HDS Systems EDC Holsters # 1

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
My most used holster the past few weeks, I like this much better than a headlamp harness. Been great out hunting and at night.

p3379530047-4.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a very low profile design with lots of retention. I think it would be great if it were slightly modified for belt carry. Could be either vertical or horizontal.

doctordun

Enlightened
I just got a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 with a Tricap after Hogo's glowing mini review.
Is a holster for this even possible with the large head and tricap? The tricap is larger than the body and of course the head is a bit large period.
I could not think of a way to carry other than in a waist pouch that I use.
Any ideas out there in HDS land? I already have a Hogo holster for each of my HDS's.
If this is not appropriate for this forum, I will ask the post to be removed and I will contact Hogo directly at a later time. No rush on this at all.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Below are photos of my new Thors Hammer Custom Leather holster and lessons learned from owning more than a few HDS leather holsters...

My new holster front view - Belt clip, flap w/one way snap, pigskin lined on holster rounded portion, suede lined on flap:

collection-4.jpg

My new holster side view:

collection-3.jpg

My current collection of holsters:

collection-1.jpg

Current collection of HDS holsters:

Starting clockwise from twelve noon position.

1. Two black downward draw holsters suede lined and one way snap.
2. In pocket holster
3. Travel pouch
4. Storage pouch - 3 lights - with belt clip.
5. Horizontal and vertical carry - belt clip, pigskin lined on holster rounded portion, suede lined on flap.
6. Two black holsters 45 degree canted - one with belt clip and the other with belt loop.

Lessons learned.

1. Downward draw holsters work great when having to draw from under a jacket. Suede lining protects one way snap from scratching light and provides good retention for downward draw use.
2. Military snaps work really, really well and are secure.
3. Pigskin lining is really thin, making a smaller footprint, and it protects the one way snap from scratching the light.
4. Horizontal carry and canted carry work best when driving a vehicle. They give you access to the light while in a seat belt and driving.
5. Downward draw, canted, and horizontal carry allow one to put the light into action right away. With vertical and pocket carry one has to manipulate the light more to put it into action.
6. Downward draw and vertical carry seem to best make the light less visible to others as it allows the light to run parallel to the length of your body.
7. Suede lining in the flap gives the flap more substance especially for heavy daily use.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would add the following lessons learned:

1) Always get the pull-the-dot snap. The other one is weak.

2) Never opt for a design that prevents your fingers from easily grasping the flashlight.

3) High ride / pancake holsters provide the easiest draw (for me). Standard belt clip designs flex upward during the draw, making it difficult to withdraw the flashlight.

4) Don't ask Dan to make pancake holsters. He hates them, despite being particularly good at making them.

5) Be unique. I don't mean blingy, unless that's your thing, but make it yours.

6) Always get a suede lining. This is CPF, after all.

7) Carry a spare! Double holsters are better than single holsters because double holsters can hold two HDSes. This is CPF, after all.

8) Don't buy custom leather unless you intend to buy more custom leather. This is CPF, after all.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
@modernflame
I couldn't have said it better myself. You and I seem to have the same things in mind with holsters. PTD are the best out there but one has to know what they are doing putting them in but they are well worth the extra cost.

My perfect idea of a holster is a stingray where the top (open) stops at the top of the HDS head just below the narrow area on the tail but the spring clips are too long to let this happen so pancake or belt loop for 1 1/2" belt would have worked or it could have worked with the extra addition of the horizontal strap above that area and the PTD snap.

The lining is nice too but in my opinion not necessary as the snaps are brass and unless damaged or broken they aren't likely to scratch the finish unlike other materials. I've exposed these to black anodizing type 3 and found They can and sometimes will leave a mark but it rubs off or so has in my cases.

When it's all said and done easier and better as well as more economical in the long run to take your time, KNOW what you want and how you want it... and stick with it.
Besides if Dan hates the pancakes that much it's much better to get him to make 1 rather than 2 or three... unless you want different hides done of course. I think I would if I could.

I do prefer the exotic leathers for a holster... by the way who wound up with that horizontal Huey holster? I really liked that one!

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
P it's a a holster with belt slots and sits closer to the body. More stitching is required and it's not as quick to put on or take off. ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1563435099.225164.jpg