HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
It isn't based on runtime. It is based on 1 amp (though this varies from light to light), not overdriving the LED, and heat. If output was based on runtime, we would have various lumen output levels, and the same exact run time on each light.

Let's use a 200 lumen HiCRI for example. The 219c 5700 is very efficient. At 200 lumens, you might be pulling only .8 amps. A 219b 4000 might be pulling the full amp as it isn't as efficient. There can big large swings in efficiency in the same bin of emitters as well. This is what is affecting run time. We base everything from a set lumen output, and use 1 amp as a base. We won't go over 1 amp draw.

You do have various output levels. 200, 300, 325...Anywho, since so many dreams were coming true, thought I'd throw more lumens out again.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You do have various output levels. 200, 300, 325...Anywho, since so many dreams were coming true, thought I'd throw more lumens out again.

Yes, but each output level is based upon the emitter. As an example, none of the HiCRI lights can push more than 200 lumens under the HDS constraints. It's an emitter issue.

I do bring it up to Henry quite a lot. He just says "when they make an emitter that will do it, I'll put it in."

Also, if an emitter comes out that could do say 400 lumens, it isn't a big enough jump from 325 for Henry to bother with. It has to be at least 1 visual step brighter.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is yours doing?
I noticed a buzz,whine...some kind of noise using candle mode on my 2700.
Will have to get em all programmed and tested for any weird behavior

It seems like a battery warning, it shuts off, then flashes. It has only done it twice (two different batteries) so I need to keep an eye on it if it does it again.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I have three HDS lights, including one on the way, I think it may be time to arrange for a Deep Darkness cave exploration in Indiana Caverns - at indianacaverns.

Last edited:

toads

Newly Enlightened
Why is the titanium rotary twice as expensive as the alu bronze and brass versions? Is there something about the titanium that makes it that much more difficult to machine? Something in the finishing process? Where does the huge price increase come from?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like a battery warning, it shuts off, then flashes. It has only done it twice (two different batteries) so I need to keep an eye on it if it does it again.

Do a factory reset. If that doesn't fix it, contact Henry and send it in. No reason to put up with a wonky light. We do everything we can, but that doesn't mean crap doesn't happen.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is the titanium rotary twice as expensive as the alu bronze and brass versions? Is there something about the titanium that makes it that much more difficult to machine? Something in the finishing process? Where does the huge price increase come from?

Just curious.

Thanks.

All of the above. Material cost and machining cost. From what I understand, they are not fun to machine and there is a higher fail out rate on the titanium parts. Oh, and time to machine is much longer from what the machinist told me.

Last edited:

calypso699

Newly Enlightened
All of the above. Material cost and machining cost. From what I understand, they are not fun to machine and there is a higher fail out rate on the titanium parts. Oh, and time to machine is much longer from what the machinist told me.

For what it's worth Hogo I've heard some terrible things about machining aluminum bronze. I know of one flashlight maker who said he won't be making anymore in that material.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't say that! Let the aluminum bronze light go forward with no increase in price.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth Hogo I've heard some terrible things about machining aluminum bronze. I know of one flashlight maker who said he won't be making anymore in that material.

All I know about machining is what my machinist tells me, so I don't know. I think he was still pretty happy about the titanium order and brass order that he just gave me a decent price on the aluminum bronze... he might be cursing me later!

moltenmag

Enlightened
500 out of a single CR123... someone's trying to keep up with surefire! haha jk. HDS is in a totally different league...

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other day I dropped my rotary on the living room floor. Since then, the rotary mechanism has been making a sound during counter-clockwise rotation. It's not loud but it's kinda like a squeaky hinge. The function of the light has not been affected so I don't really care that much. I'm just wondering if this is typical?

My father received his 3 o'clock rotary today and the rotation is silent as light in both directions. That emitter is a winner, too. I hope I don't regret choosing the F89HG over the 3 o'clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.