HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for posting pics
I suggest you take pics of several different lights, each aimed at the same target, so we see the difference in throw. Do you own any Zebras?:)

Unfortunately no Zebras. Very difficult to get many things here in the U.K. But I haven't tried to get Zebras. Cost wise after HDS and Surefire I can't afford any others.

The Whispering Gallery

Newly Enlightened
My guess is No. According to the specs, the SC52 L2 is over 2x brighter on LiIon

My logic is that the smaller LED in the case of the 250 or 200, plus what appears to be a larger reflector would lead a more focused beam. I don't have any 14500s but that is an alternative.

HDS Rotary 250 is 59% heavier, 21% longer and costs over 5x more w pocket clip.

No logic to justify that, just intrigued by these lights :)

doctordun

Enlightened
If I based my decisions to buy my toys based on cost and specs, I would never have owned my lowly 4 HDS flashlights, that I dearly love. It's hard to be passionate for any of my other nameless lights. They are merely average tools that get the job done, but HDS gets the job done in style!

I have the usual suspects, Surefire and others, but they simply don't get used any more.
I must amend that comment. I do carry a Surefire Titan Plus on my keychain, simply because my HDS is too big. Damn!
I have a two HOGO holsters and a Kydex canted one on order, but on a quick trip to the store, I don't always belt up my HDS. They are more of my "out all day and night lights".

The same goes for my other passion which is firearms. Logic says I only need one and some would tell me that I don't need any. However, need never enters the equation.
I don't need HDS lights or need my many fine firearms, but I thoroughly enjoy them and I'm getting too old to deny myself my small pleasures.

ven

Flashaholic
My logic is that the smaller LED in the case of the 250 or 200, plus what appears to be a larger reflector would lead a more focused beam. I don't have any 14500s but that is an alternative.

No logic to justify that, just intrigued by these lights :)

I have the sC5c mk II which is apparently around 475lm(for 3m before stepping down), a HDS 200 hi cri . Must admit loving the ZL, quite yellow which takes a little getting used to. Colours look great and for an AA fed light, nice form for me being more like a 16340 body/head(all helps with heat dissipation and prefer that 16340 form in hand-subjective). HDS wise , well imo nothing short of one of the best lights on the planet. Tank like is an understatement , the 4000k 219b is warmer than my other 4000k lights and would put it nearer 3700-3800k if comparing(my eyes and not scientific). The 200lm could be 300 or even higher as its beam would certainly make you think brighter than its spec.

Beam type from the smooth reflector gives a more focused hot spot over the larger die ZL. Can't comment on other HDS flavours, but the 200 hi cri is what I call a tradition type beam. For its size it punches light down field enough for pretty much all my applications in mind.

Brightness wise on the rotary, very rare does it get past 2/3rds on the dial. In fact outdoors when 1st took camping, I tried it dialed up and soon dialed it back down for being too bright close up(dark field , uses within 20ft or so).

Try out. more than likely love at 1st light, if not indigon, ozy or Theo will buy it off you....;)...heck jon might buy his 1st HDS :poke: :laughing: j/k

Emspop

Newly Enlightened
It looks like I'm going to skip this high noon as to be honest I'm not hearing all the positive comments I expected as they were delivered. I suspect after so many have fallen for the 219b that the 219c just doesn't have the " depth" that the B's do. The beam shots I'm seeing seem to confirm it. appears just on the bad side of harsh to me. So off to Vinh shall my new 325 go. It will be sporting the the 219BT-v1 sw57 5700k that Jaxman put in the E2 that so many raved about. While I'm at it maybe I'll have him put my last 219Bt-v1 5000k in another...I really miss that light!

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like I'm going to skip this high noon as to be honest I'm not hearing all the positive comments I expected as they were delivered. I suspect after so many have fallen for the 219b that the 219c just doesn't have the " depth" that the B's do. The beam shots I'm seeing seem to confirm it. appears just on the bad side of harsh to me. So off to Vinh shall my new 325 go. It will be sporting the the 219BT-v1 sw57 5700k that Jaxman put in the E2 that so many raved about. While I'm at it maybe I'll have him put my last 219Bt-v1 5000k in another...I really miss that light!

How hard is it to get a mod done and how much?

ironhorse

Enlightened

I have been too busy shining mine on stuff to post. I was on the fence for a long time before jumping in on this. The High Noon is the first Hi-CRI light that I can actually see a difference from all of my other lights. If I had the extra funds, I would get another.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I've using the High Noon daily for almost two weeks now. (I don't own another HDS so cannot make any direct comparison so won't even go there...) My uses run something like this...90% to illuminate objects/projects I'm working on (bike, car, plumbing, electrical, etc.) Most of this is done during the day or at night with regular room or garage lights on. The other 5% is either walking the dog at night or spotting him in the back yard when it's "come in the house " time. The other 5% is "still-dark-wake-up-do-not-disturb-wife". The more I use it for these things, the more I appreciate it's pure "whiteness". At the levels I normally use (~18 or less) the color rendering is exceptional and at full brightness, it easily lights up the dog 120 feet across the yard. Is it "better" than another HDS flavor? Don't know...don't care. For me, I couldn't ask for more. Do I want another HDS flavor?Yes, definitely!
BTW, I obtained the infamous and sometimes maligned Universal Clip from a member here. I installed it on the bezel end, insuring the clip end does not contact the rotary control. I suppose it's "ugly" and all that but find it useful. Great anti-roll, great hat clip and really great belt clip. As a shirt pocket clip, not so good. It also offers a bit more security when clipped to my Hogo holster. It's not all bad!

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the sC5c mk II..., a HDS 200 hi cri .
great!
post beam shots that answer the question: (if you dare)
...SC52...I imagine that any HDS would have quite a bit more reach than that, right?
People buy HDS because they want to, not because it throws farther. Your question is not relevant (to them).

HDS Rotary is unique, nobody else offers it.
Buy whatever makes you happy. :)

elzilcho

Enlightened
I don't know which "people" you are referring to, but I bought an HDS because it throws reasonably well for a single-cell light. Many of the pocket-sized lights seem geared toward close-up work with floody beams. That doesn't meet my EDC needs. The HDS beam profile, on the other hand, doesn't lean so far toward the floody side of the spectrum and provides a better mix of throw with usable spill.

Using the SC32's beam profile as a reference, I can definitely say that an HDS at a similar lumen output will throw farther than that particular ZL model. The ZL's beam favors flood and sacrifices throw as a result.

ven

Flashaholic
great!
post beam shots that answer the question: (if you dare)

When I get time(and back home) I will do my best jon. Will be a week or so, pics won't be the best though. Will try your folded paper method as well:)

Have to bare in mind that the only thing in common is "hi cri". Both different enough lights to own for their own strengths/designs .

Emspop

Newly Enlightened
How hard is it to get a mod done and how much?

i think I paid Vinh 50-60 bucks when he did my last 5000k HDS. I've had him do 3 and the one I just lost was so freaking beautiful he call it a FiatLux. I still want to cry about losing that light.

doctordun

Enlightened

There were only 24 made, so I don't know how many rave reviews you are looking for. My Hight Noon is my 4th HDS and I rate it above my other three by a great margin. I find myself daily just shining it on things, just because I can't get over how wonderful the CRI is and I love the "absolute" lack of tint. My others range from off white to a yellow cast. Noon day sun is my preference, but everyone has their own taste when it comes this.
HDS makes as close to a perfect instrument as I believe is possible and has almost a cult like following, which I find myself to be a member of. It is a tool I am proud to own.
I am not aware of any other light out there that has this kind of devoted fans. But of course, I am sure I will be corrected.

Emspop

Newly Enlightened
There were only 24 made, so I don't know how many rave reviews you are looking for. My Hight Noon is my 4th HDS and I rate it above my other three by a great margin. I find myself daily just shining it on things, just because I can't get over how wonderful the CRI is and I love the "absolute" lack of tint. My others range from off white to a yellow cast. Noon day sun is my preference, but everyone has their own taste when it comes this.
HDS makes as close to a perfect instrument as I believe is possible and has almost a cult like following, which I find myself to be a member of. It is a tool I am proud to own.
I am not aware of any other light out there that has this kind of devoted fans. But of course, I am sure I will be corrected.

Hey I'm not dogging it. I remember a few years ago the 4000k XP-L group buy was very well recieved ( the first one anyway the second took almost a year to get if I remember correctly.) the 325 I'm about to have modded is my 6th HDS I sold one ( so regretting it now) lost one and still have a de-anodized 250, a 140lm 219a, a 170lm 219b 4500k and a 200 lm 219b 4500k. HDS are the only lights I use. My point was only that compared to a few other ( even the 3:00 high) special runs and group buys I been around 4 ( I was gone for a while so this is a different account)I just wasn't hearing the excitement I expected and believe I've even read a couple saying they prefer the 3:00 high.
So with that in mind I'll try something different. Sorry if my post somehow came across as negative.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The High Noon certainly isn't for everyone. People have tints they like, and tints they don't like... and there are many, many folks who use lights who have never considered the tint, and think we, the flashaholic few, are crazy to even consider it with the purchase of a light.

The same goes for my other passion which is firearms. Logic says I only need one and some would tell me that I don't need any.

Deep concealed carry sidearm, every day concealed carry sidearm, duty sized sidearm, light full-sized in BOB, hunting sidearm, small rim fire rifle, large bore rifle, CQB carbine, and at least 1 shotgun. So 10. Logic says you must have at least 10 at a minimum.

Flashlights: At a minimum, 3 months salary if you really love them!

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the record it s a catch 22. Henry puts out some good lights. If you want to mod it then just don't buy. Why do you buy? Maybe Henry should just sell a shell? Nope!
Folks, look at Chinese production vs USA ... if you want cheap you'll get it but if you have a Problem don't think you ll fix it. ... Henry is in Arizona and always available to answer questions.. he takes time for his customers which is very rare now days..

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the record i was and still am a Surefire man when it permits but the HDS 250 Tactical from Henry has taken over

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an HDS because it throws reasonably well
glad you found your happy place

my point was that an SC32 will throw farther because it is Capable of 480 lumens, while the HDS is limited to 250 lumens.. but, I respect your preference

maybe post a couple photos of the throw of the HDS on Max and the SC32 on Max..

Status
Not open for further replies.