Headlamp advice - need new light for running/out door crossfit

thebarefooter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, you are welcomed, our workshop in Prague is open Mo-Fr from 8 to 5p.m but its good to write email in advance that you plan to visit us. I can show you here whole manufacturing process if you are technically oriented.
Excellent, I will reach out before we visit. It will be in November or December.

Did you ever reach a conclusion? For me, running 500 lumens, sounds crazy, even in rough terrain. You will have so much foreground light that you will lose any peripheral vision. I find 200 about the limit, being very careful with beam pattern, not too wide, not too narrow. My cheap Olight H05 is about my favorite but it will never do 3-4 hours on high. I personally would not suggest Armytek, even though one of my favorite flashlights is Armytek. The beam is wide, which can be greta, but when used as a headlight, just a bit of moisture in the air, and it feels like you are in fog.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZLLG6RJ/?tag=cpf0b6-20 - These are better I find in most cases compared to a head lamp for running, and you get the rear safety light. No need for the trails of course. There I mix this with a headlight.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to believe Avanto is made in USA (origin) at the prices offered

@JustAnOldFashionedLEDGuy, How is beam pattern of Avanto Pro?

I like a round pattern with sufficient side spill..

Viewed their triple, for a buck more, but like you said with only 100/50% 500lms is way too much on trails.. Although, wouldn't mind checking one out.

It's hard to believe Avanto is made in USA (origin) at the prices offered

@JustAnOldFashionedLEDGuy, How is beam pattern of Avanto Pro?

I like a round pattern with sufficient side spill..

Viewed their triple, for a buck more, but like you said with only 100/50% 500lms is way too much on trails.. Although, wouldn't mind checking one out.

There is no way this thing is made in the US. Beam pattern is a bit spotty. Lumens is of course no where near the claimed 500 lumens, 250-300 at best, it is only a 2.2AH lithium. They have a spot/wide version now, but only one setting on/off for each wide and spot. I would like both at 1/2 power for long battery life.

Secateurs

Newly Enlightened
Zl, weight is critical when you're running, unlike pretty much every other activity, you really do not want a headlamp to wobble up and down as you run, that is how they fall off, especially when your head is wet due to sweat. ZL is also smallest 18650 headlamp.
I went even farther and printed my own holder with larger area of contact between the holder and a forehead, it also uses 40mm band vs 25mm that comes stock, makes a huge difference, I actually did it for all my headlamps.
a custom holder and band - that's what I need! Do you sell them?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
a custom holder and band - that's what I need! Do you sell them?
nope, i do not print anymore. i never sold them either, i can share stl files for a few lights that i made for myself, you can print them yourself or have someone with 3d printer, do it for you. i do not even have the printer anymore

Zl, weight is critical when you're running, unlike pretty much every other activity, you really do not want a headlamp to wobble up and down as you run, that is how they fall off, especially when your head is wet due to sweat. ZL is also smallest 18650 headlamp.
I went even farther and printed my own holder with larger area of contact between the holder and a forehead, it also uses 40mm band vs 25mm that comes stock, makes a huge difference, I actually did it for all my headlamps.
Regarding the self-printed, custom headlamp holder...would you consider making the template available to the community? I suspect there will be some interest in adapting the schematic to other headlamp specifications. Just a thought ..