Hexbright Open source flashlight

Raccoon

Enlightened
Re: Interesting New LED flashlight with open source programming....

xaminder: that would be possible.

Greta

Flashaholic

I am NOT going to have this thread and discussion closed down because ONE person cannot seem to 'get it'. Everyone else in this thread has 'gotten it' just fine and I have no issues with the progression of this thread. candl2263... push the envelope one more time and not only will your posts be deleted but YOU will be deleted. You have already been given enough warnings.

Thread re-opened.

robzr

Newly Enlightened

Greta, thanks for re-opening this thread. This is the second time this thread has been closed, and the mod who closed it didn't even post a message as to why it was closed. This is bizarre, the only other forum I've ever been on that moderates with such little apparent respect for the users is Apple's, and they are a company who is trying to protect their own products.

I hope this thread can remain open, the Hexbright light is fascinating and could represent the future of high-end lighting. Many users on this forum are the exact types who would love to play with it and I think we all benefit from a discussion on it. If you guys keep moderating, closing threads and deleting posts, you're just going to drive traffic elsewhere.

Rob

Greta

Flashaholic

Rob... explainations have been given and those who they are aimed at have gotten them. There is no reason for them to remain and clutter up the thread once it is re-opened. As with much of the moderation on CPF there is a lot more to the story than needs to be made public or muck up otherwise productive threads so please do not assume.

xamindar

Newly Enlightened

I'm having a hard time figuring out why this thread keeps getting closed as well. As far as I can tell, it gets closed every time someone posts in here that they support/paid for this flashlight.

robzr

Newly Enlightened

Thats fine, but no explanation was given to everyone else who is following the thread, all we saw was that a user posted something, it was deleted and the thread was closed. Thats fine that the one individual received an explanation, but nobody else did, yet we are all the ones who are investing time and thought into the thread, so we were affected. Just something to consider for future moderation activities I guess.

regards,

Rob

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is CPF, the threads are for discussion about flashlights, posting about how threads are moderated and other things against the rules will get threads closed (search CPF rules). I have made some pretty stupid posts (and still do occasionally), I have been fortunate enough to get warned and learn my lesson. I think we should do the same thing here and just discuss the light....
Has any UI been announced for this light yet.... I understand it is open source but what will the default UI be?

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't heard anything about a default UI yet either. I still am hoping that they will go with an electronic switch to allow for more programability. A good starter UI could be just a simple LMH or HML.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

The light should come with a cd (or internet link) with some programs ready to be loaded into the light, so people who don't know how to make a program can explore the possibilities right away. Obviously, one of these programs should be a fun but otherwise totally useless random disco super flashy -just to show what the light can do- that people will never use again once they find a suitable setup.

Raccoon

Enlightened

I haven't heard anything about a default UI yet either. I still am hoping that they will go with an electronic switch to allow for more programability. A good starter UI could be just a simple LMH or HML.

According to the kickstart comments page, Christian initially commented that it will be a simple on-off reverse clicky switch. More recently, however, he has been stating the use of a "pilot button" that "does not actually interupt power flow like a traditional clicky. So you can set up your modes and switch between modes by pressing this momentary button. Or hold the button down for a predetermined amount of seconds."

"The bad thing about this is that I am constantly draining the power. Very slightly because we are using a watchdog monitor, so it is a very, very small drain. The great upside is you really have a good input (the switch) that you can play around with. Maybe if you click it super fast ten times you program it do go into a disco strobe mode. Maybe you design a game around it (like the old Simon game). I don't know. The point is, since the microprocessor always has jsut enough power to watch the switch you can do things with the light." ~ Christian Carlberg on Saturday Jun 18, 3:52am EDT (direct correspondence)

The light should come with a cd (or internet link) with some programs ready to be loaded into the light, so people who don't know how to make a program can explore the possibilities right away. Obviously, one of these programs should be a fun but otherwise totally useless random disco super flashy -just to show what the light can do- that people will never use again once they find a suitable setup.

I am hoping he takes me up on my offer to make exactly that. I already have several modes layed out in my head and in pseudo code, but I'm waiting on actual programming constructs from him.

Raccoon

Enlightened

There is new information on the development of the Hexbright. The developers posted a mock up video of the cad design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d269qd64jI

Here are some still images of the components.

The exact design is still subject to change, but this is pretty much what we should expect in the Hexbright.

Still 10 days left to pre-order.

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm. Looks interesting, Not sure if I like the battery carrier when it's only one cell, but who knows. It might work.

netprince

Enlightened

I signed up for a flex. I have done software devel in the past, this will be an interesting collision of interests...

NWLumenoob

Newly Enlightened

It sounds like there won't be a built-in pocket clip, but it will have lanyard holes in the tail. I haven't picked a color yet for my Flex. I'm thinking red, unless he offers the clear anodizing people keep asking for, but I don't know if that's planned or not.

Raccoon

Enlightened

"Naked" finish just announced. I'm not sure if it will be a clear anodizing or non-anodized, but perhaps both options will be available judging by popularity.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hexbright Flex

I know there are already are (have been?) some threads about Hexbright, but they are pretty wild and have been closing and opening for various reasons, so I'd like to start a clean one with a clear purpose. Without discussing the marketing of the light, I'll just say that for the next few days we have the opportunity to preorder it for a discount off of retail, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to make an informed decision about the light.

I want to talk about the merits of the light based on what we know about it (or what we don't know and could ask the designer about).

For example: It uses an XM-L and has a high of 500 lumens, so what would the runtime on high be like, and how long might we safely run it at that level? Or, what might be some advantages/disadvantages of it being programmable and rechargeable by it's micro usb hidden in the tailcap? What might be some useful ways to program the light (based on our understanding of the ways that it will be able to be programmed)?

I do not want to talk about features we might like a light like this to have (I want it to have an RGB mode so I can take it to a rave! I want it to have 16gb of memory so I can use it as a flash drive! I want it to morph into an autobot!). This should help keep the thread on track about the Hexbright Flex as it is available to us.

I also do not want to talk about the marketing of the light. This should help keep the thread from getting closed.

Here are the specs we have:

Hexbright Flex
Length: 5.25 in
Bezel Diameter: 1.125 in
Weight: 4.75 ounces
Max Output: 500 lumens
Amps at Max: 1.6 amp
Default Modes: h/m/l/flash
Battery: 1x18650 li-ion
USB Programmable
USB Rechargeable
(taken from http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/527051507/hexbright-an-open-source-light)

Also from various parts of that site:
-it will be waterproof
-black, red, green, and blue anodizing available
-most likely programmable using an interface included or using C++, with backup default program in case you mess something up
-programmable by Mac, PC, or Linux
-lanyard hole
-60 minutes estimated at 500 lumens
-XM-L T6 1C, 6500K
-picture looks like it can tailstand?

If anyone has any other information about the light that you have found on that site or another, or from contact with the designers, feel free to add it here!

So, what do you guys think of this light? How might it compare to similar lights?

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hexbright Flex

I'm guessing that this will be quite an interesting little light once it hits the market. If the price stays decent and the features pan out, I can see it becoming one very popular light. The overall size however is a little offputting to me. an 18650 in a carrier and a very beefy body make for a fairly large light. Here's hoping for a quality holster.

Greta

Flashaholic

Threads merged. There really is no valid reason to have two seperate threads.

Raccoon

Enlightened

It sounds like you answered your own question about runtime. About an hour at ~1.6 Amp brightness (Cree states 500 lm).

May be possible to ramp it higher with programming or modifying the circuit, as Cree states it can handle 3.0 Amp (1000 lm) but that's likely only possible with active cooling. At 500 lm, the aluminum bulk of the light should be sufficient to draw heat away without need for a cool-off period. In any case, the developer states that a temperature sensor will also act as a safeguard against overheating.

I re-posted design schema earlier on this thread; they are the most current design of the light, posted 5 days ago.

In addition to black, red, green, blue anodizing, the developer also announced a "native" option. This may be a clear anodizing or no anodizing, or perhaps either option.

The stated retail price will be $115 for the Hexbright Flex. Obviously that isn't carved in stone.

You now know as much as anybody else knows until we actually see prototypes and beam shots and the software.

If you want to chat more casually about this, visit #hexbright on irc.freenode.net

Raccoon

Enlightened

The overall size however is a little offputting to me. an 18650 in a carrier and a very beefy body make for a fairly large light. Here's hoping for a quality holster.

The Hexbright Flex has a suggested length of 5.25", this is before final designs and milling took place.

In contrast, the Nitecore IFE2 is 5.00", only a quarter inch shorter. About |...| much. :)