HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

redryder

Enlightened
Start saving. You have a couple months.

There is something new (everything old is new again) on all the HDS lights that are going out now as well… And were on every light we shipped yesterday… Which is quite a few lights. Now a standard feature again on HDS lights... you will just have to wait to figure it out until some people start posting it... because I am an evil evil man.

Orange peel reflector?

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Luminus SST-20 4000k would certainly be nice

What would the output be on these?

I have a few of these in Sofirn CO1s, they are very nice but if I recall the group buy discussion correctly, they would be a lower output than a lot of options in that size due to heat.

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened
What would the output be on these?

I have a few of these in Sofirn CO1s, they are very nice but if I recall the group buy discussion correctly, they would be a lower output than a lot of options in that size due to heat.

I don't think they would generate a lot of heat at 1 Amp

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here they are, 3535...from left to right:
219B, 219C, SST20, 319A and 351D

The best throw between them IMO is SST20, best beamshape is 319A (hex die), best CRI 219B and overall impression for general use is 351D 5000k which is the brightest of them all at the same current.

88fb6e2ffe4987b9ffe01446a12b879a.jpg
c02b621146a346c7083a43792119f6d7.jpg

Last edited:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a big difference with throw or hotspot if you choose the OP or smooth reflector

Johnnyh

Enlightened
There is the 219B 4000K 9080 currently available. I love this LED. My Aluminium Rotary is on the way with this Emitter. :D

Got one a couple of days ago and have to agree...it's really special...wasn't planning on another HDS just yet but this one...couldn't resist...glad I snagged it. Slightly warmer than the 45K R9080 with the same eye-popping CRI. Couldn't be happier!

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a big difference with throw or hotspot if you choose the OP or smooth reflector

I ve tried swapping 4 different style reflectors, 3 different lenses on MANY different lights and though there isn't a noticeable difference in throw or hotspot especially when you're using it at distances that I am.

It's not a noticeable improvement worth spending money for "hunting" specific parts unless there are special characteristics you are looking for but for me I prefer the new sapphire lenses with the bronze coating and the shallow mirrored op reflectors.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@JohnnyH
Glad to see there are other 219B 4000K 9080 lovers :thumbsup:

@usdiver
I also agree that it doesn't matter if the reflector is "old style OP" (that is the OP that were available years ago in the Rotaries and Clickies) the SM and the new OP reflector.
I have them all and the difference is it definately not worth snagging for an OP or a SM reflector. At all the beam is >95% the same. The only thing that looks better on the OP reflectors is the reflector itself. The SM reflector may have little "scratches" that is coming from the production process. The OP looks "perfect"...

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@warrioroflight
Thanks for the comment and confirming my thoughts.
I have seen some smooth mirrored reflectors and some with the surface marks you mentioned and some worse... while I realize it doesn't affect the beam i still prefer shallow op reflectors and if anything I could say it adds character to the light.
I m still interested in the throw accessory Oz is working on but apart from that the 325nlt, high noon, and 250 are the best contenders at the moment while the 250 is only let down (for me) due to the cool tint.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast

In low to mid power flashlights you won't notice it unless it's crapy quality build. But if you are using for a long time smooth reflector and install OP, you'll see a beam smoothened, without distinctively visible corona (especially on XPG3 emitter where phosphorus is applied outside of emitter dome).

Generally i prefer OP because more beautiful beam but not many will notice it.
OP due to textured surface reduces a bit the throw but again in HDS is not that much important like in GT mini/micro for example

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's up with the green rings and red rings on the positive contact inside the hds head?

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's up with the green rings and red rings on the positive contact inside the hds head?

The color of the ring correlates to the lumen rating for the flashlight. Its kinda how different "models" can be differentiated instead of giving them different names/model numbers. There's probably a chart somewhere with all the colors, but since you mentioned them -- green = 120lm, red = 200lm. I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.