HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Although I try to be a little more careful with my brass and bronze flashlights than, say, steel and titanium ... aluminum bronze seems to be the toughest of the red metals I've used.
Absolutely, and the Ni-Al-bronze is apparently the toughest of them all.

"Similar to other grades of aluminum bronze, C95500 contains nickel. Nickel makes C95500 aluminum bronze one of the toughest non-ferrous alloys known. The alloy exhibits exceptional yield, compressive strength, high hardness, and fairly high elongation. It is an excellent bearing material suitable for heavy duty, high shock, and high impact applications. The alloy has good resistance to sea water corrosion, heat resistance, good machinability, and weldability."

"Aluminium bronze is a type of bronze in which aluminium is the main alloying metal added to copper, in contrast to standard bronze (copper and tin) or brass (copper and zinc). A variety of aluminium bronzes of differing compositions have found industrial use, with most ranging from 5% to 11% aluminium by weight, the remaining mass being copper; other alloying agents such as iron, nickel, manganese, and silicon are also sometimes added to aluminium bronzes."

doctordun

Enlightened
Saving for the Aluminum Bronze now.......I must be sick or crazy spending this much on lights.
However, it seems I am in good company.

toads

Newly Enlightened
How's the weight on al-bronze lights? I have a brass Reylight Pineapple and it's significantly heavy for its size. I'm imagining a rotary in brass should be sold with a fortified leather belt to keep your pants up.

JKolmo

Enlightened
I hope it will be a super heavy, smelly, easy beat up piece that doesn't make any excuses for itself. [emoji3]

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
How's the weight on al-bronze lights? I have a brass Reylight Pineapple and it's significantly heavy for its size. I'm imagining a rotary in brass should be sold with a fortified leather belt to keep your pants up.

I know a guy who could make that belt happen...

Well, hopefully in a year when someone comes on and suggests something, everyone else will chime in with "Stop!" "Don't say things like that!"

Be careful what you wish for... you just might get it.

jruser

Newly Enlightened
Alright, count me in on the bronze. Hogo, is there anything else special coming up? If so, is like to know now so I can prioritize.

I think the Ti run was announced the day I received my 4000k group buy. That was really difficult to explain to the wife.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, count me in on the bronze. Hogo, is there anything else special coming up? If so, is like to know now so I can prioritize.

I think the Ti run was announced the day I received my 4000k group buy. That was really difficult to explain to the wife.

Nope that's it. Past the point of no return with the machinist.

Most likely, when we offer these, it will be like the titanium run as I don't expect them to last longer than 5 minutes. 20 titaniums sold within the first 2 minutes according to Henry when he looked through the time stamps on the orders while processing.

My plan would be to run the Bronze first, then the Naval Brass after that so if someone missed out on Bronze, they would have a shot at Naval Brass.

I wouldn't expect any special material runs to happen again for quite some time. Most likely, it would only happen again with a completely different light. Rotary Mark II or whatever. It would have to be significantly different, and while we have plans for something like this, it sure isn't going to happen anytime soon. Think "Henry two months".

moltenmag

Enlightened
Nope that's it. Past the point of no return with the machinist.

Most likely, when we offer these, it will be like the titanium run as I don't expect them to last longer than 5 minutes. 20 titaniums sold within the first 2 minutes according to Henry when he looked through the time stamps on the orders while processing.

My plan would be to run the Bronze first, then the Naval Brass after that so if someone missed out on Bronze, they would have a shot at Naval Brass.

I wouldn't expect any special material runs to happen again for quite some time. Most likely, it would only happen again with a completely different light. Rotary Mark II or whatever. It would have to be significantly different, and while we have plans for something like this, it sure isn't going to happen anytime soon. Think "Henry two months".

You're still planning on doing a Natural HAIII run after brass/bronze, right?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're still planning on doing a Natural HAIII run after brass/bronze, right?

That one is going to take some serious time. Henry won't do it if the colors don't match. We have some bare aluminum parts being run with this order so that we can test it and see. If it does happen, it would most likely be pretty small, and close to the same price of brass/bronze. Henry's plan is to put the parts together, then have them anodized as sets so each light is in the same spot in the tank. Very labour intensive and we don't know if it will work like we are hoping. If it does happen, I suspect it will be a few months AFTER the titanium, brass, and bronze ship.

scout24

Flashaholic
One Archidento Naval Brass with a 3000k emitter, please. No reinforced belt, I'll just do curls with it as I carry it...

moltenmag

Enlightened
That one is going to take some serious time. Henry won't do it if the colors don't match. We have some bare aluminum parts being run with this order so that we can test it and see. If it does happen, it would most likely be pretty small, and close to the same price of brass/bronze. Henry's plan is to put the parts together, then have them anodized as sets so each light is in the same spot in the tank. Very labour intensive and we don't know if it will work like we are hoping. If it does happen, I suspect it will be a few months AFTER the titanium, brass, and bronze ship.

I do not care about matching anodizing on my Natural HA lights. Call me crazy, but I actually prefer the imperfect look of mismatched anodizing… If you happen to come across a light that doesn't match, please let me know and I will gladly buy it from you. If only I had an HDS that looked like this... The HDS SCAR...

SCAR-16S-128.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.