higher discharge 18650 cells

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everybody recently I have noticed some slightly more expensive 'higher discharge' 18650 cells. it seems that the x star, Ufire cells ive been using for years are rated about 5 Amps. I am thinking about getting higher discharge rate cells ranging from 10A to 30. would there be any difference in performance in a Zebralight SC mkIV or other 18650 light?:thinking:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
depends on a light, in some yes, in others no. the only way to know for sure is to try in your light. not sure what x star cells are, but ufire is in vast majority of cases are pretty shitty, even regular none high discharge cell from reputable manufacturer will be better.

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight SC600 Mk IV? If so it's using a XP35 LED so a 10 amp cell should be more than what is needed. Using a higher amp cell than the light needs is a waste because higher amp cells have less capacity. Specs recommend non protected flat top cells but give no info on required amperage. Even if its a SC600 Mk IV Plus a Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10 amp cell should do the job well. Most other 10 amp cells are of less capacity. If capacity is not important to you you could go with some Sony US18650VTC6 3000 mAh 30 amp cells. Not knowing what other lights you have, there is no way to recommend batteries for them. Best bet is to look at the recommendations from the light manufacture or the battery that ships in the light. Almost any 18650 light can be powered by a 10 amp cell or cells. You need to know if the light requires protected or unprotected, flat top or button top cells. Always buy batteries from a reputable sellers not off eBay or a guy on the corner. Illumn.com, mtnelectronics.com, liionwholesale.com are my go to shops.