how many people can accept a $100 flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't and wouldn't spend that much for a flashlight. If it was a needed accessory for my profession where my life might depend on it I might...but then I would probably just carry (2) $50 lights instead. I am not rough on my stuff and only use tools for designated purposes, consequently most things I have last a very long time.

That being said, I would gladly accept a $100 flashlight, if it was given to me. :D

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have and use lights that expensive and some considerably more expensive. These are tools. If I drop my Wiha Torx or Craftsman or any other tool, oh well, I buy tools to use and not to look at. I also know that any of my lights that expensive or more are solidly built-if the recoil from my guns don't hurt them, a drop isn't either. I have been in multiple situations where my lights could have been a life or death issue-never was, but if it had been I had no worries. I also have bargain lights. My primary & backup #1 are usually top tier, but lights 3,4 & 5 may be a mix....
If I am doing search & rescue, my Maelstrom S-18($150 used back in the day), it looks a little beat up. My identical backup to that looks pristine only because the primary has never failed so the backup doesn't have a lot of miles on it. I guess it is a matter of personal choice & perspective.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few $100+ lights I used for work where reliability and illumination was paramount. They were an important part of my gear so the cost was acceptable. They also came with good warranties built into the price which made the purchases easier. There is a place for those lights just like there is a place for much cheaper lights. I like my MD2 very much but take a 2AA Mag when the possibility for loss is high.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
It seems the OP has received several good answers.
To me a flashlight is a tool. Tools have many price points and a quality tool may cost more but it normally is better for the job.
Also one wants to use the tool for it's intended job, in this case to light up, the room, area or night.
That's what it's made for.

Lateck,

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typically, the higher price means better quality, but not in every case. Sometimes you just get bells and whistles. I think for someone that needs good reliability they need to go off the prior reputation that a particular light has earned. And there are a few brands that folks on CPF mention as very rugged. I don't own any of them. For me, all of my lights are $100 or less and most less than $50. I have a hard time justifying +$100 for a light. I haven't quite advanced into the hobby like that. Most of my interest is in efficient and functional lights that provide lots of value per their cost.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
My three most expensive lights are my ZL SC-600cw and my modified SupFire M6, which I bought and then probably the most, is my 3Tronics triple XP-L HI V6, LD-2 driven, Convoy S2+ that Ven gave me a year back.

The former was my first lithium-ion powered light and it was the big cheese back then. $95 shipped plus any 18650s I bought for her.

The SupFire M6 was the fully Monty by Mountain Electronics and I didn't really have anything brighter than my SC-600 at the time, or only marginally brighter.

My first beer can, multi-LED light. Option 2 was about $88 IIRC and then I had to buy four high drain cells, so add on 4 Samsung 25R BTs. Maybe ~$116?

Next up would be my older Sunwayman D40A CW at about $70ish, on a good sale.

Chris

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fortunately, I've found I'm pretty comfortable with what I've purchased in the $50 price ballpark for my moderate level of use and modest output expectations. That gets lights that are pretty reliable, have a versatile number of modes, and have reasonably consistent output.

However, if I used my lights more, and especially if I were in more critical situations like depending on the light for my job or doing much night hiking, I would want an upgrade from what I currently have, and that would put me roughly in the $100 market.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've carried the aluminum patina BOSS the last two weeks in industrial sites (Quebec & Wisconsin) and next week in Missouri. The week before I had the Moddoolar out in an industrial site.

I have to admit the body is great and the V5 version of the light engine is fantastic. All V5s below, think I'm going to standardize on these... (yes I know I have a problem)

NWF_9084-L.jpg

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've carried the aluminum patina BOSS the last two weeks in industrial sites (Quebec & Wisconsin) and next week in Missouri. The week before I had the Moddoolar out in an industrial site.

I have to admit the body is great and the V5 version of the light engine is fantastic. All V5s below, think I'm going to standardize on these... (yes I know I have a problem)

NWF_9084-L.jpg

Bro, with a collection like that, your the BOSS! Nice!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the 1 post OP is MIA?

I think we all got trolled!

:lolsign:
Not all of us. I was able to smell it before it got called out by Admin in the Question/Problems sub forum. See my post #7, repeated below. Is that counter-trolled sufficiently, but not too much?

Quote: "how many people can accept a $100 flashlight"
Probably one-quarter of the people who can accept a $50 flashlight. Or four times as many people who can accept a $200 flashlight.

Quote: "I wonder what the people use a $100 flashlight to do?"
Probably fifty percent more of what they use a $50 flashlight to do. Or to do one-quarter of what they use a $200 flashlight to do.

-------------
This topic is about something. What?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, Troll or not, it turned out to be quite a jolly thread. It did seem like stating the Bl**din' obvious on this forum, but I quite enjoyed it.
RIP.
P

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was worth the little troll monster just to have a look at nfetterly's BOSS collection. He doesn't have a BOSS, he's got the whole board of directors! That's more triple triples than Usain Bolt!

glimmer

Newly Enlightened
It was worth the little troll monster just to have a look at nfetterly's BOSS collection. He doesn't have a BOSS, he's got the whole board of directors! That's more triple triples than Usain Bolt!

I think we need to see a picture of those all running at the same time!

:rock:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we need to see a picture of those all running at the same time!

:rock:
That picture would be so overexposed, the flashlights themselves would be lost in the glare, not to mention the blackened ceiling.

It Would be interesting to calculate the retail on that clutch of nfetterly's ; guessing $2500-$3000? Many of us love this interest in illumination, and do not consider the money involved as much of a factor as other hobbies: $80 steak dinners, status watches/cars, flippant romance.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
That picture would be so overexposed, the flashlights themselves would be lost in the glare, not to mention the blackened ceiling.

It Would be interesting to calculate the retail on that clutch of nfetterly's ; guessing $2500-$3000? Many of us love this interest in illumination, and do not consider the money involved as much of a factor as other hobbies: $80 steak dinners, status watches/cars, flippant romance.

I have a friend who once chastised me for my flashlight expenditures. He was quite adamant until I asked him how much he pays per month for his BMW. Then the light came on for him, pun intended.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend who once chastised me for my flashlight expenditures. He was quite adamant until I asked him how much he pays per month for his BMW. Then the light came on for him, pun intended.

I had a friend who used to laugh at my expensive flashlights as well.

Of course I had four flashlights at the time and he had about 15 guns. Each of his guns probably cost more than my whole flashlight collection at the time. When I brought this up he didn't have much more to say.

Actually now that I think about it, he did say something. He said that at least his guns can do something for him. And he did have a point. But I think I probably get much more use out of my flashlights then he gets out of his guns.

This is not a diss on guns because I have them as well. :) Perspective, perspective, perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.