Hexbright Open source flashlight

hexbright

Newly Enlightened
We can guarantee PWM rates as high as 2kHz or more. The microcontroller is running at 8mHz so achieving rates of 10kHz should be possible as well. The higher the PWM frequency the higher the switching losses however.

Terry Cooke
Mechanical and Electrical Engineer
@Hexbright

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the liteflux lights were 8khz, that was obviously undetectable. But I would think 2khz would be just as unnoticed with less of an inefficiency. While we have you here... Any chance these will be forward clickies?

hexbright

Newly Enlightened
Cataract: Feel free to quote me.. Its a well know fact that when a gate is in its transition region (switching from off to on) it causes more heat to be produced. More heat means more wasted energy!

Thujone: What do you mean by forward clickies?

Terry
@hexbright

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you mean by forward clickies?
forward clicky
a switch that turns on the light with the button partially depressed and then locks into on once it is fully depressed and clicked. This allows "momentary on" by halfway depressing the switch. A forward clicky is not as good in switching modes. Compare with reverse clicky.
From CPF wiki. http://www.cpfwiki.com/Wiki/index.php/Terminology

I don't agree with the switching modes bit, I think that is personal preference.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally think that for a completely reprogrammable light like this promises to be, an electronic switch would be the best use, that way people can potentially reprogram the actions of the button itself to have completely different behaviors such as for double clicks, press and holds, etc...

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally think that for a completely reprogrammable light like this promises to be, an electronic switch would be the best use, that way people can potentially reprogram the actions of the button itself to have completely different behaviors such as for double clicks, press and holds, etc...
I agree 100%... but doesn't that add significant complexity and expense, and potential issues such as parasitic drain?

jedirock

Newly Enlightened
While we have you here... Any chance these will be forward clickies?

From the videos posted on Kickstarter, it looks and sounds like they're currently using reverse clickies. Not sure if it'd be easily swappable with a forward clicky if you want one.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree 100%... but doesn't that add significant complexity and expense, and potential issues such as parasitic drain?
I don't know about the complexity or expense, not being in the know of such things, but there would be some parasitic drain, yes. I have seen lights though that have such a low rate of drain that it rivals the self discharge rate of the cell itself left to its own devices. It's all down to the quality of the design it appears.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cataract: Feel free to quote me.. Its a well know fact that when a gate is in its transition region (switching from off to on) it causes more heat to be produced. More heat means more wasted energy!
[...]

Thanks. I knew that from studying electronics, but never even thought about it when it came to flashlights.

I agree with the electronic switch idea, so long as parasitic drain is not significant. A programmable flashlight should be as programmable as possible.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah! Electronic switch, then emulate the Liteflux code. Now you are talking.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: CPFM was acting funny didnt see my post, deleting dupe.

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) i've always wanted usb charging capability. even better if cradle charged

2) implement zebralight-style UI i.e. direct or almost direct access to low med or hi, from off

3) but sometimes memory is a good thing, so make that an available option as well

4) add advanced overdischarge protection. zebralights just shut off when it hits 2.7V which could be dangerous if used as a bike headlight. i want the light to have the option to automatically ramp down to lower levels as it hits certain voltages. or to blink or signal when it hits those voltages

5) i want a battery gauge so i know how much juice left

6) dual electronic switches ala Spark SL6. independently configurable i.e. tailswitch can be configured as momentary

7) sleep timer

8) pocket clip!!! a decent one please

9) stiff switches, i don't want accidental activations

soli

Newly Enlightened
Hexbright, Could you clarify what test are run and by whom, that will "qualify" the lights as "tactical"?

I will be able to run the HexBright Prime and HexBright Flex through a series of tests to qualify them as "tactical" lights. Tactical lights are typically at least 250 lumens and cost over $200.

ckjj

Newly Enlightened
Interesting New LED flashlight with open source programming....

Hi,
This is my first post, but I've been a reader on a off for a while.
While looking for a programmable flashlight (different light levels), I stumbled across this interesting light
"HexBright"
which promises an open source, fully modifiable program.
I thought this would be a great option...imagine
Full power, a medium power of about 100lm, and then a low power moonlight of whatever you want (20 lumens?)....not to mention the flashing mode.
Chris
Malkoff LED Maglight 2-3D
Malkoff LED Maglight 3-6D
Malkoff LED P60 drop ins (4 various)
Elzetta 3cell Crenelated Bezel Malkoff LED

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Interesting New LED flashlight with open source programming....

I'd go for 0.002 lumens low low. Let people pick what suits them... i my case even 0.02 lumens can be too much sometimes (I use it in a dark room)

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi,
This is my first post, but I've been a reader on a off for a while.
While looking for a programmable flashlight (different light levels), I stumbled across this interesting light
"HexBright"
which promises an open source, fully modifiable program.
I thought this would be a great option...imagine
Full power, a medium power of about 100lm, and then a low power moonlight of whatever you want (20 lumens?)....not to mention the flashing mode.
Chris
Malkoff LED Maglight 2-3D
Malkoff LED Maglight 3-6D
Malkoff LED P60 drop ins (4 various)
Elzetta 3cell Crenelated Bezel Malkoff LED
Thats an HDS, but they are not open source and not computer programmable.

Last edited:

xamindar

Newly Enlightened

I wounder if it would be possible to program this to have a "custom" mode. For example it would be three mode (custom,medium,high) where custom is set by holding down the button. While the button is held down the light would start at it's lowest brightness and slowly ramp up the brightness until you let go of the button. Then have it remember that brightness setting as the custom one until you perform this procedure again to set a different setting.

That would be a really cool feature I think.