HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Well said, kaichu dento.

I loved my rotary from the instant I got it. It was awesome. Then I got confident enough to go into the customizations, and I loved it even more. Pseudo momentary, locator beacon, strobe that wasn't going to be unintentionally accessed, auto shut off, etc.
I'm not really sure exactly why, but it took about a year, and my second exposure to the Rotary to finally decide I needed one. Another CPF member had sent me a Rotary and told me I could keep it, but after a few weeks with it I sent it back and initially decided the Clicky was better for me. Second time around I bought one in the Marketplace and now Rotary's are the only full-size lights I carry, with two on me at all times. I carry my bronze as a main light, and another as my spare battery carrier/loaner light.
Momentary, auto-shutoff, locator beacon and custom levels used to be the customization features I accessed every time I bought another Clicky, but now with the Rotary, no more need to worry about setting and resetting the levels.

Reactions: RPC

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carried a Tactical for several years. I may be biased since I helped in the development of it... but I think it really is the only one-handed multi-level light that works with a Perp-B-Gone... unless you have software version 2.18 and enable True Momentary in another HDS. It is a bit of a moot point as using a flashlight with a portable hole puncher is a planned activity, and hopefully you have good planning and time to plan... but that isn't always the case...

Since hanging up my issued gear, I moved to the Rotary (we didn't have True Momentary in the options menu until 2015 a few years after I stopped doing shilly sit for a living and quit getting a check from the taxpayers). For me, I like the extra levels and now only use strobe for improv dance parties.

I could care less how lumens are coming out the end of my light. I don't need a number. I want just enough to see what I need to see. No more. No less. My lights are always turned to the lowest level when I turn them on, then I dial it up to just where I need it. This preserves both the battery and my rhodopsin (and the older you get, the longer it takes your eyes to get that neat little chemical back) and I treat it like every round in a tiny sub-compact hole puncher... you don't want to waste them.

This is just my preference, and if I had a stroke or brain injury and went back to work for the government... I would go back to a Tactical, as for now, even though I carry my American Express cochlea hair destroyer everywhere (don't leave home without it... or the living room for that matter) I like the Rotary.

Last edited:

Beard Man

Enlightened
How to remember all these settings: Pseudo momentary, locator beacon, strobe,auto shut off, etc.?

Very complicated and confusing,there are a lot of clicks for different settings ...:eek:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
How to remember all these settings: Pseudo momentary, locator beacon, strobe,auto shut off, etc.?

Very complicated and confusing,there are a lot of clicks for different settings ...:eek:

Actually, not. The way the light ships, there isn't anything you need to do... Especially on the Rotary or Tactical. Click on and rotate the tail.... or rotate the tail and click on. That simple. Now, if you WANT to go in and customize it, that is where it gets more complicated and some reading will be required. Actually, the Rotary and Tactical are about as fool proof as a light can get that has variable output.

Beard Man

Enlightened
Actually, not. The way the light ships, there isn't anything you need to do... Especially on the Rotary or Tactical. Click on and rotate the tail.... or rotate the tail and click on. That simple. Now, if you WANT to go in and customize it, that is where it gets more complicated and some reading will be required. Actually, the Rotary and Tactical are about as fool proof as a light can get that has variable output.

So,all these customization settings are just addition to the main Rotary,right?

Even with all the customizations,the Rotary retain its simple and unchanging function?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

It can seem confusing at first, but once you've used a chart, or video to help you through it, you're all set. Make your selections one time and then just use the light. For my purposes there used to be a few sets of clicks I had to remember when using the Clicky. How many clicks for raising/lowering levels, clicks for activating/deactivating the locator beacon, and very importantly, how many clicks to candle mode.

Now with the newest iteration of the Rotary, the beacon remembers its setting even through battery changes and I no longer worry about which brightness settings I've selected since I'm using a Rotary. That leaves 9 clicks for candle mode, or 4 clicks if I want to deactivate the locator beacon.

Once you're used to it, you'll hardly even think about it once it becomes second nature.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Even with all the customizations,the Rotary retain its simple and unchanging function?

Yes. They are just additions... things you can do if you want. The light is shipped in the simplest format. If you want to customize it, you can.
We even changed the Rotary so that it is almost impossible to get into a mode you don't want (we learned this at SHOT Show where folks would pick up the light and click like mad... having no idea how the light worked) so we made it ship in KISS mode. You can hand it to a total flashlight novice and they will have the basic operation figured out in about 5 seconds with no manual or instruction. Click on and turn the tail to adjust the brightness. Or turn the tail clockwise to make it brighter and counter clockwise to make it dimmer. You can also move the tail while off, and then it will turn on in the setting the tail is in. Really doesn't get any more simple. But underneath, there is a bunch of customization you can do if you want.

Beard Man

Enlightened
Yes. They are just additions... things you can do if you want. The light is shipped in the simplest format. If you want to customize it, you can.
We even changed the Rotary so that it is almost impossible to get into a mode you don't want (we learned this at SHOT Show where folks would pick up the light and click like mad... having no idea how the light worked) so we made it ship in KISS mode. You can hand it to a total flashlight novice and they will have the basic operation figured out in about 5 seconds with no manual or instruction. Click on and turn the tail to adjust the brightness. Or turn the tail clockwise to make it brighter and counter clockwise to make it dimmer. You can also move the tail while off, and then it will turn on in the setting the tail is in. Really doesn't get any more simple. But underneath, there is a bunch of customization you can do if you want.

Thanks Hogo! Seems like I need to get one Rotary ... (I wish HDS has first-time Rotary buyer discount ...) :rolleyes:

How's overall quality control: uncentered emitters,cracks in the reflector,gritty Rotary dials,ring in the outer spill,hole in the middle of the beam at extreme close range....?

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take a shot at this one. FWIW, I've owned about 6 HDS, handled another 2.

Emitter centering is really good. Not always perfect, but top tier. The only one I had that was askew was my GD, but that one had a funny footprint. And I only paid like $99.

Reflectors were always pristine. Both smooth and OP.

Cross is visible in beam at extreme (< 0.5 inches?) closeup range when I'm hunting white walls.

I held off on taking the rotary plunge for years because I was worried about gritty dials. But the mechanism was recently redesigned by Henry, reducing (or eliminating?) likelihood of grittiness. My "new tail" rotary is buttery smooth. I recommend buying a new rotary directly from HDS (vs marketplace) if you're worried about this.

My beam does have a detectable ring around outside edge, but this doesn't bother me. My emitter is a grail: sw45k. Absolutely love the beam.

As others have noted I love the configurability options and AFAIK the UI (rotary plus tail eswitch) isn't offered anywhere else. I have strobe set up as triple click, and use the locator beacon at night in lieu of illuminated switch button (a feature I really like).

Wish the firmware had a battery voltage check feature and that the tail or entire body was 7075 for counter-dings. But I happily and enthusiastically carry mine daily. HDS makes a really great product. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
How's overall quality control: uncentered emitters,cracks in the reflector,gritty Rotary dials,ring in the outer spill,hole in the middle of the beam at extreme close range....?

Lets be honest now...if you're looking for a light without all those characteristics, one of these lights might not be in your wheelhouse. There are ring(s) in the beam. There is a hole in the middle of the beam at "extreme close range." You may very well get a light whose emitter isn't exactly centered. The anno on the light might not meet your expectations for a $300 light.

However, what you're going to encounter in the HDS subforum with questions/complaints such as those is some form of "those things don't really matter because it's a tool to be used." Remember, perception in reality to everyone, regardless of its truthfulness.

Instead, know that if there are "faults" with one of these lights that causes a real usability problem, it will be taken care of, no matter if you're the first owner or the fifth.

Most HDS owners are multiple owners, and for them, they are so for a reason.

Sos24

Enlightened

The rotary is nice because it is very simple to pick up and use.
Tail switch to turn on, then rotate the dial where you want the light level.

If you decide you want to customize some of the settings, then you have to go through several steps. The good things is that these steps are nicely laid out in the users guide. Also, most these steps once done how you want, you won't have to do the steps again. Now that I know how I like my rotary set-up, I set it up when I first get the light then don't go into customization again.

Even if you choose to customize some settings, day-to-day use is still only click then rotate and maybe a few multi-clicks when needed to access specific levels.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
If you decide you want to customize some of the settings, then you have to go through several steps. The good things is that these steps are nicely laid out in the users guide. Also, most these steps once done how you want, you won't have to do the steps again. ......
and the other good thing about that is that once it's done you can't accidently change what you've programmed in because the steps/clicks required to change programmming are not in any way similar to the steps/clicks required for general operation of the torch so there's going to be no accidental re-programming. The whole programming setup was obviously designed by someone who knew exactly what they were doing and exactly how these sorts of torches are used in real life and thought it alll out very carefully before letting the products looose on us.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, what you're going to encounter in the HDS subforum with questions/complaints such as those is some form of "those things don't really matter because it's a tool to be used." Remember, perception in reality to everyone, regardless of its truthfulness.

Instead, know that if there are "faults" with one of these lights that causes a real usability problem, it will be taken care of, no matter if you're the first owner or the fifth.

Most HDS owners are multiple owners, and for them, they are so for a reason.

I think Beard's questions are legitimate. It's an expensive light, and reasonable to want to know exactly what you're buying. Those are important details to many enthusiasts, and this is the place to find the answers. Unreasonable, IMHO, to demand a manufacturer make changes, but not to ask. Get the data and then make your own decision.

I agree that Henry has remarkable customer service. I had what I considered a minor problem with excessive switch "squishiness." Henry fixed it no questions asked. Other concerns might be more difficult to address though.

Last edited:
Reactions: RPC

nbp

Flashaholic
I recommend to buy both. Then get some extras.....

ww8rvYf.jpg

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Beard's questions are legitimate.

Nowhere with my response did I imply illegitimacy. Rather, I suggested that such questions in an HDS subforum would be met as they have been numerous times before, with a pretty standard answer. Further, I suggested that such things - which, btw, are present in most lights, even where cost is a consideration - needn't be cause for consternation, as the loyal HDS following speaks for itself and the lights.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Just checked both of my Rotary's:

Centered emitters ✓
No cracks in reflectors ✓
Smooth turning dials ✓
No ring in outer spill ✓
No hole in middle of beams ✓

For someone to find a hole in the center of my beams they'd have to be so close that the light itself would be in the way (less than 2", and still light in the middle.) Most reports of holes in the middle of beams will be from older lights.

I've only held 5 or 6 Rotary's and have never felt the reported grittiness in the dials and believe it's something that wasn't there at the start, appeared for a time, then was solved.

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really sure exactly why, but it took about a year, and my second exposure to the Rotary to finally decide I needed one.

With all this talk about Rotaries, I had to purchase a brand new Rotary High Noon this morning from KnivesAndTools in the Netherlands. Might be here by Saturday.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nowhere with my response did I imply illegitimacy.
Concur. It was not my intention to suggest you were. I apologize for the lack of precision.

Rather, I suggested that such questions in an HDS subforum would be met as they have been numerous times before, with a pretty standard answer.
This was the point of my post: that others might disregard his questions with a standard answer (i.e. "it makes no sense to worry about that" or "since I don't worry about that, you shouldn't worry about that").

Further, I suggested that such things - which, btw, are present in most lights, even where cost is a consideration - needn't be cause for consternation, as the loyal HDS following speaks for itself and the lights.
Agree that Beard's concerns manifest in many, but not all, lights. My opinion is that reasonable flashlight enthusiasts can disagree on whether a particular flashlight variable is a cause for consternation. We each value different things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.