HDS U60 (w/seoul) or Fenix P2D....which would you pick?

slaps

Newly Enlightened
I had a U60 for about 3 months but sold it because I was too afraid to use such an expensive light as an EDC light. I just received a P2D today and I am impressed. It is extremely light weight and very bright. The build quality is good, but not to the level of an HDS. But...I will put my Fenix to extensive use as an EDC light and I won't feel guilty about a scratch or ding. I also will not feel underpowered. The Fenix P2D is bright!!

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS is a higher quality light but it's more expensive. Is the HDS four or five times as good as a Fenix? For some people, the Fenix would be a better choice because not everybody is willing to EDC a light the size of the HDS.

I'm hoping for a thinner HDS EDC.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art Vandelay said:
I'm hoping for a thinner HDS EDC.
Me too!
I've mentioned that a couple of times in other threads (in the HDS forum). I'd carry my HDS even more if it were thinner. I think the P2D is actually a lot thicker then it needs to be. I still keep the L1T with Nekomane CR123 tube around because it is so much smaller than the L2D. A lower end, thinner HDS with at least the Basic UI would have a place right beside my current HDS U60.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longbow said:
P2D!!!! Easier to use, lighter, as bitght or brighter, and better warrantee through 4 Sevens. (Also better looking.)

How is a P2D "easier to use" than a HDS? And seouled modded HDS's are putting out well over 110 lumens (out the front) according to folks with light meters.

CFU

adnj

Enlightened
You're kidding, right?
clipse said:
Just curious. Disregard price. If you had your choice, which would you pick and why?

(just fyi, I have an HDS EDC U60 with seoul but, the closest thing I have to the P2D is an L2D CE)

the fuzz

Enlightened
Its all about usability no doubt hds is better quality, but if you put a p3d in your pocket its a much easier light to carry.

And if iloose my p3d or scratch it i dont care as its a work horse light.

As for a HDS ill be crying as well if i lost it as an edc especially if your as forgetful as i.

Go for a P3D easy light to use

Longbow

Enlightened
Even the "good" becomes obsolete, that's why Henrey is "burning

the mid-night oil" to redesign and remain feature competitive with Fenix. He knows Fenix has the "edge".
smile.gif

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longbow said:
Even the "good" becomes obsolete, that's why Henrey is "burning

the mid-night oil" to redesign and remain feature competitive with Fenix. He knows Fenix has the "edge".
smile.gif

now its clear you are being sarcastic:crackup:

your first quote makes sense now

dinokay

Enlightened
I have both the U60GT and the Basic 60, they are extremely reliable works of art. I also have a P1d with a leef body that I'm very happy to own. In an emergency I would pick the HDS because it will take alot to kill this flashlight and the UI gives you more options. If money is not an issue I think you should get both, you will not be disappointed.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS hands down. The light is built like a tank. The UI totally kills the Fenix. The beam's really clean and balanced. The runtime is amazing at low levels (it's got real low levels), battery options that doesn't kill the regulation. Most lights will do at least 100lumens, the best fenix tested will only do ~115.

Warrenty is better even tho most of the time you won't need it.

LightBud

Newly Enlightened
HDS for sure. I have a U60GT that's a shelf queen, but I still take her for a walk once in a while and the beam is far more usable that the Fenix. A near perfect combination of throw and spill.

smknman

Newly Enlightened
Thats like choosing between building a house of brick or of straw. HDS all the way. If I couldn't afford the HDS I would save up the money, I absolutely love by seouled B42xr and if I ever loose it I will buy another one without hesitation.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longbow said:
P2D!!!! Easier to use, lighter, as bitght or brighter, and better warrantee through 4 Sevens. (Also better looking.)

I'm sorry to disagree with all of the above except for the weight..
The HDS can be set to have momentary on and the only advantage of the P2D is the high-low head twist, the other options are easier to get to with a HDS..
A U-bin Seoul at 1 amp isn't going to bee less bright than the cree in a P2D
HDS sent a new tailcap in less than a week to Norway, and even 4Sevens can't beat that;)

The HDS is also sturdier and has better waterproofing..

Longbow

Enlightened
The more a $55 Fenix P2D is compared to a $300 HDS U60/Seoul, the better it looks. Period. :twothumbs :twothumbs

Last edited:

clipse

Enlightened
Thanks, for all the input. I kept reading ALOT about how people were saying the P2D is 'the' edc flashlight to have. That got me wondering if people were actually preferring it to the HDS EDC. I know my U60 with Seoul upgrade is very noticeably brighter than my L2D CE. I know for my purposes, I like my HDS EDC more than my L2D. The only thing my L2d has over my U60 is runtime on low. For and EDC though, I don't really need a light that will last 24 hours on low. Especially when I use rechargeable cells anyway. Since I've had my HDS for so long I often forget how much I spent.....in fact I can't remember how much I did spend. I now it was more than $100.....probably some where around $150. Thats why I asked to disregard the price, because I do.

clipse

RGB_LED

Enlightened
...I kept reading ALOT about how people were saying the P2D is 'the' edc flashlight to have. That got me wondering if people were actually preferring it to the HDS EDC... clipse
clipse, I have both an HDS U60 XRGT and a P2D-CE; if I had neither, I would buy the HDS. Truthfully, I'd still buy both!!! :naughty:

BUT, you just made a distinction in your last comment about edc'ing. I used to edc the HDS, now I edc the P2D. Even if the HDS was modded with a Seoul, I would probably still edc the P2D - primary reason is as stated by other posts; I would cry if I lost my HDS! However, what also comes into play is that the P2D is smaller, has very usable light levels and the UI is pretty darn easy.

I would still consider my HDS my number favourite light!

Rowrbazzle

Newly Enlightened
primary reason is as stated by other posts; I would cry if I lost my HDS!

+1. The only possible thing to do is buy one of each. There are times and places I just don't want to carry my HDS. Would hate to damage or lose it. Would hate even more having it stolen and having to track down and dismember the person stupid enough to steal something I have that much of a personal attachment to. The Fenix - perfectly usable, does everything about as well as I could ever ask, and if anything happens to it, I'm out $55: take out the wallet, pull out the VISA, buy another one. Period. No wailing, gnashing of teeth, pleading with God, or beating my head against the floor in despair.

Note to self: never again buy a flashlight nice enough to have its own serial number.