 would very likely be the same in the safety department provided you use quality cells and store them properly........ Not to over analyze, but in the event of salt water ingress in conjunction with a CR123 the outcome would be much more undesirable than with simple Alkalines. This is noted on the HDS website ( not the AA part ). An unlikely event as the light is very waterproof but not recommended as a dive light.

TLDR: I was thinking all scenarios AA vs CR123. Use common sense and proper storage and you'll be fine with CR123 or AA. HDS Lights also have multiple safety measures to insure safe usage even with something a little more Flashaholic such as an 18650 provided you practice good judgement.

Anyone with more knowledge feel free to jump in here if I've misstated something. Im more of a Hogo type.... little elves in the light. :)

I woould not play down the effect that CPF has had on Henry's business. 3260 posts in this thread #18 of the series. Lot's of CPF'ers, and lurkers are buying his lights. I have five myself.

Bill

I think CPF is a measurable amount and very relevant to HDS, Henry has been very good to us. But as Hogo said, Henry is function over form. The ano dosen't match? It won't match after you beat the snot out of it while deployed overseas. The second supersedes the first in the priority and design of the light. Perfect ano on every light would also take a considerable amount of more time to execute. While it may not match it will hold up better in protecting the light than anything I've come across.

* Ano part has nothing to do with Bills post but was relevant in context of the beginning of the subject.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Hogo has stated in the past that the CPF market is not the primary buyer of Henry's lights. Sure, we have many as a group, but the majority are sold elsewhere. Thus, the changes he makes and features he offers, while perhaps taking into account our views, do not always, as his other buyers' needs and wants are important and may not coincide with ours.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Still waiting for the 18350 unicorn battery tube. While the 18650 tube gives impressive run times, the size takes it from a pocket light to a belt light. The 18350 would provide better run time while maintaining the pocket light form factor.
I don't have any problem carrying 18650 lights in my pocket vertically for lanyard access and I think they are actually the most perfectly sized lights for carrying in this manner.

I'm interested in both 18350 for my short lights but would also like to get a 18650 tube for the incredible capacity.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo has stated in the past that the CPF market is not the primary buyer of Henry's lights. Sure, we have many as a group, but the majority are sold elsewhere. Thus, the changes he makes and features he offers, while perhaps taking into account our views, do not always, as his other buyers' needs and wants are important and may not coincide with ours.

Well said.

Orangie

Newly Enlightened
I woould not play down the effect that CPF has had on Henry's business. 3260 posts in this thread #18 of the series. Lot's of CPF'ers, and lurkers are buying his lights. I have five myself.

Bill

Also, how would he know if I were a CPF member if I purchased one? I am actually thinking of getting into these lights.
I have $10k+ in folding knives, I'm not sure if the makers or dealers are aware of my presence on B.F. Other than the odd code that gets out there.
Cheers

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO the truth is that we will never really know what effect CPF truly has on HDS' overall business unless Henry chooses to disclose his sales numbers. We know that Henry sells his lights to law enforcement but we don't know if that is through contracts for set quantities and price or not. We also don't know how many of these deals he has. Without making any further assumptions that may or may not be accurate it is my opinion that the business CPF brings to HDS is a significant part of his overall annual sales but probably not a majority.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
IMO the truth is that we will never really know what effect CPF truly has on HDS' overall business unless Henry chooses to disclose his sales numbers. We know that Henry sells his lights to law enforcement but we don't know if that is through contracts for set quantities and price or not. We also don't know how many of these deals he has. Without making any further assumptions that may or may not be accurate it is my opinion that the business CPF brings to HDS is a significant part of his overall annual sales but probably not a majority.
+1

Speaking of CPF it's also worth noting that many, many buyers of HDS lights that are not associated here have made their decisions based on recommendations either in person or from having read reviews put up by CPF'ers. Those numbers would never show up in sales stats, but having made a few converts who never joined here myself I know that this actually makes our influence of at least of some importance among the general public through Google searches.

nbp

Flashaholic
+2

I agree - my thoughts on his sales figures has nothing to do with my enjoyment and use of the HDS lights.

It matters only in the sense that some members seem to think that whatever CPF wants, Henry will do, since we buy most of his lights. As that is fallacious reasoning, no one should get too bent out of shape if we like something and Henry doesn't do it. That's really the only reason the sales figures would matter - to illustrate that there could be a large segment of buyers that like something and motivate Henry to keep or drop a certain feature regardless of CPFs views.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone ordered an 18650 tube as of yet?
I plan on ordering a 320 lumen rotary style with the 18650 tube myself.
Just waiting on my Hyper Red Clicky with 18650 tube to arrive first.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of yours once it arrives... I placed my order this weekend: exec (clicky), 250, blk/blk, 18650.

603a9d3b44b61b15198b12f1b3f83ea7.jpg

53c3899685011253b6132c6c807e220b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.