HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely late to the party, but I wanted to record my first impressions of my high noon rotary. First, the device more closely resembles hardware than electronics. Second, the high CRI 5700K beam is a gem. The 200lm maximum appears slightly brighter than 300 neutral lumens (4000K) from another high end, deeply respected manufacturer. It really does look like midday sunlight. The rotary mechanism is smooth, whereas I had expected something like "notches" in between modes. Mine is well balanced in tail standing.

I disabled burst mode. I figure it's a rotary. If I want to dial down the output, I'll just twist it down. While I'm conscious of battery life, I stock CR123's and am not overly concerned about run time.

Overall, the HDS rotary high noon lives at the intersection of art and mechanical perfection.

I am an admirer.
Told you last year that these lights can keep up with higher output lights( and replace several lights with a single light). I'm glad that you finally picked up a rotary and you are enjoying it. It was money well spent IMO.
I tried an sm273 (2700K) in a HDS a while ago, it was nice but I did find it a bit novelty like so I remodded that light to the King of tint and CRI the 219B sw45k R9080 and didn't look back.
My most recent HDS mod is the sm353 (3500K) which has really grown on me.
I also have an unmodded direct from Hogo high noon and while it is nice it just doesn't grab me. I find that the CRI of the others against the sw45k is really lacking as its that good.
The tint of the sm573 high noon is ok, a bit blue at times but very nice for a higher Kelvin. Does it look like midday sun? Well not really to me. Is the CRI good, yes it's ok like many of the R9050 LEDs.
For that super high CRI colour that renders like nothing else it has to be R9080.
Don't get me wrong, the high noon was a good run but mine is a hair away from being modded to another sw45k as it's whites and colours can't be beat.
I'm going to have to break down one of these days. I just need to find a good patient....sadly I had a few perfect candidates that I sold off. Will just have to keep an eye out in the market I suppose. I definitely won't want to use one of the limited run lights from the current group buy...or my current 219b/3 o'clock

I'm also contemplating getting my 1st clicky with this group buy but I am not sure I can justify it over the rotaries. My use is just general so I do not need the extra robustness from the clicky tailcap. I like having the rotary function as well as the clicky function that is provided with the rotaries. If a rotary ever fails, I will have others to use while one gets sent in, but I do not forsee this happening with my limited need for a light.

d13avo

Enlightened
Catastrophic failure, where the Rotary ceases to work at all (no light coming out of the end), I have not seen. I know of only one failure caused by damaged, which simply stoped the rotary function from working (which essentially turned the Rotary into a Clicky) happened on one that fell from a motorcycle on the freeway.

However, even this being the case, the Clicky has less moving parts, fewer contacts, and fewer electronic components in the tail. The Rotary mechanism has been upgraded a few times (and will continue to be upgraded as Henry thinks of improvements to it).

Henry himself considers the Clicky more indestructible than the Rotary (he and I have had conversations about this).

All this being said, I'm a huge Rotary fan. At the same time, I keep a Clicky in my emergency bag. I carry a folding knife daily, but have a fixed blade in the bag... both the same high end brand. I kind of consider this the same thing.

If the zombie apocalypse was starting, and I had to pick just one... (it would bother me more that I had to pick just one than the fact that people were turning into and getting eaten by zombies) but in that case, after a lot of snot and tears, I would grab the Clicky.

Agree totally just never heard of one actually failing. I do have one clicky, a 140 but now thinking of getting a 200 HiCri one [emoji23]

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for the info on the clips. I was just hoping the HDS Universal snapped on and off. I've got an OR and an HDS regular clicky clips which are going to be either on or off.
Guess I might have to get another HDS Clicky which can have a permanent clip and not be as fondle friendly.
P

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for some advice for a first world problem. I've recently acquired my first HDS, so obviously it needs a sibling. As an only child, I'm afraid it will get spoiled. Mine is a rotary, which has the UI that I prefer. However, I've read here that the clicky is considered to be more rugged. I normally don't like to change modes by clicking, but the HDS clicky seems so extensively programmable that I might be able to make it work for me. So here's my question: To you guys who use the clicky, how do you have yours programmed? How many modes, how many clicks, etc.

Thanks!

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for some advice for a first world problem. I've recently acquired my first HDS, so obviously it needs a sibling. As an only child, I'm afraid it will get spoiled. Mine is a rotary, which has the UI that I prefer. However, I've read here that the clicky is considered to be more rugged. I normally don't like to change modes by clicking, but the HDS clicky seems so extensively programmable that I might be able to make it work for me. So here's my question: To you guys who use the clicky, how do you have yours programmed? How many modes, how many clicks, etc.

Thanks!
I have both Rotary and Clicky. My Clicky is programmed as follows. Medium (on the low side of medium), Moonlight, Medium High and always full blast from a press and hold. Also the is a 140L XPG2 370K HiCRI, YMMV.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks!
I have my 120 clicky programmed as
- turn on: medium
- press+hold: high
- double click: low
- triple click: moonlight

I really don't see the durability argument though. I've never heard of a rotary completely failing due to durability under any circumstances.

moltenmag

Enlightened

Thanks!

I like my Clickies simple. I have my 120 Clicky programmed to Max on Levels 1, 2, and 4. Triple Click for the lowest moonlight for bathroom runs in the middle of the night. If I do need to conserve power I just reprogram one of the lower settings on the fly.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
My high cri clicky is programmed moonlight, 40 lumens, 100 lumens, and 200 lumens(high). This is mostly because I wake up with this light and have to get around the house without waking up others.

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do enjoy how easy it is to reprogram a clicky on the fly. Frequently I'll change one of my presets on the fly if the one in feels too dim or bright. Almost like a rotary that's a bit harder to get to

moltenmag

Enlightened
I put a feeler thread here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?446889-Brass-HDS-Rotary&p=5207484#post5207484
for a brass HDS run.

My evil plan, if it works out, is to have a titanium, natural HA, and perhaps brass run all done at the same time. It would be bare brass, so would tarnish just like... well, brass.

Anyway, just a heads up that it is there.

Sounds awesome. How much are we talking for all three (titanium, HA, and brass? $2000? Just want to plan ahead...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds awesome. How much are we talking for all three (titanium, HA, and brass? $2000? Just want to plan ahead...

Hoping for it to be a bit less than that, but won't know for sure for at least a week to two weeks (my two weeks, not Henry's).

Again, just checking for interest.

This would be a heavy beast as the walls wouldn't be made thinner or changed in any way, and obviously brass is more susceptible to "dings" and scratches. Still, I think it would be a pretty cool light... even if it did pull ones pants down from the weight.

Last edited:

Not-Required

Newly Enlightened
LOL! No problem.
Got them in today! Thanks!
254e90dccee9bf2b5a4c2e566f883fa9.jpg
b66760d18e4b3b48d6d81064293c6a55.jpg
41de0c42a001c10d3816371e68923c97.jpg

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a feeler thread for a brass HDS run.

It may be premature for the Carbon Fiber industry but how about a fully Carbon Fiber HDS clicky mostly for the weight reduction. I have several bicycles made out of Carbon Fiber and they have been very durable and light in weight. For the threaded parts I imagine one would have to mold or glue aluminum threads into the carbon fiber tubes/pieces. The target would be a 50% weight reduction from the current flashlight weight.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see where you are coming from, but for me the whole thing about an HDS is the weight. They feel so solid compared with the other lights of a similar size.
I expect it's just me though.
P

moltenmag

Enlightened
I can see where you are coming from, but for me the whole thing about an HDS is the weight. They feel so solid compared with the other lights of a similar size.
I expect it's just me though.
P

Agree here. It's a totally cool thought, but I don't want my HDS so light it floats out of my pocket when I go to grab it! The heavier. The better. Yes... I'm talking to you Mr. Brass HDS...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree here. It's a totally cool thought, but I don't want my HDS so light it floats out of my pocket when I go to grab it! The heavier. The better. Yes... I'm talking to you Mr. Brass HDS...

We could go with lead... I have quite a bit of that around here for casting boolits, but if we could just get our hands on enough ununseptium...

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I agree that some heft does lend a bit of solidity to these lights, even if its just in our heads, I also see a point of diminishing returns..somewhere. I'm honestly a bit concerned that the brass would be off-putting to me for every day carry as I find the chunky aluminum lights just about perfect in that respect. I still want one though. I love the look of brass, and the thought of a well-worn and patina'ed up brass Rotary really gets me going (ifyouknowwhatimean...). I know I'd use it enough to justify buying (as if I really needed a reason) so I hope it happens, but I'd be at least curious about seeing a carbon fiber HDS too. Sounds good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.