HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we start speculating on the upcoming headlamp:tinfoil:
I'm attracted to the HDS rotary interface and the efficient driver but for me the size is just way too big for a CR123 light.
Now with the Nichia 4000K real HCRI option I'm weakening.
Ever since Henry's post on the headlamp I've been quietly hoping for basically a mini HDS with just rotary knob and no button.
Something nice and light to go on the head but can easily be used as a regular flashlight as well.

Anyone else getting ideas on what might be in store come shot show 2016?

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am excited about a real headlamp from HDS. What I don't want is another SF Minimus; the single 123 rotary headlamp that lasts for one hour already exists. I one it and love it - and I don't need, heck, the world doesn't need, another great headlamp that SF already sells.

Clearly, it's already been designed and a prototype has probably been assembled. I hope it has a reflector and I hope it is in the current HDS lumens range (ie, 325). Finally, I hope that in addition to primaries, it will be able to run on rechargeables as well. Besides those three things, I'm wide open...and excited. :)

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am excited about a real headlamp from HDS. What I don't want is another SF Minimus; the single 123 rotary headlamp that lasts for one hour already exists. I one it and love it - and I don't need, heck, the world doesn't need, another great headlamp that SF already sells.

Clearly, it's already been designed and a prototype has probably been assembled. I hope it has a reflector and I hope it is in the current HDS lumens range (ie, 325). Finally, I hope that in addition to primaries, it will be able to run on rechargeables as well. Besides those three things, I'm wide open...and excited. :)

But does the Minimus have the choice of emitter like we do in an HDS? Or are you stuck with the typical disgusting tints that SF is known for?

I swear they compete with 4-7's to buy the crappiest tints.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rotary interface would be great for the headlamp, you dial it up to the level you need for the given circumstances. Task oriented use requires finer control of intensity. I hope it will have more than 325 lumens (multi-emitter perhaps) and a hinged lens for diffusing the beam (or some other means to provide uniform wide-angle illumination). If using the headlamp for camping, caving, or other excursions into the wild, then HiCRI for near beam would seem a must have.

When I go running late at night, I actually prefer to wear my headlamps around my waist; Eureka! A waist lamp! :candle: I hope Henry can jigger something up for that.

What would others like to see in an HDS headlamp? Curious minds want to know!

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we start speculating on the upcoming headlamp:tinfoil:
Well, Henry has always describe it as "Think of everything you hate in a headlamp, and picture a headlamp that solves every one of those problems."

It's quite a bold claim.

ThumperACC

Newly Enlightened
Wow, the silence in here is deafening. :rolleyes:

So, I emailed Henry last week to inquire about how the rotary redesign is going and when I might expect my Tactical rotary to ship. He said " We had a part show up late but we anticipate resuming shipping by late next week. " This was last Tuesday, so that translates into Henry expects to resume shipping of rotary lights late this week.

Watching my inbox patiently...
ThumperACC

recDNA

Flashaholic
"Thank you for patiently waiting".

Phone reps, especially from overseas, often say that while mindlessly scrambling for a script to tell you what to do next. I always want to tell them I'm not the least bit patient.

ironhorse

Enlightened
I think I figured out why Hogo hasn't been here lately.

He has one of the new headlights. He's sworn to secrecy. He's afraid something will slip when he's "sampling" the rum. So he's had his Internet disconnected until the official release at shot show.

ThumperACC

Newly Enlightened
or

This is wishful thinking and somebody needs to get Henry a calendar. I'm just saying.

I too lived through the period 4 years ago when Henry was having all his production problems, where any time he was asked the response would be 'in a couple of weeks'. I don't see that happening here. On October 12 (6 weeks ago) Henry told me about 6 weeks. 4 weeks ago, Henry told someone on this forum 'about 3-4 weeks'. Last week Henry told me 'end of this week', which happens to be within the 6th week of his original estimate to me. It did occur to me that late this week is Thanksgiving, but hell, if he started next week instead of late this week, then I'd be happy for Henry and all his customers that are waiting like me.

I firmly believe Henry is doing the best that he can, and I am willing to cut him a break on this one.

ThumperACC

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I firmly believe Henry is doing the best that he can, and I am willing to cut him a break on this one.
ThumperACC

For what it's worth for those who are waiting..... I have met the man and legend in person. I actually asked him specifically about wait times in the past. The short answer, if a vendor delivers parts that do not meet exact specifications they are flat out rejected. There is zero compromise when it comes to the quality of the parts he receives. It is also hard to nail down machine shops and lead times as you can only go by what they tell you. Henry is the very definition of a perfectionist and it shows in the lights he makes and his rather large following.

I can assure you 3 things.

1) You will receive your light.

2) It will be worth the wait.

3) You will be the owner of one of the finest lights in the world.

Henry is a stand up guy as well as his partner in rum... Hogo.... Both deliver nothing short of excellence and it's worth every agonizing second of wait time.

Enjoy you're lights when they land!

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
:hahaha:

I think I figured out why Hogo hasn't been here lately.

He has one of the new headlights. He's sworn to secrecy. He's afraid something will slip when he's "sampling" the rum. So he's had his Internet disconnected until the official release at shot show.

Thats possible but don't think thats it. He likely got into the RUM again.....DANG IT HOGO!

In all seriousness..... I bet you dollars to donuts he is helping out Henry at the very time of this post. He is very generous with his time participating on CPF and helping out Henry in the shop.... in addition to producing some of the finest leatherwork in the USA. Remember every light is hand assembled and calibrated....If a shop holds you up on any part, that can be a large obstacle in production time.

Just for the record. I vouch for no manufactures except for 2. HDS & Malkoff. I am very skimpy with praise. Doesn't mean I don't like other brands.. but these are exceptional companies with the best quality and warranty available.

Robe

Enlightened
Been waiting for 3 months for my rotary. What's a 'lil bit more? ;-)

Going to be awesome when it's ready

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I also emailed Henry a couple of days ago and he replied that rotaries will begin shipping next week, with my own order estimated to ship late in the week. The estimates have been getting shorter so things are moving along.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been waiting for 3 months for my rotary. What's a 'lil bit more? ;-)

Going to be awesome when it's ready

Yeah...Thats is a bit, no doubt... but It's ah coming!!

I didn't know he was implementing a new Rotary design??

I think the "old" design broke about ZERO times....That thing was pretty stout....

Henry has a habit of finding ways to "break" his stuff then "fix" it....The dude is MAD! He is obsessed with making better.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth for those who are waiting..... I have met the man and legend in person. I actually asked him specifically about wait times in the past. The short answer, if a vendor delivers parts that do not meet exact specifications they are flat out rejected. There is zero compromise when it comes to the quality of the parts he receives.
This is why I've never minded the long wait times (I waited nearly six-months to receive my high CRI Rotary when they were first released). Henry could easily burn through his backlog if he compromised quality -- and this is what other shops would do without a second thought -- so I appreciate the fact that despite the sometimes long wait, I'm getting the best light that Henry can make.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...Thats is a bit, no doubt... but It's ah coming!!

I didn't know he was implementing a new Rotary design??

I think the "old" design broke about ZERO times....That thing was pretty stout....

Henry has a habit of finding ways to "break" his stuff then "fix" it....The dude is MAD! He is obsessed with making better.
There is one instance I know of where the dial failed when someone dropped a Rotary from their motorcycle at highway speeds. The light still worked, just the dial action was erratic. This is what prompted Henry to seek a more robust design, which I think is hilarious. Only Henry would be disappointed that his design failed when hitting the pavement at 60 miles per hour. Most people would call it a success if the light functioned at all after that.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is one instance I know of where the dial failed when someone dropped a Rotary from their motorcycle at highway speeds. The light still worked, just the dial action was erratic. This is what prompted Henry to seek a more robust design, which I think is hilarious. Only Henry would be disappointed that his design failed when hitting the pavement at 60 miles per hour. Most people would call it a success if the light functioned at all after that.

LOL

I knew someone would dig something like that up....It's amazing it still worked, sounds like it seized...it is an aluminum moving part...so I suppose if he made the light 4X as thick on the dial.....kidding

I believe that happened to a McGizmo as well but remained in pocket and was just sanded down on one side.

I wonder what the ANSI symbol would be for " Dropped from Motorcycle @ 60+ MPH ". Maybe a little head in a helmet & a Max Speed sign?

:crackup:

Status
Not open for further replies.