How’s your Zebralight SC53 treating you?

MoonlightMode

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, I've got my eye on an SC53Fc, but there's surprisingly little written about it and very few real-life reviews here or on YouTube. I favor the small size for pocket carry vs. the SC5.

Those of you who've got one—especially the Fc version—what's the good and bad? Do you like it? Would you buy it again?

All thoughts welcome. And many thanks.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm wondering the same. I've heard a few complaints about the SC53w tint so I held off. I do want one. Maybe I should go for the SC53Fc.

Just when I think "the SC64 isn't that much bigger, might as well go with the output and runtime", I eventually use my SC52w again and realize that the difference is pretty huge, even though it may not seem that way on paper.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Sorry I can't answer you directly, but I have both the H53Fc and H53c. Based on the listed dimensions, I believe it is even smaller than the SC53, so that might be something to consider for you. Furthermore, I added some magnets on the pocket clip and I really think that it makes for one of the most useful little lights there is: it can be used as a flashlight, headlamp, and magnetic work light. I don't feel the need for the SC53 or SC5. But anyway…

Given that they use the same emitter as the SC53c and SC5c, I think I can help answer your question:

I'm a big fan of the frosted optics, especially for headlamp and indoor use. It produces a very nice beam for close and medium range use. The spill of the F is a lot brighter than the regular spot/spill, and you really don't lose more than one third of the throw. If you are worried that you might lose too much throw, consider getting some DC-Fix diffusion film and sticking it on the SC53c. It produces a slightly more throwy beam compared with the frosted lens, and is probably just as efficient.

In terms of tint, I like both. My H53c with DC-fix, even though the beam is smooth, there is still a tiny bit of tint shift with the hotspot more yellow and corona nice and rosy. My H53Fc has a consistent tint overall, but when I use the light in my house (which has white walls) after being exposed to house LED bulbs (2700 k), the light can look an awful green... BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY: when I'm using either lights as my sole light source, and my eyes have adapted to them(which doesn't take long), the tints on both are a fantastic creamy, almost light golden incandescent color. The beams make colors look amazing – grass, trees, and leaves especially, and the warmth is very pleasant.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if I had to use a straight angle and didn't own my H53Fc and H53c for my EDC I would personally get the SC53c and put on some DC-fix for minimum size. Since I have my H53Fc and H53c, I'm currently more attracted to the SC5c II for the extra output, and would probably put on some DC-Fix to make it and SC5Fc II.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC53 never really caught my attention. First, I already have two SC52's, so the only thing that interests me in the SC53 is the new UI. Second, I don't like that Zebralight took out 14500 support for the SC53. I can use a 14500 in my SC52, which gives it 500 lumens. It's a noticeable improvement over an Eneloop, and it allows the H1 mode to be flatly regulated which it's not on the SC52. I'm not sure if they fixed the H1 regulation on the SC53; hopefully they did.

Also, don't sell short the SC5 if you want a bright 1xAA light. I've had mine for 2.5 years, and it's still my most impressive 1xAA by far. I'm not sure that anyone else competes against it. (Then again, not many companies can compete against the 5-year old SC52 either.) It's downside is that it's not as pocket friendly as the SC52/53, but it's still pretty small especially if you're used to non-Zebralight flashlights.

That said, if I didn't already have a 1xAA Zebralight, I'd probably get the SC53. The new user interface is probably worth giving up the 14500 support. Though I'm still unsure why they did that. I really hope they got proper regulation on a AA, for giving up the 14500.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Unfortunately, my H53c's (and from other graphs I've seen around here) step down pretty quickly from their max output. I really wish they supported 14500's too, even though I don't have any of those cells, I would have certainly bought some. The extra output and reduced weight is nice.

Fortunately I scored a bunch of cheap lithium primaries for winter and lightweight backpacking.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an SC53c. It is my most used light. I carry it on a neck lanyard. It is small enough to hold in my mouth comfortably while working on something. Having the light next to the bed with the low slow beacon is what I like best about this light over my SC52. I prefer the non frosted lens version for this light because it doesn't have much top end output and with a frosted lens the beam wont shine far. The SC53 still has a good area of illumination without a frosted lens because the reflector is small.
I would say if you are thinking of an SC5 just get an SC63. They are close in size and the bigger battery in the SC63 is a plus.
Hurry up and get your SC53 ! Its a great light. Easily sold here if you decide you don't like it later on.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say if you are thinking of an SC5 just get an SC63. They are close in size and the bigger battery in the SC63 is a plus.

Yeah, that's probably good advice. Having just bought the SC64w HI, it's actually a bit more pocketable than the SC5w. It's a bit longer, but it's also thinner which is more important for the pocket. And the 18650 battery makes the SC64 a lot more useful.

But the SC5 is still a great choice if you want bright output from a AA. SC53 if small size is the most important factor.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I have a couple of these. The tint does not bother me. One issue: The battery detection is a problem. It will give me two blinks on what is a full Eneloop after a couple of weeks, and then if I clean the contacts it registers 100% again. This is pretty consistent on both of them. I have never let it run down but I assume this would translate into it's thinking a battery was empty when it isn't.

It's still a good light to carry when I need something smaller than an HDS, but I'm not sure I consider it 100% reliable.

Edit: I have 53c's, btw.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of these. The tint does not bother me. One issue: The battery detection is a problem. It will give me two blinks on what is a full Eneloop after a couple of weeks, and then if I clean the contacts it registers 100% again. This is pretty consistent on both of them. I have never let it run down but I assume this would translate into it's thinking a battery was empty when it isn't.

I find the battery indicator is worthless on all my AA Zebralights. All I can know for sure is that if it gives 4 blinks, the battery is full. But 1-3 blinks could mean anything. Maybe they calibrate it for alkalines???

For Eneloops, I keep them fully charged anyway, since there's very little harm to the battery when doing that (unlike lithium-ion). So, the useless battery indicator for AA's doesn't really bother me. I almost never use it.

BTW, the lights all work extremely well and are very reliable. They run the battery down to about 0.9v before dying. It's just the indicator that is useless.

ven

Flashaholic
I have the sc53w and its in my winter coat as one of my EDC's. Not a house light for me, the xp-l2 4500k is better outside for my eyes. Had the sc5c xp-l2 4000k hi cri(apparently) which was too yellow for me. The w's 4500k is still yellow/smoke stain but easier on my eyes. Its sure tiny, dont know its in my coat. Its more there as i have some loop pros to use up than anything,. The sc63/64 imo makes much more sense for a ZL (of course unless only AA cells are to be used) with an 18650 tank and still very compact. But i am bias, not much of an AA fan tbh, loops or not...................
asNMf1xl.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
I find the battery indicator is worthless on all my AA Zebralights. All I can know for sure is that if it gives 4 blinks, the battery is full. But 1-3 blinks could mean anything. Maybe they calibrate it for alkalines???

For Eneloops, I keep them fully charged anyway, since there's very little harm to the battery when doing that (unlike lithium-ion). So, the useless battery indicator for AA's doesn't really bother me. I almost never use it.

BTW, the lights all work extremely well and are very reliable. They run the battery down to about 0.9v before dying. It's just the indicator that is useless.

Yea, 2 blinks...loosen/tighten the cap...back to 4 blinks. Maybe 3. I would like an actual voltage readout like many Nitecores or my Emisar D4S (4 blinks then 1 blink = 4.1v).

But i am bias, not much of an AA fan tbh, loops or not...................

Outside of topping off my TV remote Eneloops once or twice a year, I haven't touched my Eneloops in years!

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on bringing back support for the 14500 Li-ion batteries. I did not buy the SC53w or the H53w since they do not support the 14500. I love my SC52w & H52w and wished I'd bought a couple of more of each. Never would I have guessed they'd give the 14500 the boot, and when I found out, I was too late. When I travel, I carry a tiny Li-ion charger (XTAR ANT-MC1 Plus) which is a LOT smaller than my smallest charger that charges both Li-ion and Eneloops. Also, I'd rather my headlight & handheld use the same battery, plus Li-ion charges faster than Ni-mh batteries, plus my solar charger charges Li-ion faster as well, plus the SC52w gets 500 lumens on a 14500 (which I use in short bursts just to see ahead,) plus the 14500 battery is lighter than a Ni-mh battery (which means it bounces less on my head when used in an H52w), plus a 14500 doesn't lose it's charge as fast as a Ni-mh batter does when just sitting. I have 14500's that I haven't touched in a long time that are still fully charged, but I can't say that about any of my eneloops, especially the eneloop pro's which lose their charge much faster when just sitting. When using eneloops in the past, I always felt the need to top them off before a trip, which is more babysitting than I care to do. I have stored all of my Li-ion bats fully charged & ready to use (not buying into keeping them at 60% all the time) and have only recently thrown away my first Li-ion bats. Earlier this year I discarded an AW 17650 and 2 AW 14500's that were all bought around 2008. All this talk of how we all treat our Li-ion bats has some truth to it, BUT is way over-blown. Here's to hoping that ZL brings back support for the 14500 again!!

ven

Flashaholic
Here a simple pic to show why i prefer the 63/64 models over the 53's

For me and my type of uses, the size difference is hardly anything with much more benefits.

markr6

Flashaholic
Too bad that SC53 head couldn't be the same width as the body. I know it's not much, but...it is.

p.s. they didn't go out of their way to label your SC53 nice and white! But in a way, maybe that's better.

ven

Flashaholic
I find it a variable Mark, as with the ano as well. Some darker than others..............Still i like them all, i do like the different shades of green though.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad that SC53 head couldn't be the same width as the body. I know it's not much, but...it is.

I think if they shrunk the head any more, they'd have to use a smaller emitter (like an XP-G2/G3), or the throw would be really bad. Less efficient with a smaller emitter, though. Of course, with the frosted versions it wouldn't matter.

IMO, I like the current size of the SC52/53. But I hear ya, and perhaps they could make a SC43 with a head the same diameter as the body.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh. Wrote a while reply that deleted for some reason. Anyway, these current AA Zebras are really great lights. If you like AA fuel, especially Eneloops, and like the size, then you really should try one. Totally programmable, very efficient, and durable little chunks of aluminum. My only small gripe was tint and or tint shift but in the grand scheme it wasn't a huge deal. To have that range of output from crazy low to plenty bright st whatever type of click you want is great. Easily the most usable light I've had to date. Alas, I keep selling them off. Why? I'm a bit odd I guess because the light is awesome. It I get antsy and want to mess with other stuff so something has got to go. Anyway they're awesome. Definitely give one a shot at least.

MoonlightMode

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a million for all the thoughtful responses, everyone. It's made me think perhaps I should go with the SC5ii. Tyranny of choice.

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
I have the SC5c MKII and carry it much more often than my SC64. The size difference is, to me, pretty significant in my pocket and I don't really need the greater output or runtime of the 64 for 99% of my EDC needs.
I work in an office and use it daily, so I don't need the output and battery life of the 64 very often. And when I anticipate that need, I carry the 64.

Thanks a million for all the thoughtful responses, everyone. It's made me think perhaps I should go with the SC5ii. Tyranny of choice.