• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Heads up advisory: Haiku Xp-G2 and Haiku High CRI

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I feel compelled to bring to your attention a new change in the Haiku XP-G2 and Haiku High CRI (119 and 119V). This change is in the form of a new run of reflectors I am now working with. I recently ran out of the last batch of reflectors and this new batch has a much finer orange peel surface. They are almost specular (smooth) in surface. This results with a tighter and more defined hotspot which provides added throw.

I would guess this is good news/ bad news depending on what one seeks from a flashlight beam. I would add that the difference is not dramatic in nature but it is an apparent difference and one I think I need to mention. Like so many aspects with these lights, this is a difference that is obvious when one compares two lights and focuses on the beam and its pattern itself as opposed to looking at the subject field and what is being illuminated.

Color temperature, tint and rendering aside, the Haiku XM-L is the flood version of the Haiku whereas the Haiku XP-G2 (HiC) is the throw version of the Haiku. This new reflector with smoother surface enhances the throw and could be seen as an improvement, further distinguishing the functional differences between the two Haikus.

I realize that when one wants to pick and choose beam pattern along with color and tint preferences there are some gaps that have grown some here. :hairpull:

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. I find my 'old' XP-G2 to be floody enough, certainly compared to Surefire TIR optics. If I buy another then I'll be interested to compare.

Last edited:

DucS2R

Enlightened
I just received one of the new reflectors with an XP-G2 and compared it with my older Haiku XP-G. The new one does have slightly better throw with a more pronounced hot spot. It is not a huge difference but I like it. What I do really notice is the improved color rendering of the XP-G2. It is very similar to my AA High CRI 119V, so much so that given it's greater lumen range, will probably become my EDC, giving my AA Haiku some needed rest.

T

psymons

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys how can I buy one please, sorry new to this.... Thanks Paul

DucS2R

Enlightened
Check out the available lights and ordering information in the stickies, and that will show you how to order plus it has links to each of the available lights. It is very easy to order, but deciding what to order takes some research. If you are like me, the research is fun. Or you can be realistic and just pick one at random, because in a few years you will own most of them anyway :)

nilfire77

Newly Enlightened
Just received a Haiku with the new reflector. I would say the beam profile is a bit "ringy", if that's what u guys call it.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure this will work because the reflectors are the same, but want to check. I have an AA 119V Haiku and would like to order a 3s X-PG2 mule and switch the LEs. If I'm correct, this would give me an AA 119V mule and a 3S XP-G2 Haiku.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I'm pretty sure this will work because the reflectors are the same, but want to check. I have an AA 119V Haiku and would like to order a 3s X-PG2 mule and switch the LEs. If I'm correct, this would give me an AA 119V mule and a 3S XP-G2 Haiku.

This will work but I need to know your intentions so I can properly place the LEED leads on the 3S Mule LE and protect the pads with Kapton tape so the LE will function properly in the Haiku head. You need to take care when exchanging LE's that the small O-ring in the cup on the rear of the reflector remains in place during the swap. As lon as you have the head facing down when you exchange the LOE's gravity should keep the O-ring in place.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, thank you for the reply. I've dealt with the o-rings before when changing LEs. I will send a clear email tonight or on Monday. For the lego 3s and a Sappfire GS. Bon weekend!

Edit: Although late here and I had a wonderful dinner, I sent an email. I hope it makes sense and I am not too blotto. I admit that I had to send a second email specifying a tapped clip.

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the new beam profile compared to a PD-S profile? Anyone..

For me, I much prefer the PD-S beam profile very much. Creamy smooth.