HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Newly Enlightened
I believe you will be sent a replacement bezel, then you'll have to send the old bezel :)

That would be optimal since it's an easy replacement part :). At first try w/ the HDS FAQ, I was having difficulty getting the reflector separated from the bezel, hence "damn, send it in." But just got them separated. :twothumbs

Lithium466

Enlightened
I was offered this option with a battery tube, I'm confident you'll be offered te same with the bezel :)
Be careful not to put grease on the lens (nighthmare to clean properly without damaging the surface), or worse, the reflector...believe me, I know what I'm talking about...

darwin

Newly Enlightened
Would my black bezel hold up? Mine too is from the 4000K run. Man, this is worrying.

It sounds like Henry pulls bezels out of a bin... And some of the ones mixed in with the bin weren't quite right. Same parts bins as the standard lights, so there's a good chance yours is fine. I just got lucky.

The good news is, if it doesn't happen quickly, it probably won't happen.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys that looks like the AItiN coating which I personally don't like the appearance of. There were a few I heard about that wound up like the one pictured here. I have one and it's fine but I d rather have a bold jet black one... I also believe because of the problems with the coating they were discontinued and replaced by the bolder black coating... If my memory serves me right. I would recommend giving HDS a call.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys that looks like the AItiN coating which I personally don't like the appearance of. There were a few I heard about that wound up like the one pictured here. I have one and it's fine but I d rather have a bold jet black one... I also believe because of the problems with the coating they were discontinued and replaced by the bolder black coating... If my memory serves me right. I would recommend giving HDS a call.
I think you are right. That looks like AlTin alright. I do recall a bad batch of AlTin coating but I wonder why Henry is still using that since he had long ago changed it to the new jet black coating?

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
Here a picture of the two coatings side by side and thanks for jinxing my light. I literally just noticed the marking on the bezel today.

20150722_0023501_zps6z0unamm.jpg

By the way, the fenix bike mount and a HDS Tactical 325 go together really well!

20150720_1742141_zpshahs7czj.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
Would my black bezel hold up? Mine too is from the 4000K run. Man, this is worrying.
I know how to find out! If you don't live near the ocean just find a salt water fish tank.

What is the new jet black coating? Is it just ano? The AlTiN coating on the bezels of Eagletacs is tough as nails. It is also shinier. The ano on my eagletac on my keyring wore out before the AlTiN on the bezel.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like a dodgy vendor. If thats the case, 2 things are guaranteed.

1) That dude will feel the wrath of Henry.

2) IF you have a problem, he will remedy it in quick fashion.

HDS & Malkoff would be the 2 fastest in warranty work I have observed. ( Haven't personally needed it though. )

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know how to find out! If you don't live near the ocean just find a salt water fish tank.

What is the new jet black coating? Is it just ano? The AlTiN coating on the bezels of Eagletacs is tough as nails. It is also shinier. The ano on my eagletac on my keyring wore out before the AlTiN on the bezel.
Hogo mentioned it once but I can't quite recall what the coating was. Something similar to AlTiN.

It looks like a dodgy vendor. If thats the case, 2 things are guaranteed.

1) That dude will feel the wrath of Henry.

2) IF you have a problem, he will remedy it in quick fashion.

HDS & Malkoff would be the 2 fastest in warranty work I have observed. ( Haven't personally needed it though. )
Personally tried Henry's warranty many times, close to 10 times or thereabouts. At least I know he stands behind his products and I am confident.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Morning

I also have a spot on the bezel where the nitrite is wearing off since some time. Is this the same problem? Can I just sand the whole bezel? I'd like to sand my spare tailcap too. How can I remove the plastic and rubber parts from the tailcap before sanding?

IMG_20150722_091358_zps3fv3z9gj.jpg

Kind regards,
HP

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo mentioned it once but I can't quite recall what the coating was. Something similar to AlTiN.

Personally tried Henry's warranty many times, close to 10 times or thereabouts. At least I know he stands behind his products and I am confident.

That has got to be a record. How many have you owned? I know every manufacturer has an occasional bad run of a components, but HDS is the only one I know who proactively tests components to failure to insure reliability.

I know electronics fail, but I've had no reservations carrying an HDS as an only light in semi-critical applications.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
That might be stretching the imagination a bit. You seriously think no other manufacturer tests their product to failure?

Not so much a stretch of the imagination as much as a poorly framed statement. I know Henry to be very proactive in going through each component and figuring out ways to make it fail. Do other manufactures do this, of course. It's my belief thought Henry goes the extra mile and have seen him make near instant changes if a component doesn't meet spec or seems to be glitchy, in contrast to other very popular manufacturers who know of issues and simply keep pumping them out the door until they figure out whats wrong. We have seen Henry put the breaks on if he feels he might be shipping something substandard like a poor component, or bad machining, often no doubt costing him quite a bit. I do not see the same commitment from most other light manufactures. I would wager that the bezel issue if at all possible is resolved and that vendor is sorted out.

I must look mad at this point but I'll say it again. Im very critical at times when manufactures aren't shipping what they are advertising especially in regards to reliability. In the 8 years of reading CPF, Malkoff & HDS seem to be exceptionally committed to their craft and if something falls short they are very eager to get you sorted out.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forest, you are not mad at all... On the contrary even you may not know how right you are. In America there are those who put pride in their work and those who don't and it's difficult to find a company now days who puts quality first rather than mass production and profit. I ve been in manufacturing and know how this works and as an American I find it sad that it is so difficult to find well made products with the backing of the company. A lot of this is due to globalisation or sending goods over to China and other places, getting it made and sending it back for us to buy. Bottom line for me is if I'm spending my money then as much as absolutely possible I will buy American products made in the USA but I also expect to get what I pay for. Before I ever heard of HDS I thought Surefire was too expensive, then the more I wanted something different I was pushed to look at HDS and now today I understand that I should have looked into HDS a long time ago. I m happy I changed and would I count on a HDS if my life depended on it? YES I would! These days businesses who put the customer and the quality of their product first are a rare breed. Owners of these businesses who take time to support their customers concerns are even rarer.

Pelican305

Newly Enlightened
Just registered so that I can hop into the second group buy of the xp-l 4000k. after reading through it seems like it would be a solid choice for my first HDS light.

rickyro

Enlightened
Even I like HDS so much, just number 2 after McGizmo, I still think we don't need to put HDS in some shrine to kotou everyday and are afraid of saying anything negative. Nobody is perfect except God/Budda/Chairman Mao/King Jong-un:)

The donuts in Nichia 219 head of last year batch is one example. And now the wear off of coating is another (I remember this was reported before).

American made products surprise me more with their unique design, the creativity, and practical oriented philosophy. As to the details of production and quality control, they may not be on par with Japanese made products, or some of the best mass production Chinese made ones (such as Apple). But here in CPF, most manufactures we care about is actually small workshops. Their products may even have more problems from the quality control, and from not enough test. But again, the creativity, unique innovations, and at the same time the practicality, the robust in the basic functions, the quality of raw materials chosen always amaze me so a lot and call me back to buy more and more USA made flashlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.