How do you protect your flashlight inventory

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys this topic is In regards to all severe weather / tornadoes that we have seen tonight in last few hours . How you you protect your flashlights collection incase tornadoes, fire etc ? I keep the small collection I have I small hard case that's water proof .

Poppy

Flashaholic
I sometimes try to think of a question that hasn't been asked before, just to start a new topic. This is a new one. :)

I keep mine in my house. If weather comes into my house, I have bigger problems than worrying about my flashlights. I also keep some in my car, and my backyard shed; the same holds true for those, that are in those locations.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I don't keep them safe any more than I do my other possessions. They just hang around my bedroom on top of a cabinet.

I love my lights but they're ultimately toys and tools, not jewelry.

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also wondered about the insurance question. I don't really have enough invested in lights for it to be worth it myself.

But it looks like some people on the forum have upwards of $10k - $20k worth of flashlights (lots of customs, high-end / rare Surefires, etc)

Certainly for anyone whose collection is approaching the $10k level or more, I would think that adding them to a home insurance policy would be wise. Same as you'd do for lots of jewelry, high-end watches, or any other expensive collection of items at home.

As for myself, I just put my favorites out of sight, so at least they're not sitting out in the open for the taking if somebody does a smash-and-grab. If a home gets a thorough ransacking though, even a safe won't necessarily be.... well, safe.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You don't need to insure your lights per sae. Just keep an inventory with cost when purchased and if need be the home owners insurance will cover them.
We had a garage burn down one year and the insurance covered my sneakers, bicycles, various GI Joe toys and such.

Anything object-wise I care for a great deal goes into a fire proof safe. My wife complained when I stuck her in the safe. So only inanimate objects go in there.
To date only a couple of flashlights are in it.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just remember a while back some fine print clauses on insurance that won't cover "collections" type stuff along with general household losses. I assume they mean that if the house burns down and you hit the insurance company with a list for $30k worth of Rolex watches, they won't pay up. Anyway, if I had that much money in something, I wouldn't want to assume that it was covered by the generic policy.

My entire flashlight pile might add up to about $1000, so I'm not gonna worry about the hassle of insurance for that. The lights are all way out of production by now so it's not like they can really be replaced anyway. (well, except for maybe the Lumintop AAA...)

LOL on the wife-in-the-safe idea! Nice try!

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep some of my more 'versatile' lights (Malkoff, Surefire) in Apache brand '1800' hard plastic cases that are reasonably priced at Harbor Freight. They would be easy to grab if I needed to take them somewhere. An 'un-inflated' 2-liter pop bottle makes for a slim waterproof container for either 2x18650 spares, or 4xCR123a cells that would be easy to fit in a coat pocket.

fuyume

Enlightened
I don't. One is on my nightstand, one is in my handbag, two are in my camping gear, and one is attached to my bicycle. Apart from the two reserved for camping, the others are always in use, and therefore cannot be "protected". The ones for camping are in my camping gear, which could serve as a "go bag", if evacuation is called for. It probably won't be, since where I live in Northern New England, we are well above sea level and inland, my location is not in danger of flooding in any way, and the area is seismically stable and rarely hit by major storms. The worst things that could possibly happen are some sort of nuclear accident at the decommissioned reactor less than 5 miles away (exceedingly unlikely, as the only thing left on site is the spent fuel), or maybe perhaps a train derailment, as the rails are less than a mile away.

If my house burns down, it will be bright enough that I won't be needing a flashlight, assuming I manage to escape the fire, and if I do escape, my handbag is definitely coming with me.

Any other lights I might own aren't important.

fuyume

Enlightened
I just remember a while back some fine print clauses on insurance that won't cover "collections" type stuff along with general household losses. I assume they mean that if the house burns down and you hit the insurance company with a list for $30k worth of Rolex watches, they won't pay up. Anyway, if I had that much money in something, I wouldn't want to assume that it was covered by the generic policy.

My entire flashlight pile might add up to about $1000, so I'm not gonna worry about the hassle of insurance for that. The lights are all way out of production by now so it's not like they can really be replaced anyway. (well, except for maybe the Lumintop AAA...)

LOL on the wife-in-the-safe idea! Nice try!
You can by rider coverage for collections, but it's a bit of a pain in the ***. I used to have a friend who was a major Disney collector, he had an entire outbuilding for his collection and some of his individual pieces that could easily fetch high five figures, probably more now, if he's still alive.