HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
Lol. I agree with her! Dropped in the grass a bright beacon is nice but on a nightstand it's a bit too bright!

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
That the Rotary needs a pocket clip is a common misconception.

DmfM52Ah.jpg

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because of PayPal rules 30 days is my max wait time. I obviously don't buy custom lights unless someone already has it on hand to sell. I won't try to defend my impatience. It's just part of my personality. Like when I sell a light it is in the mail the next day. It just is. Of course I don't own a business so I understand they have to maximize profit over delivery speed.

My HDS lights have come from dealers who had them in stock and were selling below list price. Beam profile and tint are more important to me than sub lumen performance and run time. It is the rotary UI that keeps me interested. Nobody else still makes one in a 1 x CR123A format AFAIK
PayPal covers you for 6 months now for items not delivered in most cases.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't want to let any cats out that weren't supposed to be but I think it's okay to say that we'll eventually have Rotary controlled dimming for the candle mode, a feature that some don't care about, and others of us actually use.
That's one feature is asked for a little while back. It just needs at least three levels, although I bet he delivers more. One higher, and one lower than the current mode would make me happy. He's probably going to have 22 different levels just like the standard modes, the higher mode will no longer be candle mode. It'll be bonfire mode.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'd also like to be able to control the brightness of the locator beacon.
I just got off the phone and he added it to his list of back burner items to consider, but probably won't be available until something else big happens, and eventually trickles down to the rest of the lights. At least it's officially on his list of things to maybe consider sometime in the unforeseeable future. :grin2:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally made it home to check out my twins (poor quality pic)
Dj6vSwE.jpg

325lm 123/ hicri 219b 18650

On the 18650 head you will notice it looks dirty, these are the way they arrived. Initial impressions:

Minor dislikes: you will notice they used 2 different stop screws (the Philips head looks cheap for a high end light
The stop tab/nipple has fairly sharp/rough edges and can be bothersome on occasion but mostly not an issue
Knurling is pretty smooth and does not serve it's purpose. With it's smooth texture it serves mostly for aesthetics

Overall build quality and design are great.

I can see now, why many of you prefer the 123 size, but i do not find the 18650 too big/long (18650 runtime trumps 123, so 18650 will probably be my choice)
I like the rotary ui, it is a nice change from the various clicky ui's and side switches.

I really like the tint of the 219B and 200lm output does not appear to be too far off from the 325lm. The 325lm is closer to a borderline neutral/true white tint, not nearly as bad as i was expecting. on lower levels, i can see some of the tint issues that have been mentioned but they seem more apparent when shining on walls. In actual use It does not appear to be as much of an issue. I haven't had much time to play with them yet. The 325 may stay as is or I may try a lee filter, but it only needs a shade or 2 to get close to where it needs to be.

When shining a malkoff M91T or M61HOT (which have a slight hint of blue) next to the 325; the 325 actually appears neutral with a slightly creamy tint to it. This is not quite the case when shining the 325 by itself.

Overall i am happy with my purchase. I do not really need 2 HDS's/rotaries but it will be hard to decide between the 2 sizes. Tint definitely goes to the Nichia. too early to tell but the beam profiles seem really good as well; nice amount of spill and good range for typical use. I do believe the 325 does have a slightly broader profile with it's larger emitter.

I think that is all I have for now

Last edited:

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally made it home to check out my twins (poor quality pic)

325lm 123/ hicri 219b 18650

On the 18650 head you will notice it looks dirty, these are the way they arrived. Initial impressions:

Minor dislikes: you will notice they used 2 different stop screws (the Philips head looks cheap for a high end light
The stop tab/nipple has fairly sharp/rough edges and can be bothersome on occasion but mostly not an issue
Knurling is pretty smooth and does not serve it's purpose. With it's smooth texture it serves mostly for aesthetics

Overall build quality and design are great.

I can see now, why many of you prefer the 123 size, but i do not find the 18650 too big/long (18650 runtime trumps 123, so 18650 will probably be my choice)
I like the rotary ui, it is a nice change from the various clicky ui's and side switches.

I really like the tint of the 219B and 200lm output does not appear to be too far off from the 325lm. The 325lm is closer to a borderline neutral/true white tint, not nearly as bad as i was expecting. on lower levels, i can see some of the tint issues that have been mentioned but they seem more apparent when shining on walls. In actual use It does not appear to be as much of an issue. I haven't had much time to play with them yet. The 325 may stay as is or I may try a lee filter, but it only needs a shade or 2 to get close to where it needs to be.

When shining a malkoff M91T or M61HOT (which have a slight hint of blue) next to the 325; the 325 actually appears neutral with a slightly creamy tint to it. This is not quite the case when shining the 325 by itself.

Overall i am happy with my purchase. I do not really need 2 HDS's/rotaries but it will be hard to decide between the 2 sizes. Tint definitely goes to the Nichia. too early to tell but the beam profiles seem really good as well; nice amount of spill and good range for typical use. I do believe the 325 does have a slightly broader profile with it's larger emitter.

I think that is all I have for now

Good post, odd that you got one with a torx, I received a high cri rotary this week with a Philips head. My setup is a 18650 250 lumen clicky and a 123 hcri rotary. Great blend of edc with comfort and throwy light with runtime. It's interesting, I found the 250 lumen to be throwyer than the 350 lumen and is a perfect pair. The 325 is floody as is the hcri as I'm sure you've found.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the lights wet & the knurling somehow becomes "sharp" & very grippy.
I'll have to clean them up and see what happens. After I posted last night, I played around with the knurling. The 18650 body does actually have some aggressivness to it in one direction. For my use it's really not an issue, I only use my lights when needed and mainly for when i let my dog out while we are traveling the country.

Good post, odd that you got one with a torx, I received a high cri rotary this week with a Philips head. My setup is a 18650 250 lumen clicky and a 123 hcri rotary. Great blend of edc with comfort and throwy light with runtime. It's interesting, I found the 250 lumen to be throwyer than the 350 lumen and is a perfect pair. The 325 is floody as is the hcri as I'm sure you've found.

I actually haven't been able to take them out to get a full idea of beam profile. It is very weird how they used 2 different screws, I definitely prefer the torx.

I wanted to try both sizes of lights and chose rotary for both since the rotary can be configured as a clicky as well. Now I am wondering if I should have just went with 1 clicky and 1 rotary. I guess for my use rotaries will be just fine. For those in a very dirty, possibly wet/humid environment; the clicky may be a better option (as it can be taken apart and cleaned)

Unfortunately, I bought roughly 17 new lights this past month and have limited time where I can really check them out. Winter time does not help either(as I keep getting older, I do not like to be in the cold when i do not have to) I will eventually get everything figured out and narrow down what i need and/or like.

I do really like the rotaries though and I was originally worried about 200lm, but i think they appear to light up an area better than you would think 200lm would. I am Impressed and it was money well spent

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually haven't been able to take them out to get a full idea of beam profile. It is very weird how they used 2 different screws, I definitely prefer the torx.

My assumption is that Henry has inventory of assembled 123 tubes with the Philips but the 18650 is new with new screws. Unfortunately my 18650 tube is a clicky so I cant verify, I'm curious if anyone can confirm.

indigon

Enlightened
My 18650 rotary tube came in a few months ago with a torx screw, the 250 rotary I ordered for a friend last month came with a philips screw. The torx screw head has straight sides and makes more sense than the round head philips, but I have never had an issue (or heard of one) with the round head philips screw.

Congrats on the fraternal twins Infrnl, nice pair! :thumbsup:
-And a very constructive mini-review with your initial impressions.
Play with them outside a while, then take them in for a bath.
(I've had them come in from HDS with a little shop oil on them, no worries there.)
Have never had an issue with the rough stop tab edges on a rotary in any way.
I think the current knurling pattern is just right, particularly in the rain.
(The knurling on the old Novatac's was a little too aggressive IMHO.)

The only issue you may have is sometimes the flush button is a little hard to access in the cold with gloves on, the raised button may be better.
In any case you won't have any problem trading over to a clicky should you ever decide to, just something to keep in mind.

-Ron

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 18650 rotary tube came in a few months ago with a torx screw, the 250 rotary I ordered for a friend last month came with a philips screw. The torx screw head has straight sides and makes more sense than the round head philips, but I have never had an issue (or heard of one) with the round head philips screw.

Congrats on the fraternal twins Infrnl, nice pair! :thumbsup:
-And a very constructive mini-review with your initial impressions.
Play with them outside a while, then take them in for a bath.
(I've had them come in from HDS with a little shop oil on them, no worries there.)
Have never had an issue with the rough stop tab edges on a rotary in any way.
I think the current knurling pattern is just right, particularly in the rain.
(The knurling on the old Novatac's was a little too aggressive IMHO.)

The only issue you may have is sometimes the flush button is a little hard to access in the cold with gloves on, the raised button may be better.
In any case you won't have any problem trading over to a clicky should you ever decide to, just something to keep in mind.

-Ron
Thanks, yeah the complaints(more like nitpicks) really are minor; just thought I'd post them anyway. There were a couple of times I had the lights in my pocket and went in to get them and grabbed where that little ear/nipple is and found it to be a bit pokey rather than sharp (perhaps) I don't think it would ever cut skin but it's not smooth as it is if you run your finger from top edge towards tailcap. They actually rounded it or whatever to make it smooth this way; just not rubbing across sideways(especially at the corners). Either way not a big deal.

Yes, I can see where a protruding button would make life easier, I just prefer flush for tail standing. My getting older tired hands have already noticed the flush button being difficult at times(more so on the 123 body, have to get my hand into contortion mode...:crackup:)

I definitely need to get them out in the wild to see what they can do. I'll report back within the next couple weeks, should have some thoughts then.

The philips head stop screw works just fine, i just think it looks a bit cheap in comparison to a torx head or even an allen head. I won't even notice it after time, just a minor nitpick

On a side note: someone mentioned somewhere that they did not like the rotary cause it wobbled or what not. During normal use this isn't a factor. However if you hold the light and check for any kind of movement; it definitely wobbles and is probably what that member is referring to.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, how many of you has an open tab with HDS on it (Periodically refreshing the accessory page. Hoping to see the 18350 body listed / available to purchase)? Raise your hand! Don't be shy, lets see them hands!

Shoot, I know can't be the only one! ... :candle:

Anonymous ... :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.