• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

HIVE McG converter used in the Aqua line of lights.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
That is awesome!! How low is the lowest low??

I didn't know it had different banks for user modes. Sweet!

Gonna try to sneak out of here today to get my pen.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am curious about the PWM in the low levels. The frequency is pretty low and I am concerned with some flicker. What do you guys think so far?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I am curious about the PWM in the low levels. The frequency is pretty low and I am concerned with some flicker. What do you guys think so far?

Sean, I am picking up my pen today, so hopefully I will figure out the programming tonight after my kids go to bed. I will post here with what I find. If calflash doesn't beat me to it. :D

calflash

Enlightened
The banks are called presets and it looks like program modes 2,3 and 6-15 can be stored on one of the three presets. The presets are the first mode once in programming. Momentary options, the number of levels, the power of the levels, thermal settings voltage settings and other options can all be customized for each preset.

The lowest low is lower than my haiku 119V. I'd guess it at the 1-2 lumen range??? I am curious to find an easier way to determine the drive level from rush. Brightness level 1 of 21 is "x" percent of max current setting. What's "x"?

As far as pwm, I am not too good at detecting it. I tried last night but couldn't see it very well by sweeping it across the wall. Maybe PSM can answer that a little better.

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried running a protected battery till the Mule switched off and I didn't notice any flicker even when it dropped to the lowest output prior to doing dead.

I have to admit I wasn't specifically looking for it, just wanted to see the step down and warnings.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Jumper has been filled. :D

7E5ACC57-E884-4576-9633-2CE6E631EBA6-1043-000001568BBC43FF_zps23dbc0cf.jpg

Going to try and program later.

calflash

Enlightened
Yep - Caig labs circuit writer precision conductive ink dispenser.

mine looks a little more silver than yours though. Dumb question but did you shake your pen enough? It took a lot of shaking for the ball in my pen to move and mix up the ink. I practiced with the pen a little before touching the converter, made a puddle on a piece of paper, and dabbed the solder gap after dipping the pen tip in the puddle. It looks like a very thin layer of solder/ silver ink.
04475BF1-5E84-44E6-B09D-670887BAAB85-182-0000009F55AFA425_zps2b1a313c.jpg

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long does the circuit writer pen take to dry, and how would one remove it should they decide to retry?

calflash

Enlightened
It dries in "minutes" I think it says on the package. But the directions say:

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. PREPARE SURFACE. Remove loose scale, oil, grease and dirt from surface.
2. SHAKE WELL. Shake for at least 10 seconds. Shaker ball inside will assist mixing of materials. If necessary, clean tip with tissue or other soft cloth to remove dried material.
3. APPLY. Squeeze the pen barrel while pressing the pen tip lightly on surface. Practice on scrap piece before attempting prototype or repairs. If tip gets clogged, remove pen tip (turn clockwise) and clean.

DO NOT APPLY TO HOT SURFACE - TIP WILL MELT. MELTED TIP VOIDS WARRANTY.

4. DRY. Allow approximately 24 hours to dry at room temperature (70oF). Recommend curing 6" away from a 40 watt light bulb for 4 hours. Then let sit overnight.
5. CLEAN UP. Acetone or other suitable solvent.

I tried mine after two hours and have had no problems. Interestingly enough, some reviews on radio shacks web site said it wasn't conductive until they really got it shook up. And then some got a dried up batch and had to return it.

Last edited:

calflash

Enlightened
ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond- I do see a slight flicker on the lowest setting. I have to hold the light and my head very steady and really study the beam or the LED itself in order to see it. If I am moving the beam around, I don't notice it.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
As far as pwm, I am not too good at detecting it. I tried last night but couldn't see it very well by sweeping it across the wall. Maybe PSM can answer that a little better.
The best ways to look for PWM is to wave your outstretched fingers in front of the light, or shine it on some trickling water. If what you're seeing looks like smooth blurring then there's no concern, but if it freezes the drops then PWM rate is too low.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Redid mine. Basically looks just like yours now Calflash. Still no beans. Lol.

A few times (out of at least 75 tries) I saw it triple blink after the sequence but then nothing happened afterwards.

calflash

Enlightened
That's awesome PSM! Let us know how it goes.

I guess I happened to get a good pen. Take warning on the pen everyone else. They evidently don't have good QC or something.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Yeah that pen is going back to RS.

I figured out the programming. Once u get it figured out it is fairly simple.

I have my high at 2200mA, and low at the lowest. The PWM is noticeable, but it's really not that bad. Lowest is pretty low. Probably a hair brighter than 47's moon mode.

On 2200mA it's pretty bright!!! :D

Can't wait for night.

calflash

Enlightened
The best ways to look for PWM is to wave your outstretched fingers in front of the light, or shine it on some trickling water. If what you're seeing looks like smooth blurring then there's no concern, but if it freezes the drops then PWM rate is too low.

Thanks for those suggestions! Both tests show the PWM. That water test is pretty neat. I wish I knew how to photograph it - almost looks like cartoon radar waves.

I'm glad all worked out well for you PSM. It really is a fun light with the programming! This can easily become a go-to light for nearly every task.