How lost would you be without your EDC light(s) ?

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably don't use my EDC L2T as much as i thought I would, but let this be said:

You can be damn sure that murphy will make you sorry as hell, the first time you forget to carry it :ohgeez:

highorder

Enlightened
I never carry any of my lights daily. In fact, I can only remember one time that I left the house with a light. I just don't see the need for them when I'm away from the house. Unless I'm camping or going for a walk, they stay at home. I consider my flashlights more as a hobby than as tools I guess.

this guy has got to go! :lolsign:

coontai

Newly Enlightened
was changing my fuel filter under the day and some fuel spilled on my shop light so i turned it off. I stuck my trusty arc AAA-p in my mouth to finish a very dirty job safely.

Traglite

Newly Enlightened
Heres a story for all you EDCers. I was in Hawaii in Sept-Oct when the big earthquake hit on oahu. I had brought my E1L along on vacation, and I had several more lights at home that really wanted to get in my suitcase, but I figured, "ok, this is a trip with the wife, leave my 2 new P1s at home and my other surefires." So long story short...the earthquake hit and power went out on the whole island. Talk about a dark place to be in the world. Get ready for the nightmare...I couldn't find my flashlight. All night my wife and I with our 2 year old child are huddled around a portable DVD clinging to its last ounce of power. I was frantic. Where was my light???!!! I felt like such a failure. So the next day when the stupid sun came out I found my E1L in my bathroom bag, which i had put it in last minute to avoid any hassles at the security check. From now on I travel with at least 3 lights and always have 2+ by the bed, 2+ in the car and at least one on me at all times. Done.

Bryan

Enlightened
highorder said:
this guy has got to go! :lolsign:
95% of the time that I am away from my house, it is during the day. What do I need a flashlight during the day for? It's just extra stuff in my pockets I don't need. I have a light in the car, and plenty around the house. The other 5% of the time I'll carry my E1E or G2.

That's just my situation, perhaps your outlook (or needs) is different. :candle:

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
Bryan,

Everyone's needs are different. Most of the daytime, I don't really need a light. It's nice to have one or more if they are needed. I'll take pocket clutter over being in the dark anytime. I actually found your response refreshing and different from the rest here, even if it is potentially "unenlightened"! :grin2: (I hope the emoticon conveys the humor, I don't mean to attack you)

A few years ago, while working during the day in a department store, thunderstorms rolled in. In the center of the store, we seldom heard the thunder, and could not see outside. I was in the stockroom, on a ladder when the lights went out and there are no windows or skylights. It was pitch black. I had a flashlight (Browning Lightning Bug, ironic name) that is rated at about seven lumens, IIRC. It was like a lighthouse beacon. A couple of other employees in the stockroom "went into the light". It was not a case of the blind leading the blind.

cutlerylover

Banned
I would be sad to say the least...but I do not actually "need" a light for work or anythign so I would be better off than many of you guys...but very sad indeed...

tron3

Banned
TorchMan said:
Bryan,

A few years ago, while working during the day in a department store, thunderstorms rolled in. In the center of the store, we seldom heard the thunder, and could not see outside. I was in the stockroom, on a ladder when the lights went out and there are no windows or skylights. It was pitch black. I had a flashlight (Browning Lightning Bug, ironic name) that is rated at about seven lumens, IIRC. It was like a lighthouse beacon. A couple of other employees in the stockroom "went into the light". It was not a case of the blind leading the blind.

In the east coast blackout of August 2003, my father was in line at a Shop Rite. Well, he ended up leaving without the food as the blackout lasted at least 12 hours. You know how grocery stores are....big windows in the front. It happened about 4:30 so there was plenty of day light.

But what if he was deep inside some shopping center, or mall? What if you are there without a light? Black outs still happen everyday in America. Some small and local, others large and longer term. In short, be prepared - not scared!

WildBill

Newly Enlightened
I can totally related to finding out you are w/o one of your EDC's. I routinely carry my E1E, Sog Twitch II, and 4GB Jump Drive as my EDC's. I have a solitare on my car key chain and a CMG Infinity Ultra on my second keyring that rides in a coat pocket. I do feel naked w/o some kind of light and pocket knife within reach.

On Christmas we were opening presents and my wife borrowed my Twitch II to open some of the gifts and left it on the coffee table. When we got to my inlaws to open gifts several people asked me "can I borrow your knife" knowing that I always carry one...and as I reached into my pocket I realized it was 2 hrs north sitting on the coffee table, probably opened! My brother-in-law loved giving me crap about that the rest of the afternoon...lol... :laughing:

And this morning as I was fumbling in the dark looking thru my sock drawer to find the right colored pair of socks my wife woke up and said "with 82 different flashlights around the house I'm suprised you don't have one dedicated specifically to your sock drawer!"...to which I replied, "wait a sec, there is a Scorpion in the pistol safe!" and I quickly retrieved it...lol...she's right though, I have them spread out all over the house, but it always seems I'm needing one right when I don't have it. ;)

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bryan said:
95% of the time that I am away from my house, it is during the day. What do I need a flashlight during the day for?

I have needed a flashlight on several occasions in the daytime while away from home.

My wife and I were in a large sporting good store during a daytime power failure. The only windows were in the front of the store and the store was pitch black inside once you left the front. Tall shelves blocked any light in the rest of the store where we were shopping.

Another time, I was walking down the street and a neighbor asked me to look inside her tractor because the tiller attachment wasn't working. It was daylight, but there wasn't enough light inside the tiller to see so I used an EDC flashlight to see.

I was trapped in an elevator for 45 minutes on another occasion.

Bryan

Enlightened
I see what you guys are saying about blackouts and the like. I have yet to come across that situation in my life, but that doesn't mean it will never happen! I hate even carrying my keys in my pocket let alone a wallet and cell phone. For that reason mainly, I find it hard to add a flashlight to my EDC. During the evening if I am out, yes I will carry a light.

Like I said earlier, I enjoy my lights as a hobby and "showing off" more than as daily tools. I know I am very different on here because of that, but maybe one day all of you will convince me to EDC a light :).

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said earlier, I enjoy my lights as a hobby and "showing off" more than as daily tools. I know I am very different on here because of that, but maybe one day all of you will convince me to EDC a light

A little AAA unit on a neck lanyard or your keychain is practically invisible...you'd forget it was there...until you needed it.

Try it for a few days, very discreet and unobtrusive, you may like it.
smile.gif

CFU

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having worked in manufacturing for many years I have been caught in a big machine cluttered factory in blackouts numerous times. Few have anything much in the way of emergency lighting, and you can end up in some very dangerous tight cluttered places. Especially when putting in computer cables you get into some tight out of the way places with lots of feet grabbing wiring.

I started carrying a light many years ago, my favorite until recently was a AAA Minimag, it was for its time the perfect pocket size with the pocket clip you could clip to a rear pocket.

I always ended up with a group following me when I walked out.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be totally lost with out my EDC light!! Perish the thought of being with out!!

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's dark under my desk, especially on the back of my computer where everything plugs in.

It gets dark early this time of year, and winter storms often cause power failures. :candle:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I needed one today in a fairly well lit shop as I couldn't see ANYTHING under a PW I was working on.

So out comes my P1. And for the first time since I've had it, the battery was dead! It would come on bright and slowly fade out.

Fortunetly, I had to go to the truck for something and had a spare (actually two!) in the door pocket.

Woulda SUCKED to be in a place unable to get to the truck! Guess I gotta find a way to carry a spare on me. Real Estate on me is kinda tight...