HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's got to be Mokume-gane or nothing for me!

Someone on another forum already brought up Timascus as a possibility (also in a somewhat-joking manner, to be sure). I think those exotic metals are really really unlikely, but given enough time, and enough willingness on HDSs part to entertain our ideas, who knows what we might actually see. I had about given up on Ti, but here we are.

...and I thought collecting the cerakote colors was getting expensive. Sheesh!! :broke: :D

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had never considered an HDS to be a 'luxury' torch, but more like the Range Rover of flashlights....

But then again, a Range Rover is a luxury vehicle....

I don't think Henry considers his product a luxury item either. He makes tools and is quite happy doing it. I just think there's some of us crazy enough, who love Henry's tool enough, to want an upscale version of it. Kinda like buying the Lexus instead of the Camry.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I totally understand why everyone has different opinions of what is the ideal material to make a light out of, as well as the different reasons for what material is preferred.

Some want exclusivity, perhaps the feeling that the Titanium light with sapphire lens is made from the most durable and space age materials around. Nothing but the best. Also for the crowd that loves a shiny light that will never dull or oxidize. Maybe you're just tired of black lights or want a light without an anodized layer to wear out. Maybe you don't want black anodize, but copper based lights are too heavy for your taste.

Some want the looks of nicely polished naval brass. Some want the looks of a well used light with a strong patina. Some want that feeling of quality and heft only copper/brass/bronze/aluminum bronze will offer. Some may view those metals as the best choice for the superior electrical and thermal conductivity as well as increased thermal mass that copper and copper based alloys enjoy. Maybe it's the ridiculous smoothness of the threads on copper or copper alloy lights.

And while Henry's view may be that he makes tools, and as a tool, the aluminum light is basically perfect, and it is, the options to have some variety in material choices elevates the HDS from a tool to functional art in my eyes.

Yes, stocking multiple emitters and multiple material choices would be very complicated compared to just one material, but it makes the custom lights much more customizable and broadens the appeal of the lights to a larger audience in my opinion.

A proper pocket clip for the rotary would be a godsend and literally- LITERALLY turn the light up to 11.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the subject of the awesome Titanium I am getting, I must be the only one going with the High Noon. I have the one from the group buy and love it. When viewing the posted beam shots of the super high CRI, I was not moved enough to get the extra one or two points higher in CRI. I was afraid I would not like like the tint as much as the High Noon and when spending this much, I wanted to be sure that I would love everything about my purchase.

🤓I m taking the fifth on this one!!!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Kaichu Dento and Archimedes, you are both great guys and I have a lot of respect for your opinions, and so yes, I will end up discussing the option with the machinist. It just would have been easier if it had been brought up back in May.
I've posted my preference for some years now but rather than try to change the brass interest thread had just decided to go with the flow of it. When I did go ahead and post yesterday it was outside the reference frame of a planned run and thought it was okay to bring it up here in the general interest thread. No intention at all of derailing or making your HDS world more complicated, and if you do at some point decide to do a bronze run, I'm already in. Oh, and thanks for all you do for us. :thumbsup:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
On the subject of brass/bronze...it's heavy. My keychain light is a Surefire Titan Plus and although I like it a lot, it would be a beast if it were any larger.

On the subject of the awesome Titanium I am getting, I must be the only one going with the High Noon. I have the one from the group buy and love it. When viewing the posted beam shots of the super high CRI, I was not moved enough to get the extra one or two points higher in CRI. I was afraid I would not like like the tint as much as the High Noon and when spending this much, I wanted to be sure that I would love everything about my purchase.

I think the High Noon in the Ti is an excellent choice. I have both the sw45k and 57k in an HDS. For me, the High Noon wins for it's tint (or should I say lack of it) and the sw45 wins for it's bump in CRI. I had every intention of choosing the High Noon when I was checking out at 12 O'clock Friday but at the last second I went for the sw45. Don't ask why, the answer is long winded and delves into my inner psyche way further than I want to go. [emoji16] Actually, I think I simply drank the Kool-aid...not that I regret it, not one bit....still, the High Noon in the Ti HDS...white on white...silver on silver...

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I don't even get this debate over material...
No need for it really but someone else started talking about brass yesterday and since this is not a single issue thread I brought up the superiority of the bronze version of copper based alloys over brass. Show a lot of people a selection of brass and bronze items on a table and a greater majority will call them all brass, and since bronze offers other desirable qualities there's no reason not to go that route instead.

If it were up to me I'd be pushing for C145 Tellurium-Copper, so let's just put that on list Hogo (kidding!). But I also love brass - shiny, golden and classic. Al-Bronze is neat because of its silvery hues, and I love mn-bronze because of how freakin' dark it patinas. Again, they're all great choices in my opinion. Maybe, eventually, over time, we can do a run in all of the above. But let's focus people! One thing at a time! :D
One thing at a time is what single issue threads are for and your introduction of other materials here definitely sounds good to me! Maybe someday there could be a bronze run made of re-purposed Zildjian cymbals... :wave:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Ultimately, CPF is a discussion forum. As long as that is done in reasonably respectful fashion, we should all feel welcome to share our opinions here.

Let's instead celebrate and enjoy what has been the release of probably the most exciting new luxury torch over the past several years.
Yeah, we can absolutely celebrate that during the long wait for them start showing up in mailboxes! lovecpf

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Re switch feel : how does the switch "feel" in the recent rotary? Did the internal modifications impact the switch feel? I have an older Clicky where the switch feels a bit mushy (even with the plastic disc inside), and more recent lights where the switch is perfectly "crispy", direct activation and no hesitation. What is the current switch tactile response?

The first thing I noticed when I got my 35k 219c raised-tail Rotary from the "low K" group buy last week was the switch. It feels different, not bad in any way, but different. As I sit here playing with two raised-tail Rotaries, A two-year old vs. a newborn, the new one requires just a tad more force and travel before it activates as compared to the two-year old. Nothing off-putting, just my observation.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Maybe...really can't say myself...but there's also something else about the Rotary I noticed...there is ZERO sound or "grittyness" that has been known to exist when turned counter-clockwise. At least I can't detect it. It never bothered me anyways, but maybe now it will! Just like crossing beams!

Last edited:

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first thing I noticed when I got my 35k 219c raised-tail Rotary from the "low K" group buy last week was the switch. It feels different, not bad in any way, but different. As I sit here playing with two raised-tail Rotaries, A two-year old vs. a newborn, the new one requires just a tad more force and travel before it activates as compared to the two-year old. Nothing off-putting, just my observation.

I observed the exact same thing. I think that the plastic disc that used to be between the rubber and actual switch has been removed. Not sure how I feel about its removal. I like that the flashlight won't activate accidentally as easily but I also liked the ease of turning it on from before and the tactile feel itself...

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So my ultimate material would be high-strength, with an even harder surface finish. It would be low density so that it carried easily, yet have close to the highest possible thermal conductivity of all practical materials. Oh, wait....

No, seriously, for those interested I just made this. May help some understand what their lights will be like in real life:

sd5bh12.jpg

jruser

Newly Enlightened
I want a Tungsten or Tungsten Carbide HDS. Why doesn't anybody make lights out of that? Expensive? I'd be kind of pumped for stainless steel run too.

I wouldn't buy copper, but I might buy brass or bronze depending on price.

Anybody want to guess what percentage of HDS sold are 123 sized? If anything, my only regret for the titanium run is not having it in 18650. Not enough interest in the size?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...my only regret for the titanium run is not having it in 18650. Not enough interest in the size?
I knew a lot of people would be hoping for that and mine would have been for the 18350 tube if there had not been problems preventing it from being offered. But. I've been using 16340 for years and will be happy to have them in my Ti Rotary as well, until the difficulties are overcome and we get the slightly larger tubes someday.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I observed the exact same thing. I think that the plastic disc that used to be between the rubber and actual switch has been removed. Not sure how I feel about its removal. I like that the flashlight won't activate accidentally as easily but I also liked the ease of turning it on from before and the tactile feel itself...

Any knowledge as to why the disc was removed? Maybe it was partly responsible for the left-turn vibe-noise in some Rotaries? In any case, I do like the fact that accidental activation will be mitigated. Whatever they did, this 35k rotary mechanism is smooooth like butter. Great job!

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tensile strength.. Do you plan to use your Ti HDS for auto jack stands?

Well, it speaks to it's ability to withstand crushing the tube if dropped and run over, which has happened, or just gross denting in a drop. I thought about including hardness, to address nicks and surface dents, but it seems to follow a close trend to strength, and is hard to compare due to the materials being measured on different scales.

Hey, if we (and Henry) were not demanding in the lights durability, we'd all be fine with plastic lights. In all fairness, my polycarbonate Princeton Tec lights are dang tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.