HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that most, if not all, VN lights are modded for power, as in, "Look how bright this tiny light can be!" If that is why you purchased and used the VN light, you will be greatly disappointed in the HDS 200 lumen light, regardless of its color rendering capabilities. The magnetic control ring on the V11r is absolutely nothing like the rotary dial on the HDS; don't be disillusioned that they are alike. Also, don't buy into the "go ahead and spend the ~ $300 because if you don't like it, you can sell it for 'close' to what you paid for it" hyperbole that you're bound to hear here...why spend the money in the first place for a light that is nothing like the light you've been carrying for - as you put it - "the past few years" anyway, just to satisify an expensive itch?

Even the stock V11r and the HDS HCRI are unalike in more ways than they are alike.

If, however, you, after carrying the V11r for years, are now ready to go for a much dimmer but better coloring rendering flashlight that can withstand all of your extra cirruculal activities like caving, rock climbing and general close encounters with explosions, the HDS may be worth a try.

Besides, if you find the HDS isn't for you, you can always sell it here for close to what you paid for it. :)

Well, my V11R was modded for more power, but I had him put a Nichia 219 in it as well. I'm not looking for ulitmate power; in fact the reason I went for the V11R was sadly for the past few years I've been dating a truly lovely person who sadly has had some serious medical issues which means that I've spent a lot of time in hospitals. I got the V11R because I needed something that would allow me to read a book in a dark hospital room without being offensively bright, while also serving as a general all around EDC light. Most light uses really involve looking around under desks or behind racks of gear.

Things I like about the V11R: control ring means a nice simple interface that is quite intutive, plus I have easy access to any brightness between moonlight and full power

Things I didn't like about the V11R: no high CRI option without modding; pocket clip was worse than useless. If I get another I will definitely drill and tap the body for machine screws to positively retain the clip, I ended up having to use the holster to carry that light without losing it.

If you could elaborate on the differences between the Rotary and the control ring of the V11R, I woudl greatly appreciate it! I just assumed that they would operate similarly; I have no real problem with the V11R other than by the time mine died it'd gotten enough use that I probably would have had to put some grease in it to tighten it up some in the very near future.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This below says the HDS would probably work for you...

Well, my V11R was modded for more power, but I had him put a Nichia 219 in it as well. I'm not looking for ultimate power; in fact the reason I went for the V11R was sadly for the past few years I've been dating a truly lovely person who sadly has had some serious medical issues which means that I've spent a lot of time in hospitals. I got the V11R because I needed something that would allow me to read a book in a dark hospital room without being offensively bright, while also serving as a general all around EDC light. Most light uses really involve looking around under desks or behind racks of gear.

Things I like about the V11R: control ring means a nice simple interface that is quite intuitive, plus I have easy access to any brightness between moonlight and full power

The following says the HDS light probably wouldn't be the best light for you...

Things I didn't like about the V11R: ... pocket clip was worse than useless. If I get another I will definitely drill and tap the body for machine screws to positively retain the clip, I ended up having to use the holster to carry that light without losing it.

Despite its ballyhooed greatness, the single constant downside to the HDS rotary for many years has been the lack of a clip. You don't have to read very far back to find a few that write even now about how the clip for the rotary is pretty much a design failure. Talk about something being worse than useless. It's the elephant in the room with every discussion about the rotary and clip carry that no fan wants to talk about. Any denial of such is simply fandom at its best - and worst - example.

If you could elaborate on the differences between the Rotary and the control ring of the V11R, I would greatly appreciate it! I just assumed that they would operate similarly; ...

The rotary mechanism on one light is at the tail end of the light while the other is at the near front of the light. Their operations are drastically different, especially in the way each is held in order to make use of their individual turning designs. This is not to say that the usage of one cannot lead to the learning of how to use the other, but they are completely different. Not only in the placement of said mechanism, but also in the general usage of it as well; one is very easy to use while the other is somewhat stiff in its function. I spent months spinning the rotary dial on one HDS rotary with two hands while I would be sitting in front of the TV or at work or while riding in a vehicle just to try to get that thing to loosen up. It goes without saying that any honest-with-themselves HDS rotary owner will tell you not to let the light (the rotary itself) sit unused for awhile unless you really like a constantly stiff turning mechanism. It goes without saying that in colder weather, this twisting is more difficult.

If you modded the V11r to have a 219, then you will like the HDS color rending ability. If you don't need the brightness of more than 200 lumens (which, of course, is purely subjective, and you shouldn't let folks here tell you that you don't need anything more than 200 lumens just because they feel like they don't - and want to tell everyone about it), the HDS light may be worth a try. Nobody can make that final decision but you.

Good luck!

Last edited:

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I really need more than 200 lumens for an EDC, I have other lights that I can drag out if I feel I need more than that, they're just not pocketable.

The stiffness of the Rotary you mention might actually be a plus for me

I don't *need* HCRI but I appreciate it.

Maybe I should do what you all probably would recommend anyway which is go ahead and order another V11R to have it, drill and tap it so the pocket clip is actually useful, *and* get the Rotary as well to see if it blows me away enough that I choose to carry it over the V11R.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moving the rotation mechanism to the tail of the light makes a pretty big difference in how it feels to hold and use. Having both the button and the rotary dial in the same place makes it much easier to use the light one-handed. Granted you kinda have to do an "overhand" grip sorta thing to hold it and use it that way, but its the way lots of us hold tail-clicky lights anyway. Its really great. Something like the V11r is nice too, but since the button and ring are on opposite ends of the light, you've either gotta use both hands or re-adjust your grip to reach the other input mechanism. Its worth at least trying. You may love it like so many of us do.

I personally don't gloss over the clip issues though. Its really a downside to the light, and one that isn't easily solved. Its not like Henry has just ignored the issue or done nothing about it, he just doesn't want to compromise the functionality of the light in any way to address it. Some of us really don't like his universal clip. I don't. I chose instead to put a clip under the bezel on my light. It means I've gotta carry it bezel-up, which isn't ideal, but is acceptable to me.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Totally agree, would not buy any other than a 200 HCRI now.

But seriously, if you own one that you don't like, once you choose what tint you want to see (emphasis on "you choose"), it takes less time to change than it did to compose my last post.

I now consider tint to be adjustable, just like changing the brightness of preset B, albeit a little slower. No need to shelve a rockin' light because it is not yet set up how you like it.
I don't understand? Oh, I read later you use filters cutting down on output. Unsatisfactory for me. I go for 325 to get max output.

Clearly XPL 4K was best HDS ever but I could have never waited over a year. I would have asked for my money back.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it really worth the extra $$$? I'd want a pocket/belt clip as well so we're talking $35 vs. $300 for the HDC. But part of me says I'll be carrying it every day for hopefully years, so...
Whether or not it's "worth it" depends entirely on what you want out of a flashlight.

I carry an HDS because I love the interface, and it's built like a tank. I joke that when I drop it, I check the ground for damage. This isn't one of those lights where you hold your breath hoping it still works afterwards, and mine has taken some pretty hard shots. I have an older 120 lumen high CRI Rotary, and the beam is gorgeous. Henry's lights are individually calibrated after assembly and are guaranteed to be what they say on the tin, so if he says you're getting a 120 lumen emitter with a 90+ CRI then that's exactly what you're going to get (and, yes, I do find 120 lumen sufficiently bright for my purposes). No comment on the clip since I'm fine without one. I carry my Rotary in a Kydex holster on my belt, or in my pocket if I'm wearing sweatpants.

I think it's worth it, but as the saying goes, individual mileage may vary.

Last edited:

indigon

Enlightened
Added a little clip to the 170 OGD and took it out on a spin with me last night..
Perfect tint with the Lee Filter, plenty bright, great UI (has the old V2 I think).
Sweet beam.
The little o-rings actually make it a much more comfortable grip & keep the clip tight.
Must have a whole $10. invested in these little add-ons, makes it a great light.
This clip setup works well on a rotary or clicky.

Did I mention how much I like the tint now? :)

SMcZSDa.jpg

Last edited:

Lithium466

Enlightened
It's a legacy, not even a v1 UI, but still very enjoyable!

Does the cap on the head reduce the width of the beam?

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im not surprised, I love my Novatac 120P, the smaller size and ability to adjust the brightness by holding down the button is great! I don't feel like I'm holding an obsolete light, it's now part of my EDC rotation.

Kastro187

Newly Enlightened
Can the HDS executive be programmed to a tactical strobe?? or would I have to buy the LE and customize it to look like an executive, TIA

indigon

Enlightened

Lithium, I believe it is classed as an EDC Clicky V2

Yes, the rubber cap edge reduces the total width of the beam, (which I prefer),
but the filter makes the spill from the hotspot to the edge more gradual.
It would be easy enough to modify the rubber cap hole larger if you wanted to make the beam wider.

From the HDS site:
The big difference between the V1 and V2 models is in the handling of the brightness menu.
In V1, the menu scrolled while the button was held down. In V2, the menu worked as it had in the EDC Ultimate, which is the same as the option menu.

-Ron

Lithium466

Enlightened
Not if it has V-threads, or I don't understand correctly the HDS "classification". Yours seem to be a legacy clicky with V-threads, with an UI that is closer to v2 UI in "modern" clickies (before the 3 click lock was removed).
There was the "legacy" clicky with V-threads, then the new clicky with ACME threads, v1-2-3-4, with subsequent changes in UI.

These protection caps look nice, I think I'm going to try them :)

Edit: you are right, legacy also had v1 and v2, sorry I was wrong, and now I'll go to bed a little less ignorant!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Added a little clip to the 170 OGD and took it out on a spin with me last night..
Perfect tint with the Lee Filter, plenty bright, great UI (has the old V2 I think).
Sweet beam.
The little o-rings actually make it a much more comfortable grip & keep the clip tight.
Must have a whole $10. invested in these little add-ons, makes it a great light.
This clip setup works well on a rotary or clicky.

Did I mention how much I like the tint now? :)

SMcZSDa.jpg

As tough as hds lights are the addition of them boots would make it crazy bulletproof 😀

indigon

Enlightened
Indigon, do you happen to know the size of those O-rings?

These are 9/16" common sink washers, 5/8" also works well. Cheap at my local hardware store.
I like to get an assorted pack also and taper down toward the head with skinnier o-rings as the flare rises.

Last edited:

indigon

Enlightened
Can the HDS executive be programmed to a tactical strobe?? or would I have to buy the LE and customize it to look like an executive, TIA

I'm hoping by tactical strobe you mean a momentary on/off fast strobe, press on, release off.
If not you can make any setting a fast strobe.

Momentary option "on" will handle this.
If you turn your preset option "off" it will act like it has memory..
(Turns on to your last used setting, like a fast strobe, wherever you have it). Mines' at three clicks initially. Or you could make the strobe your first turn-on preset..

Or better yet get a tactical rotary, my favorite.. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.