HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it is true that transparency breeds trust, I believe that Henry has already bred that trust many times over in many different ways.

HDS Systems is free to disclose that which they wish to disclose, and to not discuss that which they don't wish to discuss. To start making claims of cover-ups and secrets is rather "silly".

If all such talk in in jest, please disregard this message :rolleyes:

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
There has been some discussion of different alloys among a number of threads here (not HDS, but other brands)

Sounds like HDS consider this proprietary information ... :shrug:

Secrets don't make friends...

.... Secrets also imply something is being hidden.

Seriously ?

I don't really care what it's made out of, you can shoot it, drop it, run over it, and it still works. Contact any manufacturer and try to get information about specifications of materials used to make a product, and see how far you get.

Yep.

While it is true that transparency breeds trust, I believe that Henry has already bred that trust many times over in many different ways.

HDS Systems is free to disclose that which they wish to disclose, and to not discuss that which they don't wish to discuss. To start making claims of cover-ups and secrets is rather "silly".

If all such talk in in jest, please disregard this message :rolleyes:

Agreed.

Hogo posts updates and info here on CPF nearly daily, yes ?

Henry occasionally drops in with an incredibly detailed and informative post, too.

Other than curiosity, what is your specific need to know this particular information, if HDS don't care to share this in an open public forum ?

indigon

Enlightened
One feature I'd like to see someday is a battery level indicator in the firmware.
Something like the Boss 70 has, PIN 111; 3 slow clicks from off-hold blinks; 3.7v = ...-........
Would be a wonderful feature IMHO.
Don't know how many times I've popped a batt. in the charger. only to find it near full..

The setup below is working out the best for me for rotary in-pocket carry..
The bulbous bow is a Novatac rubber head cap slipped over a tail cap.
You always know which is the business end and gives major additional crash protection.
Very comfortable to hold.

HDS purists won't like it.
But anyone who says they haven't poked the lens at one time or other to turn on a bare bones HDS is lying..
Has a Streamlight 1/L-2/L clip and simple constrictor knot lanyard.

Ohhh the adventures this puppy has been on.. If lights could talk.

-Ron

3xCRrQo.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
But in all seriousness look at all the delays. Look at us hearing this new light will be out next month and 6 months down the road it finally happens. Think Henry does this on purpose? HELL no it's because there not ready there not good enough and he will wait and design until it is. THAT should tell you all you need to know about the quality and robust of his lights. Trust the man this is what he does. Don't worry about what it's made from.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
One feature I'd like to see someday is a battery level indicator in the firmware.
Something like the Boss 70 has, PIN 111; 3 slow clicks from off-hold blinks; 3.7v = ...-........
Would be a wonderful feature IMHO.
Don't know how many times I've popped a batt. in the charger. only to find it near full..

The setup below is working out the best for me for rotary in-pocket carry..
The bulbous bow is a Novatac rubber head cap slipped over a tail cap.
You always know which is the business end and gives major additional crash protection.
Very comfortable to hold.

HDS purists won't like it.
But anyone who says they haven't poked the lens at one time or other to turn on a bare bones HDS is lying..
Has a Streamlight 1/L-2/L clip and simple constrictor knot lanyard.

Ohhh the adventures this puppy has been on.. If lights could talk.

-Ron

3xCRrQo.jpg

Where do you find the end protection you have on that?

nbp

Flashaholic
My HDS feels naked without a clip. Plus it always lies horizontal in my pocket... and I wear skinny (ish) fitted jeans. Does anyone else have this problem? I can't be alone here...

This is why I struggle to understand anyone not using a clip unless they use a holster. In a front pocket it turns sideways and is uncomfortable and looks funny. In a cargo pocket it swings and klonks into my leg with each stride. I like the size of the HDS but it is far too large and heavy to be free ballin' around in a pocket. I agree with you completely and I don't even wear skinny jeans LOL.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously ?

Yep.

Agreed.

Hogo posts updates and info here on CPF nearly daily, yes ?

Henry occasionally drops in with an incredibly detailed and informative post, too.

Other than curiosity, what is your specific need to know this particular information, if HDS don't care to share this in an open public forum ?

I am a tradesman and the design, engineering, and material choices interest me(for many products, not just flashlights).

Plus, when spending the most money I have ever spent on a flashlight in my life, I like to know as much about the product as I can so, I can decide if the material choices, design, engineering, and features offered are worth that price to me. I also like to evaluate how these things compare to other brands and models.

Anyway, it is not the end of the world if HDS wont reveal the material but, I will say that choice turns me off of them a little.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I am a tradesman and the design, engineering, and material choices interest me(for many products, not just flashlights).

Plus, when spending the most money I have ever spent on a flashlight in my life, I like to know as much about the product as I can so, I can decide if the material choices, design, engineering, and features offered are worth that price to me. I also like to evaluate how these things compare to other brands and models.

Anyway, it is not the end of the world if HDS wont reveal the material but, I will say that choice turns me off of them a little.

Yes, nothing wrong with curiosity, and wanting information.

But in a world filled with clones, copies, knock-offs, and the like ... it is also not particularly difficult to understand why manufacturers might be reluctant to publish certain details of their products.

I think most try to strike a balance in their marketing, but of course that may be less (or more) than any individual may wish to know.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Anyway, it is not the end of the world if HDS wont reveal the material but, I will say that choice turns me off a little.

I understand completely where your coming from I work in a field that I like to know more information then I need. I just like to know things I guess. But let me ask you one question IF Henry chimed in and said he was using a type of aluminum that you felt was the Worst meteral he could possibly use would it detour you from getting his light? With hundreds and hundreds of post from hundreds of users that can testify to the strength of his lights?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why I struggle to understand anyone not using a clip unless they use a holster. In a front pocket it turns sideways and is uncomfortable and looks funny. In a cargo pocket it swings and klonks into my leg with each stride. I like the size of the HDS but it is far too large and heavy to be free ballin' around in a pocket. I agree with you completely and I don't even wear skinny jeans LOL.

I totally agree. Unless I am going to use a holster(I stopped doing this years ago as they constantly dig into you when you sit down and you always have to adjust and fiddle with them) then I need a clip to secure my knives and lights.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS isn't trying to make friends, he's trying to run a business, and hiding certain information from competitors is sometimes necessary.

He is trying to win customers over though if he is a smart business owner. I can totally understand that in some cases but, there is nothing that needs to be hidden in this case. It is not like it is some proprietary alloy that Henry designed that is waiting on a patent. It is likely just an average commonly used alloy(likely 6061 T6 if I had to guess).

moltenmag

Enlightened

Sharing is caring...

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, nothing wrong with curiosity, and wanting information.

But in a world filled with clones, copies, knock-offs, and the like ... it is also not particularly difficult to understand why manufacturers might be reluctant to publish certain details of their products.

I think most try to strike a balance in their marketing, but of course that may be less (or more) than any individual may wish to know.

See post #94. We are not talking about blueprints or some proprietary design here, just a run of the mill alloy choice.

scout24

Flashaholic
And rather than pick up the phone and ask the gentleman who builds them directly, you come here and imply something's being hidden? And you're put off by this? I'm sorry but really now...

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
This is why I struggle to understand anyone not using a clip unless they use a holster. In a front pocket it turns sideways and is uncomfortable and looks funny. In a cargo pocket it swings and klonks into my leg with each stride. I like the size of the HDS but it is far too large and heavy to be free ballin' around in a pocket.
This is all part of why I swore I would never buy one of these clunky looking lights. I even told that to Henry again last week. Everyone wears their pants a bit different, but with my Carhartts the light always stays vertical at the back edge of my front pocket where I can just pull it up and out.

Not sure if Henry is doing the same thing or if he lets it lay in the bottom of his pocket, but there's no clip on his light either and I have no plans of ever going back to using a clip. On the other hand, multiple solutions for a mutiplicity of users.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
And rather than pick up the phone and ask the gentleman who builds them directly, you come here and imply something's being hidden? And you're put off by this? I'm sorry but really now...

The HDS thread is certainly moving along these days.
There's plenty of things I'd like to comment on but I'll choose one and comment on the material choice thing.
First of all, I believe that whatever material (type of aluminium) Henry chose that he did so out of consideration and for good reason. And that main consideration being function and durability, not cost.
Everyone knows here what the HDS philosophy and goal is and it's not to **** around.
If I was told he uses 6061 and not 7075 for example I wouldn't feel let down. Both have pros and cons but I'd possibly even prefer 6061 and he may even use that, I base this on a post by I can't remember who but the light had lived in a caustic solution for some time and survived all but looking a bit melted. 7075 may well have dissolved.
Anyway, whatever is used, I'm sure it was chosen wisely and clearly works well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.