Help me understand the popularity of the TS10

StephenD

Newly Enlightened
From all I can tell, this anduril thing, along with this light, needs to be looked at in the realm of a toy. Instead of a serious lighting tool. Whatever that means. With all these modes and options, it's more for someone to play around with. And go ooh…ahhhh turning on turbo for a few seconds at a time. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I am not in any type of search and rescue. Law-enforcement. Firefighting. None of that. I just like lights. And being able to see when I go for a walk at night. And I'm sure this light could do OK at that. Not very efficiently because it's so floody, but it could work. And for only $20, I guess why not give One a shot. I'm waiting for red. If this is going to be a toy, I want it in a nice color. Bright orange would be best though.
I think a lot of anduril features can be considered toys (some are intentionally that way, like lightning mode, but that's all optional stuff you can just ignore), however the basic interface is also I think one of the best for EDC: you can easily set your 'memorised' (one click on) mode, rather than relying on automatic mode memory, which I really hate. You can also program what you want as turbo (double click), and what you want as 'low' (long click from off). That gives you immediate access to lows, mediums and highs (even if that's ~130 lumens), which you can all specify. For me this was far and away the most convenient basic EDC UI, until I discovered the zebralight UI -- they both have pros and cons, but overall I enjoy Zebra more.

I also used to really enjoy the way you could set 5, 10, 15 minute etc light off timers before bed, saved me from looking at my phone screen so much. I miss that and the aux lights most.

Edit: Generally though even as an experienced user I sometimes made mistakes, so agree with lots of other people that it's not appropriate for any kind of high stakes use. Same for zebra actually, I still sometimes accidentally strobe myself.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Well I just ordered one directly from their website. Red with 4k emitters and orange aux. with battery. $18.99usd

After all that - you ordered one? LOL, you caved. I was going to say, without getting too deep into the weeds, I'd have zero interest in this light either, for many reasons that you and others have stated. Yes, inexpensive, but ...

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know if the firmware has been updated so aux have some lvp?
yes, the Aux do have LVP. You can verify that by looking very closely to confirm that the Aux are Off when the main LEDs are On. Both of those factors were updated by firmware when the firefly lows were added, which is another way to verify that your light has the updated firmware.

The first run lights had lows of 0.2 lumens, presently the lows are 0.02. The Advanced Smooth Ramping mode uses the lowest low by default. You can confirm it by waving the light, it will show PWM dots very clearly at the lowest output.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
After all that - you ordered one? LOL, you caved. I was going to say, without getting too deep into the weeds, I'd have zero interest in this light either, for many reasons that you and others have stated. Yes, inexpensive, but ...
Cheap and fun to play with. Where else are you going to get that?.... Other than the street corner in certain neighborhoods. I'd rather have AUX than VD. ;)

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol. I wouldn't say I caved. I just understand the light better, and some of the design decisions. Plus, It looks nice. That was the point of the thread after all was to help me understand it. It wasn't a rant against an item I've never owned.
I have plenty of throwers and lights that can take sustained output. But I don't have any tiny AA sized lights. And I've never tried this anduril that is all the rage and thought I would give it a shot. I think as long as you know going in that this is a toy and not anything to be taken too seriously, I see no issue with it

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have plenty of fun playing with my expensive lights. For the price of that light, I could buy two brand new protected KeepPower 18650 cells.

Haha, no thanks. Been down that road more than once, back in my rock band days. Myself, a certain drummer, and a certain bass player were hound dogs back in the day, and paid the price a few times. No satisfactions to be had there.
Meh. I have like 50 18650s already. I don't need any more. A new light is much more useful

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Ok, let us know how you like it. I have an RRT01 on the way. It was more than $20, though. I'll let ya'll know how that one works out.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
1.jpg

NeilP

Enlightened
i think this is actually a 'troll' advertisinvg thread 🤣😆😜

i had not heard of this one, not looked at the forum for a while🤨🤨🧐.

Might have to buy myself one to try it out 😁🤣.

Great sales thread for it !

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Lol. Did kind of turn into that. I'm anxiously awaiting mine. I just got a new light, but it's obnoxiously intense and bright, not much use for playing around with

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I got it. First, I will go over some of the things I got wrong in my original post.
This thing is tiny. And very light. More so than I was expecting. So yeah, expecting 1400 lm out of this thing for a very long would be ridiculous. I've never felt a light get so hot so quickly. The thermals on it are built just fine, there's just so much power and such a little amount of mass.
It's a very pretty little light. So small that it's not actually that comfortable to use, but absolutely disappears in a pocket.
The floor level one is ridiculously dim. It's the middle of the day so it's going to be a few hours before I can really tell, but I'm not sure how much use such a low moonlight will be, and I will have to play around until I get a moonlight that I find useful, luckily it's easy to set the ramp floor. But the moonlight is much dimmer than the auxiliary lights are on high.
For now, I am going to keep Turbo mode, for now, and see what it's like at night. I have set it on smooth ramp with floor being level one ceiling being level 100. I believe default the high ceiling is level 120. And I have the speed of the ramp at five seconds from lowest highest.
Aux on low. They're very dim. Flashing on lockout. Not sure I'll use lockout but I'll at least be able to tell
Temp ceiling I've set to 55c to hopefully get a little more sustained output. I can adjust later if it gets too hot.
So far, it's definitely a fun little light. And the value was unreal. I got a nice little light, a pocket clip, a battery, a charger, and USB cable, a lanyard, and two glow-in-the-dark silicone rings. For about $14 USD. You really can't go wrong.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon seems to be the expert so I'll ask him, but anyone can answer.
What do you recommend as the ceiling level? I tried 100 last night but it's a bit too dim. I found I kept using turbo which felt overkill. So I reset it to 120 this morning before taking the pooches out. It's much better and probably around half or a little less of turbo. Definitely warmed up quicker but it was windy and snowing and 2C out so I'm sure that helped.
Overall it's a fun little light. But very much a close range endeavor. Because it's so floody, you need a lot of lumens to see. Which will in turn use up the small battery quickly and cause a lot of heat.
It may have the best emitters I've experienced. They're great. Perfect tint and cri. I thought the 519a was nice but these little no name guys are great.
It fits between the index and middle finger when carrying very nicely.
The button is nice but a little delayed which I'm not used to.
I still have to figure the bottom of the ramp out. Level one is neat if your use case of moonlight is to marvel at being able to stare directly at three illuminated LEDs without discomfort, but it's too dim. Even 2am bathroom breaks in a pitch black room, it's too dim. Around 0.5 to 1 lumen would be great. But I think level one is like 0.04L or something.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'll be honest, I just use the default setting on mine. (So, whatever the highest output happens to be on that. Whatever it is, it's very bright.) And, with the AUX red lights cranked up to their full setting.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be honest, I just use the default setting on mine. (So, whatever the highest output happens to be on that. Whatever it is, it's very bright.) And, with the AUX red lights cranked up to their full setting.
Nice. I like the aux lights being bright. I don't like the 3 days standby until cell is dead though

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around 0.5 to 1 lumen would be great.
that would be about level 15 and level 20.

I do set my ceiling to level 120 and thermal ceiling to 55C

Here is a data dump, I just checked a bakers dozen of different levels for you, on my Red TS10 4000K, w the battery at about 3.8V:
LevelLumens
1​
0.02​
2​
0.04​
3​
0.09​
4​
0.13​
5​
0.14​
6​