HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkpdle

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting idea. However time of day would play an important part of that along with the accuracy of the white balance of the device.

This fact didn't escape me when I made the post. But I was also hoping to see the entirety of the scene lit up, making it easier to see the effectiveness of the each light for illuminating parts of the scene as well.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never saw that picture before..very nice 200lumens we have here:eek:...@eala,any chance for 120xpg vs 200nichia please sir?

Nope. I don't own the 120xpg. I did at one point. I much prefer the 200 High CRI frankly. The 120 was too warm for me.

Any chance you can post the same picture during the day, so we can examine the color accuracy?

Ask and get. HOWEVER, I just restained the climber today! So, it is actually a fresh coat of stain on it. Climber was catching evening light. Also, white balance was set on AUTO.

R1068004_zpsfkbcp04m.jpg

Very interesting idea. However time of day would play an important part of that along with the accuracy of the white balance of the device.

I think so too. The diffuse nature of light with light clouding as we have makes this appear quite differently than at night with a flashlight.

I no longer own all of the lights I used for my original photos, so can't do any more comparisons.

eala

Brussell

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered my HDS Rotary 250. Recieved this email.

"Your order has been received and should ship in about 6 weeks. The reason for the longer that normal ship time is that we are retooling the rotary mechanism to make it easier to manufacture and more robust. You will receive a shipping confirmation when it ships.

Thanks,

Henry."

Anyone aware of this "retooling"?? I ordered this light based on reviews of current designe. Hope not too much is changing.

GearHunter

Enlightened

"Your order has been received and should ship in about 6 weeks. The reason for the longer that normal ship time is that we are retooling the rotary mechanism to make it easier to manufacture and more robust. You will receive a shipping confirmation when it ships.

Thanks,

Henry."

Anyone aware of this "retooling"?? I ordered this light based on reviews of current designe. Hope not too much is changing.

We have heard that a new improved rotary mechanism was being designed. It is too bad about the shipping delay but rest assured if Henry is making a change it a positive change. Stick around , in a day or so you will hear folks bummed that they ordered too soon!
oh and welcome aboard CPF and soon to the world of HDS fans....enjoy.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Some months back Henry had talked about making the already robust mechanism even more durable and this must be the start that improvement. Interested in seeing what the change consists of but I'm already perfectly happy with my Rotary as it is and I already got the upgrade I was more interested in with the firmware upgrades.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I got the same email a week ago. Not sure what the retooling entails but I bet it will be an improvement even if the benefits are not immediately apparent. I also expect the retooled Rotary will be interchangeable with older models. Whatever the case, I can't wait to get it.

djj

Newly Enlightened
Since I got my rotary HiCRI 120, he's added a lower low, better emitter (higher CRI, closer temp to daylight, more efficient), goodies like candle mode, and now this.

My current rotary is easily the best and most used light I've had, and I'm not in a huge rush to upgrade... But do I hold out for another improvement, maybe the titanium rotary, or go for it?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I got my rotary HiCRI 120, he's added a lower low, better emitter (higher CRI, closer temp to daylight, more efficient), goodies like candle mode, and now this.

My current rotary is easily the best and most used light I've had, and I'm not in a huge rush to upgrade... But do I hold out for another improvement, maybe the titanium rotary, or go for it?
I agree. I never really miss any of the new upgrades when I go back to my 120 HCRI rotary other than the flatter flushed switch which is a real breeze to click now. At least it allows for flat tail standing.

mau91

Newly Enlightened

Thanks,

Henry."

I got a Rotary from the first 4000k XP-L group buy and found the rotary mechanism to be significantly harder to turn than my older 170 Tactical (and I don't mean "harder" as though it's a bad thing - it reduces the likelihood of turning or bumping the switch past the level you want). I wonder if this is related to the retooling?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a Rotary from the first 4000k XP-L group buy and found the rotary mechanism to be significantly harder to turn than my older 170 Tactical (and I don't mean "harder" as though it's a bad thing - it reduces the likelihood of turning or bumping the switch past the level you want). I wonder if this is related to the retooling?
Having owned 4 rotaries, a spare CR123 tube and an 18650 tube, making it 6 rotaries in my possession, I can only say that they all varies in the amount of resistance when turning the rotary switch. My spare CR123 body tube with protruding switch is the hardest to turn and would usually result in a sore thumb after a few rounds with it. The one on my 170 neutral white rotary is the smoothest of the lot and hardly requires any effort to turn. The one on my 4000K XP-L and 200 high CRI are similar in resistance and has a nice balance between easy turning and easily turned.

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
Is there a retailer that stocks HDS in the UK anymore?. I know ledfiretorches used to which is where I bought a 120T and a 200T, but so far I can't see anyone. I don't mind importing but It would be nice if there was someone local.

Lantern32

Enlightened
Is there a retailer that stocks HDS in the UK anymore?. I know ledfiretorches used to which is where I bought a 120T and a 200T, but so far I can't see anyone. I don't mind importing but It would be nice if there was someone local.

I use to live in the UK. It's very expensive to get things imported; however, I ended up paying for it. It's quite ironic buying a product made in the U.S, when you live in England! Even though I moved to the U.S, I find myself buying many things from England! I just love English goods! Especially things like classy pens, etc.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt the HDS experts know this but Here's what Henry had to say about servicing modified HDS lights:

Although our published warranty excludes modifications, we take the position that if the mod was not the cause of the failure, we will fix the light under warranty. If the mod was the cause of the failure, we will do what we can to get your light functioning again and let you know that the cost will be.

GearHunter

Enlightened

I think this is about as close as you will come. There are 3 EU dealers on the bottom of the list. Hope it helps.

http://www.hdssystems.com/Content/Dealers/

Status
Not open for further replies.