Hexbright Open source flashlight

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's unfortunate this project did not come through... it was a great idea.

Actually, the project is currently coming through. I won't post a link because I'm not sure it's safe, but a resourceful CPFer can, with or without Google, find the hexbright website without too much trouble, and thus see the current project status.

I've been sort of keeping up with it, and I guess the most recent news is that they have the circuit boards and are beginning putting them together. Last I saw, they had chosen a reflector (instead of a lens) and I really like the beam profile they showed on the update video, should be an good balance of spot and spill. Also, I think they made the decision to go ahead and include an accelerometer already installed in the light (a lot of people talked about adding their own). For those that may not know, that's the piece in an iPod or smart phone that senses when the device is tilted. That should be a great addition and add a lot of potential function to this light.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could never understand why this was described as an OPEN SOURCE Flashlight.

LED - no options, commercial device
Optics - no options, one manufacturer
Housing - no options, one manufacturer
Switch - no options, one manufacturer
Driver - no options, one manufacturer, not available as separate item.
Driver software - customisable by user, but only those comfortable programming in C.

"Open source" doesn't necessarily mean that there are other options, only that it is made possible for other options to be added. To be truly open source, Hexbright will have to make the schematics and programming public, and make no attempt for people to produce any add-ons/modifications they want. For example, while they may not offer different optics options, they can leave the optics unglued so it is possible for another manufacturer (or an individual) to make a different option for the optics. While they offer no other switches, they can publicize the design for the switch so someone can easily modify it or make something similar but better/different.

To compare, Linux is an open source operating system. They can call themselves open source because the "source" is "open", anyone can look at the code and is free to modify it however they like. They are not responsible for making sure that people do modify it so that other options are available, but only for making it possible.

We'll truly see if this light is "open source" after they have the product completed. Then, if they release all the schematics and programming code (and preferably don't glue everything together), it is open source. If not, it is not open source. If they open source it, then it will be up to other manufacturers or modders to do with it what they will.

Does that make sense?

MikeAusC

Enlightened
"Open source" doesn't necessarily mean that there are other options, only that it is made possible for other options to be added. . . . .

Then ANY light which isn't welded shut is "open-source" as verified by cpf actions here.

In that case the Hexlight is no different to 99% of lights out there, so I consider promoting the Hexlight having open-source as a major differentiating feature is misleading advertising

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, there are other lights that allow themselves to be modded. I think that what will set the Hexbright apart is that they are making the schematics and program code available.

Hexbright update #26 said:
...We plan to release sample code and a full circuit diagram upon the completion of Revision V0.3....

I agree that making the programming open source won't be a huge help to people who aren't comfortable with computer programming, but for those of us that, are, it will be a lot of fun. You can judge for yourself if open source schematics and programming are exciting to you. Even if that's not exciting for you, I don't think that many other companies are doing that, so I would hesitate to accuse Hexbright of misleading people.

Last edited:

MikeAusC

Enlightened
It would have cost no more to build this light using a chip running PICAXE - then the number pf people who could program it in BASIC would have increased a thousand-fold.

The modern PICAXE chips are fast enough and capable enough that they could do evrything needed in a light - PWM, Battery voltage sensing, temperature sensing etc.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever method they end up using, I am really looking forward to having an excuse to learn how to program circuitry. If it hits soon and I can figure it out, maybe I'll use it as an excuse to pick up an Arduino and learn even more.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would have cost no more to build this light using a chip running PICAXE - then the number pf people who could program it in BASIC would have increased a thousand-fold.

The modern PICAXE chips are fast enough and capable enough that they could do evrything needed in a light - PWM, Battery voltage sensing, temperature sensing etc.

I'll have to learn the language either way, so it makes no difference to me :D.

But seriously, if you believe that would make the light more attractive to more people, I'm sure the developers would be open to your idea (for future lights, this one is probably too far along for a change like that to happen now).

If you're not a backer, I don't think you can comment on their kickstarter page, but I'm sure you could find an email address to send a suggestion to. They've been very responsive to suggestions, and the accelerometer is included on this model because a ton of people said they wanted one in there.

surfsmurf

Newly Enlightened
"open source" and "moddable" is not the same thing and should not be confused. Open source means that all source code/schematics/plans are released with an appropriate licence allowing others to create their own, nothing more and nothing less.

Then ANY light which isn't welded shut is "open-source" as verified by cpf actions here.

In that case the Hexlight is no different to 99% of lights out there, so I consider promoting the Hexlight having open-source as a major differentiating feature is misleading advertising

surfsmurf

Newly Enlightened
Lady Ada has a nice comparison here: http://www.ladyada.net/library/picvsavr.html

Personally I much prefer AVR chips due to the GCC support which allows me to compile code on all platforms, including Mac.

Azlum

Newly Enlightened
Have you guys seen this light? (Hexbright)

My first post here!

I stumbled upon this Hexbright light about a week ago, which got me interested in lights, led me to this website(via google for "cree xm-l") and you jerks already cost me a bunch of money! LOL. I have already received a ZL SC600 and I have an ET M3C4 single XM-L coming tomorrow :devil:

Anyway, I was curious if anyone had seen the light:

http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Hexbright-LED-Flashlight/IF145-137

It looks/sounds like it will be pretty cool IMO.

Thoughts?

EDITED: Whoops didn't see the thread. Thanks for moving it!

Post Merged into the existing Hexbright Thread - Norm

Last edited:
I'm excited about this! It sounds like it's getting a couple new features that I didn't know about when I signed up. The tailcap LED sounds like it will be fun to play with, as well as the accelerometer. One could use this as an alarm of sorts, perhaps setting off a strobe if it's disturbed.

Also, I don't know if Christian is still monitoring this thread, but I'm interested in what the temperature sensor will be capable of. For instance, is it a feature built in to the driver, or is it tied to the uC like everything else? Could it be used to activate the light when the ambient temperature hits a pre-set threshold?

Have you given any thought to adding wireless capability (or even a header so it can be added by the user), i.e. for copying a program from one light to another, synchronising a strobe pattern between lights, or controlling multiple lights from one?

One other thing I'd like to see is a clear/natural anodizing option. Sorry, my brain is vomiting ideas...

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electromage, are you a backer for the light (did you pledge money at the beginning)? If you are, you can get on the k*ckstarter website and post the questions there, and they've been good at answering peoples' questions posted there. If you're not a backer, PM me and I can post the questions for you.

Also, I could be wrong now, but last I checked they will be offering the light with a clear annodizing option, so you can get a silver-colored one.

I too am pretty excited about the accelerometer, that should be a blast to program and play with.

tensleep

Newly Enlightened
I just read about this flashlight - one of my coworkers wants a decent small flashlight for Christmas, so in the process of researching my options, I came across this flashlight and then this forum. I hope that I can get in on the initial production run for myself. I suppose I will order something else for my coworker.

Great Forum!

As an industrial electrican/maintenance supervisor, I really appreciate the design work and testing that is going into this light - the geek factor is over the top.

I just read about this flashlight - one of my coworkers wants a decent small flashlight for Christmas, so in the process of researching my options, I came across this flashlight and then this forum. I hope that I can get in on the initial production run for myself. I suppose I will order something else for my coworker.

Great Forum!

As an industrial electrican/maintenance supervisor, I really appreciate the design work and testing that is going into this light - the geek factor is over the top.

I'm pretty sure there's no way we'll have these by Christmas. There are tons of decent small lights though, just keep reading!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Interesting New LED flashlight with open source programming....

egrep: I still have goose bumps over those videos...

Anyone on here got a Hexbright yet? I'd like to hear some CPF feedback... whenever possible... sometime in the future... I can't even fathom the idea that not a single CPFer has an Hexbright yet...

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone on here got a Hexbright yet? I'd like to hear some CPF feedback... whenever possible... sometime in the future... I can't even fathom the idea that not a single CPFer has an Hexbright yet...
I'd bet my membership and a million dollars no one has a Hexbright yet unless the creator is on this forum. :/

you can't rush art!

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nope, they aren't done being developed yet. I'll be doing a review as soon as I get mine :thumbsup:.

Helmut.G

Enlightened

Nope, they aren't done being developed yet. I'll be doing a review as soon as I get mine :thumbsup:.
Looking forward to that!
If they really make them completely programmable with my own code, I'll most definitely get one unless the quality is extremely bad.

Latest posts