HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, thanks F89, I appreciate your time and encouragement not to change anything.

No worries.
In my opinion the 170N is the best recent LED offering from HDS and it's no longer available so you did well to get your hands on one.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have made me think about modding my older 200lm tactical clicky, though...

Now that's a different story, I say go for it. You've got the 170N all set so why not experiment with the old one.
If its an XPG you can, as I'm sure you know, use by reflowing on the original PCB a Nichia 219 or XPL or simply upgrade to an XPG2 with a nicer tint. Myself, I'd go for a 219 (A,B or C) or an XPG2 in the 4500 to 5000K range or even try one of those warm (3000K) Hi CRI XPG2. You can even fit a standard MCPCB with a bit of adjustment if you choose not to use the original one.
I get my LEDs from Cutter, give them a look.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was looking at the HDS website and saw there is a way to upgrade the UI.
Is there a list of the progression of UI's?
I have a HCRI 120 clicky that is several years old and a 170 clicky that is about 2 years old and has the "candle" mode.
I just got a new Rotary in the last month.
Just wondering if upgrading the UI would be a good thing and what the latest clicky UI has that I don't?
I think the most substantial difference from your 120 Clicky is that "moonlight" was decreased from .07 lumen to .02 lumen, so the perceived brightness of the lowest level was effectively cut in half, which is a significant difference for anybody who uses moonlight mode frequently. I find that .07 is almost too bright in the dead of night, so I've considered the upgrade but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Besides, a bottle-cap diffuser does a good job cutting the output, and it's way cheaper.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt it's worth upgrading, unless you have a Clicky without candle mode and you really want it.
I believe the first version with candle mode lowered the lowest output a little. This version also added the ability to turn on and off the locator beacon with four clicks from off.
A version later, the pure tactical hex click mode was added (six clicks from off for pure momentary output). The four click locator beacon required activation through the setup menu before use in this version.
In all I think there have been three versions with candle mode that I can remember. The first was 5 clicks from off, then 7 and I think the latest version is 9 clicks from off.
I hope at some point we see the return of the 3 click lockout. I hate untwisting the battery tube before pocket carry.

I am with you on the Lockout option.
I have never used Candle mode except to see it for the first time but I really miss the Lockout and would be thrilled to be able to roll back to that firmware if all else would be OK.

Also I think the only HDS I have with the Candle is the one that I got from you?!:p

And I Love it too!

Last edited:

doctordun

Enlightened
I am looking for battery suggestions for the HDS 18650 tube.
The AW brand that Henry sent with my light are quite expensive and I am trying to find quality substitutes that fit the 18.5mm x 69mm protected requirement.
It seems that published dimensions on websites vary a lot for even the same battery and are not always accurate, as I have found out.
The good thing is that I have other lights that I can use the batteries that don't fit, but it's getting expensive to continue to experiment on finding a good battery that fits.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NCR18650B 3400 mAh Panasonics are always good. I use the unprotected ones, so never an issue with fitting the diameter. But they are available quite cheap, with or without protection, at Gearbest. I thought Henry left plenty of room for protected cells when he chose the diameter for those tubes. I don't worry running unprotected in a single cell application, especially with all of the logic built into these lights. Worst thing it can do is over discharge and damage my $4 cell. Now, I take responsibility for using a quality charger and monitoring it closely. A protection circuit (that works) can protect from a runaway charger.

indigon

Enlightened
Poor mans' clip and lanyard for a rotary:

HDS 170N Rotary Tactical pictured below with Convoy S2/S2+/M1/C8 Flashlight Mini Body Clip, <$5.
and a few 5/8" or 9/16" common sink o-rings from the local hardware store to keep the clip
and lanyard snug. (double constrictor knot.) Been EDC'ing this for a while front pocket, no issues.

BTW this one and my old 170N LE clicky are both 3 clicks from off for candle mode.
My newer 250 tactical rotary and new Hi-CRI 200 rotary are both 5 clicks from off for candle mode.
(The current Hi-CRI 200 rotary has a fantastic beam and color, exceeds expectations!).

I have an older 200 with the button lock feature but I never use it.
The last thing I want is to have to fumble around clicking the lock off when I need the light in a hurry..
The Auto-turn-off option is enough insurance for me.

JMHO - Opinions/Comments appreciated, thx - Ron

(edited to add a few images)

9V9P2I6.jpg

Below is my Hi-CRI 200 rotary, same setup..
Sqk3AIg.jpg

Here is the HiCRI in one of Daniel's holsters..
uxqGAgy.jpg

Final mod - 200 HiCRI rotary with raised button and Delrin Tailcap.. Great EDC light.
5fLPBfW.jpg

Last edited:

doctordun

Enlightened
I've been trying to find the levels for the factory defaults for the Turn on preset, double and triple click presets of the clicky's.
I am referring to the 1 through 24 possible settings.
I believe the turn on preset is either 4 or 5, but it seems to be different on different models with different emitters and whether it is le or executive.

Is there a list somewhere?

indigon

Enlightened
Have never seen one with factory preset on = low, usually do that myself.

Try this page 3 & 10: http://www.hdssystems.com/Products/Legacy/Clicky/Clicky2UsersGuide.pdf

Guessing you could hard reset and count the clicks down until it double-flashes..
Varies with the model, these are older legacy:

med-hi setting 19 = 35 lumens
med setting 16 = 13 lumens
low setting 5 = 0.3 lumens
High = High

Last edited:

_nw

Newly Enlightened
The Executive comes with these presets:

A= Level 24
B= Level 16
C= Level 20
D= Level 8

Which are different outputs depending on the model. For example a 200lm light is 200, 8.12, 40.3, and 0.33 lumens respectively. While a 250lm light is 250, 9.4, 48.5, and 0.35 lumens.

I'm not sure about the default levels for LE models but my guess based on the UI description from the User Guide would be:

A= Level 24
B= Level 24
C= Level 20
D= Strobe

Maybe someone else can be more helpful there ;)

Oh and the lights turn on to preset B. Double click for C, triple click for D, and click-press-hold for A.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would really be nice if Henry would start making that 18350 Rotary body. And another thing, would be great if he made a Rotary with the body similar to the Fury, using a 18650.

Good night,

Pops

_nw

Newly Enlightened
I didn't see it mentioned here (maybe i missed it?) but you can now order just a head on the HDS Custom page.

Priced from $191-$301.

kj2

Flashaholic
Didn't see that option. Thanks for the heads up :)
Now only if the international shipping cost would drop :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.