Headlamp advice - need new light for running/out door crossfit

ms86

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I'd first like to appologize in case i missed reviews or other threads inhere that answers my questions.
On to my questions.

As is
I own a Skillhunt H03 RC Cool White with TIR optics
1662534746977.png

I've been very satisfied with this light. The TIR optics ensures the beam is very even with no hot spots. It seems like a sturdy construction and i like the magnetic charging solution. I was looking for a headlamp that could deliver around 500 lumen for 3-4 hours, as i was running a lot at the time, in woods on trails, and often after nightfall. I also use it when attending some "outdoor crosstraining", which requires headlamps in the fall and winter when you live at my lattitude.

Issues arise
I started experiencing flickering when using the light. The light seems to turn off for a split second, before turning on again. This starts happening after maybe 5 minutes of use and often sooner. As far as i remember it happened on mid to higher light settings and repeats every few minutes. I asked skilhunt who asked me to use another battery, but the problem persists. It is pretty disconcerting running on a trail in a forest at night time and then experiencing light flickering, as if it's going to shut off. Hence, i want a new one!

What i'm looking for
  • I'm looking for a light thats not too heavy - 18650 is bordering that level - so i'd say max weight around 100 grams (~3,5 oz)
  • It needs to be sturdy! (endure bumps, drops, moisture, cold temperatures, water)
  • It needs to be recheargeable and battery replaceable - none brand specific/proprietary batteries
It would be preferable to not be uncomfortable to wear for a prolonged time (the H03 RC headstrap has a tendency to dig into your skin, so you need to wear a beanie)
  • It needs to be accesible in the eu market.
  • I like TIR optics, but not a must
  • I prefer natural/warm light colour.

What i've found so far
I'm contemptplating a Fenix HM51R V 2.0 (Ruby version) or a Fenix HM61R (amber version)

What i seem to not be able to is decide between the two.

HM61R con's:
  • The HM61R is 21,5g (0,76 oz / 28%) heavier,
  • I've read a thread where someone states that its uncomfortable to wear (digs into forehead)
HM61R pro's:
  • The HM61R has a higher peak output of 1200 lumens compared to the 700lumens of the HM51R V2.0
  • The HM61R is magnetically charged
  • The HM61R has a way larger battery capacity (18650 = max 3500mah) compared to the HM51R v2.0 (16340 = max 850mah)

HM51R V2.0 con's:
  • Has a smaller battery (16340 = 850mah)
  • Has dimmer peak output of 700 lumens
  • Uses a USB C type charging with a rubber lid (that, in my experience, is likely to fall off with wear)
HM51R V2.0 pro's:
  • Is cheaper than the HM61R
  • Is ligher than the HM61R
  • Is probably more comfortable than the HM61R

HM61R and HM51R 2.0 light levels compared
HM61R
1662536860860.png

HM51R V2.0 (Assuming its like the HM51R V2.0 - havn't been able to find output levels for the "ruby" version)
1662536874219.png

Now - Is the HM61R the way to go? Are there any more comfortable alternatives that are similarly priced?

Hope you can point me in the right direction :)

Best regards

Martin

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the traditional HM61R, I use it with another band and another support but I assure you that the traditional ones supplied with the headlamp are more comfortable.
So don't worry about the original holder and band.

Regarding HM51R I don't understand why you take it into consideration, if you ask for 500 lumens for 3 or 4 hours that's not where you will find them .. you would be forced to make frequent battery changes, even if it was more stabilized than the standard version.

If you want 500 lumens for three or four hours you just have to look at the Fenix HM70R, it will be heavier because it uses a 21700 battery but it can do what you ask. (6 hours at 500 lumens with spot light, 8 hours at 400 lumens with flood light - ANSI specification)

The HM61R is an excellent Headlamp, and the Amber version with the neutral tint makes it even better
So you have to settle for the 400 lumens for 4 hours of the HM61R or you have to watch the HM70R

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to add one thing, when you hold a headlamp on your head for many hours you often go and look at the weight of the headlamp.
Unfortunately, when we talk about comfort, lighter is not always more comfortable.
What matters is the size of the plastic or rubber backing.
I own many Zebralight headlamps, some with AA batteries and others with 18650 batteries, the most comfortable to wear are those 18650 (heavier) for the simple reason that the rubber support is wider.
By doing a sporting activity you are forced to tighten the elastic band on your head to prevent movement or that it falls, when you tighten the band it is important to have a wide plastic_rubber support otherwise your forehead will be the first to complain.
I don't know the differences between the rigid plastic holder of the HM61R vs that of the HM51 Ruby but I assume that the one of the small Headlamp will be smaller (therefore more uncomfortable than a larger plastic holder)

ms86

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

I'm more inclined to the HM61R Amber edition.

Just wanted to be sure i won't get a better offer else where. There are many brands producing similar products.

ArmyTek, Zebralight, Olight, Sofirn, Nitecore, Skilhunt...

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek you can watch Wizard, Wizard Pro, Elf models.

With Armytek you can choose the tint, Armytek's TIR lens has a very wide and pleasant beam - at close range the vision is better than the opaque FenixHM61R lens but you still have less throw.

They are sold with battery.
I have many Armyteks from a few years ago and I am happy with them but the recent models have a thermal sensor that intervenes at 58 degrees instead of 65C ° so they will drop earlier in brightness than the previous models.
This is not a drama but I don't like it, with the old versions I never had a problem with heat.
You can download the PDF of the Armytek models you are interested in and see in detail how many minutes it can stay at high power before it goes down (and how many lumens it goes down)

Zebralight is also an option but they are sold without a battery and have no USB or magnetic charging.
You will need to provide the battery and charger yourself.
Look at the H600Fc or H600Fd models Zebralight has various programmable light levels, you could set H2 as 562 lumens (3.1 hrs)

You can choose the tint between 4000 K or 5000 K
The opaque lens of these "F" Zebralight models in the old versions gave a beam similar to that of the HM61R but since currently the led is an XHP.50.2 now it will be wider and very similar to that of Armytek.

ms86

Newly Enlightened
Bonus question: what battery discharge current to drive the hm61r?

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also here on the forum there is a long thread about the HM61R

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have anything to offer as an answer, but just want to say that was a very well written question, ms86. Detailed, and organized.

Good replies from Stefano as well.

:lovecpf:

ms86

Newly Enlightened
I own the traditional HM61R, I use it with another band and another support but I assure you that the traditional ones supplied with the headlamp are more comfortable.
So don't worry about the original holder and band.

Regarding HM51R I don't understand why you take it into consideration, if you ask for 500 lumens for 3 or 4 hours that's not where you will find them .. you would be forced to make frequent battery changes, even if it was more stabilized than the standard version.

If you want 500 lumens for three or four hours you just have to look at the Fenix HM70R, it will be heavier because it uses a 21700 battery but it can do what you ask. (6 hours at 500 lumens with spot light, 8 hours at 400 lumens with flood light - ANSI specification)

The HM61R is an excellent Headlamp, and the Amber version with the neutral tint makes it even better
So you have to settle for the 400 lumens for 4 hours of the HM61R or you have to watch the HM70R
I take the HM50R v2 into consideration because i like the small formfactor.

To me there's somethinf very alluring about powerful small headlamps, that are surpricingly bright despite the small size.

Im actually even considering ordering the small one together with tge 61R, just because it's more handy for smaller runs.

Brst regards

Martin

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zl, weight is critical when you're running, unlike pretty much every other activity, you really do not want a headlamp to wobble up and down as you run, that is how they fall off, especially when your head is wet due to sweat. ZL is also smallest 18650 headlamp.
I went even farther and printed my own holder with larger area of contact between the holder and a forehead, it also uses 40mm band vs 25mm that comes stock, makes a huge difference, I actually did it for all my headlamps.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I love the zebralight headlamp. Its fantastic and they make a version that takes 18650s, mine being AAs.

borrower

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. My wife is Czech. Looks like I'm getting a new toy the next time we go to Prague.

For what it's worth, mine got from Europe to California in about 10 days. (Still super-happy with it. Just — like a couple of weeks ago — discovered that it had a built-in battery meter you could show on startup.)

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
More of an excuse to visit their shop. We go once a year so I will get one then.
Thanks, you are welcomed, our workshop in Prague is open Mo-Fr from 8 to 5p.m but its good to write email in advance that you plan to visit us. I can show you here whole manufacturing process if you are technically oriented.