HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctordun

Enlightened
I'm sure this has been done and documented somewhere by someone.
How much battery capacity is saved by stepping down each level?
Each of my lights, I have a preset that is level 18 or 19 which the chart equates to approximately 50 lumens. I figured that was a good compromise of light to battery life.
Suggestions would be appreciated.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I just performed a runtime test on my new 225 SST CRI Rotary with the on the new R123's that HDS sells rated at 700mah. I have my rotary set up so max does not step down. I got 48 minutes on max brightness before step down. I am very happy with these results. Just thought I would share. :)

GoVegan

Enlightened
I didn't think I'd ever say this, but I'm slowly coming around to the idea of purchasing a rotary style HDS, actually if I do it would most likely be the EDC Tactical.
However the biggest blocker holding me back is that the rubber boots can't be replaced like on my clickies.

I remember I previously read that the HDS lights are going to have a major redesign sometime in the not so distant future and this will then allow you to be able to swap the rotary/clicky bodies, but I haven't read anything about the actual rotary design being worked on. Anyone remember if Hogo mentioned anything about this?

I would really require the the rotary light to be field maintainable before I buy one (or more).

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I didn't think I'd ever say this, but I'm slowly coming around to the idea of purchasing a rotary style HDS, actually if I do it would most likely be the EDC Tactical.
However the biggest blocker holding me back is that the rubber boots can't be replaced like on my clickies.

I remember I previously read that the HDS lights are going to have a major redesign sometime in the not so distant future and this will then allow you to be able to swap the rotary/clicky bodies, but I haven't read anything about the actual rotary design being worked on. Anyone remember if Hogo mentioned anything about this?

I would really require the the rotary light to be field maintainable before I buy one (or more).

I do not recall reading that, but I do belive you can send your light in to be re-programmed to turn a clicky into a rotary and vice-versa. Have no fear, the rubber buttons are made of very thick rubber, and the new one is more robust than the older ones. If it ever does wear out, should be fixable by sending it in to be fixed. I would not hesitate, buy a panda while you can!!

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think I'd ever say this, but I'm slowly coming around to the idea of purchasing a rotary style HDS, actually if I do it would most likely be the EDC Tactical....

I had this POV for a while and currently have a Rotary, three Executives, and about six extra rubber buttons. The benefit of 24 light levels on the Rotary make it the better choice as you can dial in the exact light level you need instantly. The tactical rotary only gives you 12 lumen level choices instantly. The Executive only gives you four lumen level choices instantly.

I have used my Executive 325 NLT twice daily, for dog walking, for over a year and click the heck out of the button every single day. I must click that button at least 50 times a day. The rubber button is not even close to showing any signs of wear. I carry my Rotary during daylight hours and do not think twice about wearing out the rubber button. If I even had a doubt about button wear out I would have purchased two identical rotaries so that I would have a back up when I send the other one to Henry. Since I do not have any doubt about the longevity of the rubber button I have not purchased the second Rotary.

JKolmo

Enlightened
Ohhh, I had doubts about rubber longevity. So I had to buy me a couple of extras. Just in case. [emoji3]
c6efd8b49879302cd6a6ec45392b51b0.jpg

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only truly worn out buttons I have seen are flush buttons and it is where the person uses their fingernail to push the button... a good hard thumbnail can start cutting into the rubber. I think we had 2 cases like this.

Couple of myths. A mechanical switch is more reliable than an electronic switch. Nope. Not even close. Current electronic switch in the HDS is rated at 1,000,000 clicks. That is 278 clicks a day for 10 years.... or 28 clicks a day for 100 years.

You click more with a... Clicky than you do with a Rotary.

HDS time is very much like geological time. What is quick or soon in geological time is several lifetimes in human time. HDS is very similar.

Henry and I have spoken a lot about a new model to replace the current model. It is all talk... BUT... if the Clicky does not go extinct, it won't be user serviceable as far as the button like the current model, and the new model will most likely NOT be interchangeable with the current models... Let the bitching begin.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
The only truly worn out buttons I have seen are flush buttons and it is where the person uses their fingernail to push the button... a good hard thumbnail can start cutting into the rubber. I think we had 2 cases like this.

Couple of myths. A mechanical switch is more reliable than an electronic switch. Nope. Not even close. Current electronic switch in the HDS is rated at 1,000,000 clicks. That is 278 clicks a day for 10 years.... or 28 clicks a day for 100 years.

You click more with a... Clicky than you do with a Rotary.

HDS time is very much like geological time. What is quick or soon in geological time is several lifetimes in human time. HDS is very similar.

Henry and I have spoken a lot about a new model to replace the current model. It is all talk... BUT... if the Clicky does not go extinct, it won't be user serviceable as far as the button like the current model, and the new model will most likely NOT be interchangeable with the current models... Let the bitching begin.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]I understand you may be [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]referencing[/FONT] between the HDS Clicky and HDS Rotary, but Surefire's Z41 tailcaps are magnitudes more robust and reliable than any electronic switch found in any HDS light. And the physics of how they work and function, with their simplistic and fail proof design, would disprove any conjecture about HDS's electronic switches being more reliable than any other switch.

[/FONT]

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it will be even more reliable than now, then so be it :)

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]I understand you may be [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]referencing[/FONT] between the HDS Clicky and HDS Rotary, but Surefire's Z41 tailcaps are magnitudes more robust and reliable than any electronic switch found in any HDS light. And the physics of how they work and function, with their simplistic and fail proof design, would disprove any conjecture about HDS's electronic switches being more reliable than any other switch.

[/FONT]

I believe he was referring to mechanical click switches like the mcclickie. The SF twisty tailcap, which I believe is what you are talking about, is about as simple and foolproof as you can get.

I'm curious though how you know that it is "magnitudes" more reliable than an e-switch. Do you know how many HDS lights have had an e-switch failure?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand you may be referencing between the HDS Clicky and HDS Rotary, but Surefire's Z41 tailcaps are magnitudes more robust and reliable than any electronic switch found in any HDS light. And the physics of how they work and function, with their simplistic and fail proof design, would disprove any conjecture about HDS's electronic switches being more reliable than any other switch.

LOL! HDS doesn't manufacture the electronic switch. We have the test data. Show me some test data on the SureFire.

Facts don't care about your feelings kiddo.

Status
Not open for further replies.