HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
16340 exclusively. I'm opposed to disposable batteries.
I agree, I do not like using primaries either. However I think I like my aw rcr123's better since they are higher capacity than my 16340's. I will have to see what is currently available, I need more anyway.

Same here.

I'm your third cousin from Kentucky that your family doesn't talk about.
That's funny

Do you guys use CR123 or 16340 cells in your lights?
As mentioned above, I either use rcr123 or 16340, no primaries. If you want to dish out a ton of money over the years that you will be using a 123 sized light, then go for it. I personally can't justify it. Plus if you are into helping the environment at all, the world does not need an excessive amount of dead batteries, haha.

I don't look at that aspect as our world is already too far messed up to save, but it's there for those that care.

Lithium466

Enlightened
What 18350's do you use? I have some aw's from a few years back, they are 700mah. Then I have some xtar's that are 850mah. I know the current ones are slightly higher in capacity.
Then I have aw 16340's that are 550mah, and aw rcr123 that are 750mah.
AW 800mAh. Don't be fooled by claimed capacity... 16340 are usually around 550-600mAh, I measured my AW 800mAh at 754mAh, that's 150-200mAh difference, and the more you use the higher levels, the bigger the difference. There are also others 18350 with higher capacity.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW 800mAh. Don't be fooled by claimed capacity... 16340 are usually around 550-600mAh, I measured my AW 800mAh at 754mAh, that's 150-200mAh difference, and the more you use the higher levels, the bigger the difference. There are also others 18350 with higher capacity.

Thanks. I am aware that capacity rating on the cell needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I typically use AW's anyway (have them from when I was trying to get into vaping) The rcr 123/16340 i got for my lights specifically. Can't recall why I got both. Granted my rcr123's are protected while the 16340's are unprotected.

I have been out of the loop on batteries since I bought my current ones. I thought maybe you were using something newer/better, but it seems that this size has not advanced too much.

Thanks again, looks like I can stick with aw's then.

EDIT: I need to get a better charger that can show me a cells capcity; any recommendations?
I was thinking about the xtar vc4 I believe but saw som rec's for a couple others that cost a bit more. I think one was an opus and the other was skyrc.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crazy, when you look at the specs on paper; they do not seem like there would be this noticeable of a difference. That or your pic is messing with my perception. Looking at this pic, I can see why many prefer the 123. Thanks for posting this
Here you go no trick photography or weird perspective.
9bd1d5d4a00f23577854f378e86f58ad.jpg

And one of these has a Sapphire Crystal,can you say which one?
2c126dac7f1cfb9163e95e2acbfd6bf4.jpg

I use Primaries because I work with these lights every day and all day long and I can not trust myself to have working light if left to have to charge batteries and track them all the time.
I do use Eneloops and Lithium rechargeable a lot but not as much as throw aways and if anyone does not approve of this that is too bad.

I tried a Hybrid Car too and it could not do the job I needed it too so it left as well.

Sometimes there is a clash between being practical and environmental conscience.

Last edited:

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
Plus if you are into helping the environment at all, the world does not need an excessive amount of dead batteries, haha.

I don't look at that aspect as our world is already too far messed up to save, but it's there for those that care.

i don't think people who use primaries are against helping the environment. Get some perspective.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the additional pics avservice.
I do not have any experience with the glass. I'm probably totally wrong but i want to say the 18650? Probably a trick and hard to tell unless you know what to look for.

As far as primaries go, everyone has there own opinions, use and needs. I'm not against them but i also do not use/ need them.

My light use is very limited atm, so i can use rechargeables and keep a spare set and be fine.

As far as the environmental comment, i was just throwing that out there, but you'd be surprised at how big a deal it is for many people. I also added a haha after which should have shown I wasn't being totally serious.

Not sure if I'm taking the "get some perspective" comment properly. I was also thinking taxman was looking for advice to help decide on what route he wanted to take. I guess i blew it all out of proportion

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Do you guys use CR123 or 16340 cells in your lights?
I think most of us are using rechargeables of one sort or another and I think you'll be happiest if you go ahead and get some decent cells and a charger. I use my 140 Clicky as a spare cell carrier which also doubles as a spare light.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Here you go no trick photography or weird perspective.
9bd1d5d4a00f23577854f378e86f58ad.jpg

As another CPF'r with all three sizes of HDS, I use the 18650 probably ~ 90% of the time.

For me, I find the HDS to be massive for a 16340-sized torch.

The larger 18650 version is more in line with a "typically" sized alternative, comfortable to use, and with a huge upgrade in capacity.

The 2xAA is useful to have emergency power options available, but simply looks a bit awkward to me. I also dislike multiple cell setups, for a variety of reasons ....

Pöbel

Enlightened
I exlusively use cr123 primaries in my HDS. It's my main EDC, still I only go through 3-6 cells a year as I mostly use 60 lumens and below. It lasts FOREVER. If I need more punch I have plenty 18650 lights which are exclusively ran by rechargables.

indigon

Enlightened
I always use a RCR123A as my first battery, and keep a CR123A Primary in the Thor's Hammer spare pouch holder for backup. (Great shelf life on the CR123A Primary, so far have not needed to use it). The RCR123A has a surprisingly long run-time if you use it mostly on the lower modes.

(EDC EXEC 140 Nichia 219A Clicky, great CRI light, one of my favorites)...
nz0duh.jpg

blueo8

Newly Enlightened
This is what I plan to do. I use rcr123 in my lights and keep a primary for backup. My holster should be here soon.😂
I think it is important to dispose of primaries properly. My.local libraries have primary battery recycling drop offs. I just fill a tub and take them in.It amazes me how many people will just toss them in the garbage.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
As usual Arch you speak truth!
6ebe82cd62bbb86343e507aef394fd81.jpg

Thats why I find the HDS just bigger for pocket carry than I like anyway so the step up in tube size should not be a huge(punny?)deal for me.

I think the 18650 will become my favorite too whether I keep the Tactical interface or not and I tried switching the tube to a regular Rotary and no joy there so the programming must be in both parts for the Tactical? Strange.

Also I just like the 2aa lights and always have maybe it is my inner Mag or something?
I don't know that I have ever really heard of any issues with multi AA lights either as long as they don't leak and are not Rechargeable Lithiums,have you?

As another CPF'r with all three sizes of HDS, I use the 18650 probably ~ 90% of the time.

For me, I find the HDS to be massive for a 16340-sized torch.

The larger 18650 version is more in line with a "typically" sized alternative, comfortable to use, and with a huge upgrade in capacity.

The 2xAA is useful to have emergency power options available, but simply looks a bit awkward to me. I also dislike multiple cell setups, for a variety of reasons ....

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS is indeed one of the larger CR123 lights you can buy, for a reason.

To use an analogy: It is easier and more comfortable to drive to your destination in a jeep than in a tank. But which one would you take if you expect you may be shot at along the way?

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS is indeed one of the larger CR123 lights you can buy, for a reason.

To use an analogy: It is easier and more comfortable to drive to your destination in a jeep than in a tank. But which one would you take if you expect you may be shot at along the way?

This, exactly. HDS lights are built with certain design goals and small size isn't one of them. Instead they're damn near bulletproof (just search the forum, I'm not kidding). That aside, I actually find the size really nice. Yes its a bit more noticeable clipped to my pocket, but its also just fits my hand right when I use it. I realize this will vary from person to person and maybe I have larger hands, but the HDS lights just feel right to hold and operate.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
This is so true. Back in the day the lens getting damaged was one of the biggest problems the light had. Look what Henry did to fix that issue 😊

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the additional pics avservice.
I do not have any experience with the glass. I'm probably totally wrong but i want to say the 18650? Probably a trick and hard to tell unless you know what to look for.

As far as primaries go, everyone has there own opinions, use and needs. I'm not against them but i also do not use/ need them.

My light use is very limited atm, so i can use rechargeables and keep a spare set and be fine.

As far as the environmental comment, i was just throwing that out there, but you'd be surprised at how big a deal it is for many people. I also added a haha after which should have shown I wasn't being totally serious.

Not sure if I'm taking the "get some perspective" comment properly. I was also thinking taxman was looking for advice to help decide on what route he wanted to take. I guess i blew it all out of proportion

Nothing wrong with all of us doing our part for mother earth. No worries. There is the long-term cost savings and the intangible benefits that others will reap by using 16340, etc. Good post INFRNL.

scout24

Flashaholic
The HDS exterior design has not changed in a good while. Compared to some of it's contemporaries (Surefire L1, E1B, Haiku, etc.) it's not large for it's power source. I'd rather have something it's size to hold onto while wearing gloves or when mud, water, blood, snow etc. are around, than some of today's smaller offerings. There are some stellar micro-123 lights out there but I find them difficult to turn on and off, or change levels if needed under the circumstances I mentioned. The size and heft are reassuring personally, as we know the abuse they can take.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS exterior design has not changed in a good while. Compared to some of it's contemporaries (Surefire L1, E1B, Haiku, etc.) it's not large for it's power source. I'd rather have something it's size to hold onto while wearing gloves or when mud, water, blood, snow etc. are around, than some of today's smaller offerings. There are some stellar micro-123 lights out there but I find them difficult to turn on and off, or change levels if needed under the circumstances I mentioned. The size and heft are reassuring personally, as we know the abuse they can take.

So true and with the 2aa tube how much they can dish out if needed too!
That one is reassuring to hold to me.
Thats why I call it the Club!

archimedes

Flashaholic
As usual Arch you speak truth! ....

I don't know that I have ever really heard of any issues with multi AA lights either as long as they don't leak and are not Rechargeable Lithiums, have you?

Multiple cells add multiple potential points of failure to the system ... :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.