how would you stock up for apocaplyse ?

Databyter

Enlightened
Bullets, Batteries, seeds, and water or a way to get it and filter it.

And about a gazillion cases of Hennesy, Jack Daniels, etc..

saabgoblin

Enlightened
An extra pair of thick reading glasses so I don't end up like Burgess Meredith in the Twighlight Zone episode "Time Enough at Last", oh and I hope that the Library has a fine selection of gentleman's magazines and single malt scotch.

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
Magnum Slugs = No Zombies :devil:

heh. I always thought they were supposed to have skin like papier-mâché?! :rolleyes:

...Kinda like a sack of old leathery parchment draggin' along. I always just figured you used a Louisville Slugger on 'em?!

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, I, I, I, me, me, me.
Fine until somebody comes alone and thinks in terms of "we".
Families andTribes survive, individual don't.

Before you help others stand you have to be on your own feet first. You can't help others survive until you've secured your own survival first.

Having actually lived in an environment where there was no electricity you quickly find out that you never really need a flashlight, they are just nice to have once in a while. You get up when it gets light and you go to bed when it gets dark.

The difference is you could go to bed and not worry. In a apocalypse you have to be able to see in the dark because you aren't guaranteed a safe night knowing you will wake up.

Sorry, this post just stood out from the rest.

ledlurker

Enlightened
On the " Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdog" quote. My upbringing has the quote " Sheep, Wolves and Shepherd" basically the same thing.

the only way to survive a long term disaster is to have good reliable friends where various people have strengths in different skills. that way you do not have to spend the 6 figure income to have every thing for every scenario. Different people have different weaknesses and strengths and can cross train other people. My morning coffee group meets a couple a times a week and we have agreed over the course of a couple of years to come up with a plan. We already grow non hybrid gardens because that is how we were raised as kids. We have several options to evacuate to each others homesteads and double or tripple up if need be. Sadly my house has been listed a least desirable so I would have to abbandon it.

Our basic planning has included not depending on electricity at all but to have the capability to generate a little if needed to recharge batteries or a laptop computer for enertainment.

There is a fictional book on the market that deals with a worldwide finacial collapse on how a group of about 10 people worked together to survive.

The name of the book is "Patriots - Surviving the Finacial Collapse" and it is basically a how to book.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Having actually lived in an environment where there was no electricity you quickly find out that you never really need a flashlight, they are just nice to have once in a while. You get up when it gets light and you go to bed when it gets dark...
...The difference is you could go to bed and not worry. In a apocalypse you have to be able to see in the dark because you aren't guaranteed a safe night knowing you will wake up...
Yes. It's also true that when things start turning to crap on a systemic scale enough changes in your environment that your new routines may become unrecognizable when compared to your old ones. Just one example would be that depending on what climate you live in and the state of your health you may find that doing chores in the daytime in the extreme heat after the power (and thus air conditioning) is off is impossible.

Big changes in our environment are often multiplied by our failure to put the resulting changes in logistics into proper perspective in our plans. One may have to 'work' nights and sleep days for any number of reasons in an emergency. If you haven't planned for it and stocked enough runtime you won't last as long as others will...

Last edited:

Tom_123

Newly Enlightened
Anyway, I'd probably grab a beer
Lol, same here.
I'd stock up good cigars, some very old single malt,
nice food and batteries.
Then I will sit on my balcony and watch the show.:D

Oh, and I'll get me some rounds for my .357, so that it will be still my decision
when and how I will leave.

koti

Enlightened
This thread is hilarious! I gotta show it to my non-flashoholic friends :D
Theres a ready script for a 140 minute B type movie here
crackup.gif

Last edited:

tygger

Enlightened
Lol, same here.
I'd stock up good cigars, some very old single malt,
nice food and batteries.
Then I will sit on my balcony and watch the show.:D

Cigars, scotch, great food, (and good company of course). Now thats what I call an apocalypse! :twothumbs

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might stock up on cigarettes and beer. Neither my wife nor I smoke or drink, but it seems like 99.9% of the rest of the population drinks and at least a third smoke. Powerful barter items.

:buddies:

donn

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I only lurk on this website but I thought I'd chime in as I've just read the self-reliance issue of Popular Mechanics magazine.
I don't think that in western society an apocalypse event would be the absolute mess for the prepared survivors that people here think it would be. The reason has already been pointed out, namely the shortage of clean drinking water. Without it you've got 72 hours (less in a hot climate or with certain medical conditions). I recently read that the biggest killer in the world at present is dehydration and electrolyte imbalance caused by diaorrhea and vomiting. In addition we also know that there is actually very little potable water that exists in the wild. Heres what else we know :
The majority of western populations (especially the urban populations) don't know how to purify contaminated water or have never done it. And if you don't have a filter or don't know how to make one the only other option for the majority of people would be to boil it. But for that you need to know how to start a fire and once all the matches and lighters have gone how many of the general population know how to, or can do that?

The vast majority of the population are actually quite unaware of how dangerous drinking untreated water is. Think of it this way, how many people do you see in public toilets who leave without washing their hands? Significant numbers of people are absolutely clueless as to personal hygiene and how bacteria work.

Western populations have very little immunity to waterborne pathogens. People in general don't anyway but theres a theory that populations exposed to pathogens over a period of time develop a degree of immunity. An example is my Indian sister-in-law who probably had cholera when she was a child but lived through it, with virtually no medical intervention. That's not the case in western society where we've had clean drinking water for several decades.

In an apocalypse event not only will the municipal water supplies cease working but any water that could be considered clean may very well become quickly contaminated by either whatever caused the apocalypse or by dead bodies/vehicles ending up in it or chemical spills from damaged industrial complexes.

There is only so much safe liquids that can be looted from Walmart, service stations, bars and restaurants but that's a finite resource some of which would already of been destroyed during the 'the event'. And I take it that the prepared survivor would avoid having to loot anything from anyone just so they can avoid any civil unrest.

The desperate (and stupid) will do anything…including drinking unsafe water. Thirst creates desperation and if people are REALLY thirsty they will drink untreated water if its in sight without first just taking 10 minutes to boil it.

The vast majority of the population are poorly prepared. The whole image of people invading and looting each others homes I think is mistaken because EVERYONE will be in the same boat. Think of it like this; your thirsty, your hungry, your tired so you go and try and loot your neighbours house for his supplies. Lets say you don't get shot in the process, once your in what do you find? Thats right, empty cupboards and empty toilet cisterns. Why? Because it's the apocalypse, pretty much all survivors are up sht creek.

So when everyone here imagines the aftermath of the apocalypse as being some Mad Max anarchy scenario with hordes of gang-bangers abandoning the cities to rape and pillage their way through the countryside I think not. The majority of the survivors won't get further than a few miles and they won't go out in a blaze of bullet riddled cannibalistic orgies, they'll go out curled up in the remains of some building lying in a pool of their own dysentery/typhoid/C. Diff infected diaorrhea vomiting their own stomach linings up. Or from renal failure after overdosing on some antibiotics they looted. Or from chlorine poisoning cos they vaguely remember watching a programme that said you could purify water by putting bleach in it. However it happens, it'll happen within a week and it doesn't matter if you belong to the biggest gang in the city or have the biggest guns; without the knowledge or means to acquire potable water QUICKLY AND CONSISTENTLY a huge percentage of the survivors won't be looting or raping or killing anything, they'll just get ill, lie down, wither up and die.
As for the flashlights? Well it's the apocalypse isn't it so whats it matter? But if I'm going to make a stab at surviving the wrath of God then either my Energizer headlight or my trusty CMG Infinity I've had for years. Both are bright, reliable, long run time, not many cells and there small so many batteries=lightweight. But I don't think it'll happen, the human race is to big for that now.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there will be a lot of looting. At least at first, when people are still in denial. They will think that, just because they have run out of whatever they have, that guy up the street with the nice car will certainly have more. But, after the major places are looted, they will give up, and try to move out to the countryside. And that is when the real chaos will start. They'll see a farm, any farm, as a means of getting food, whether it's realistic or not, as their chance of survival. Cattle, work animals, pets, everything will go.

But I give people more credit, I think at some point they'll remember that it tends to rain, well, basically everywhere, and that rain is water. Assuming that they try to collect it upon relatively clean tarps, they'll probably last a little bit longer.

So, relatively dim, long output lights, that run on either rechargables (a small solar charger will be worth it's weight in gold) or common primaries, especially akaline, with perhaps a brighter mode, for emergencies, or spotting things further away.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surviving a bout of cholera only provides about one year of immunity for the individual infected and nothing for generations that follow him. Your larger point about populations becoming less susceptible to diseases endemic to their locale is correct with many diseases, however. Yellow Fever is a good example of a disease which a population may develop a degree of immunity from over generations.

I also agree that in the West the masses are clueless about what to do when any of the complex systems that they totally depend on for all of their necessities break down. Managing disasters has changed in modern times. I've seen it at close range.

People are funny.

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
A strongly worded injected rant regarding politically controversy removed. Please keep it lighter. Strong political feelings can be discussed in the Underground.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thing I know several methods of purifying water...since ya'll mentioned it, I guess those in urban areas would look alot like zombies (Pale/blood-shot eye's) once they leave the cities in search of fresh supplies...although they will likely get far...

USACelt

Newly Enlightened
OK, maybe it's been addressed, but has anyone giving any thought to what an E.M.P. burst will do to the circuitry in our regulated lights ? The chargers for all our rechargable batteries will be fried. Possibly the protective circuits in batteries. We may be left with only direct drive incandescents. Just my 2 cents.:shrug:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
We may be left with only direct drive incandescents. Just my 2 cents.:shrug:
You won't even be left with those. The bad news is EMP from a nuclear blast fries pretty much anything electrically connected to the grid, including incandescents. The good news is you can store things in a metal safe or cabinet for protection from EMP. Anything with a metal case not connected to the grid will probably come out OK also, as well as stuff deep underground (i.e. in sub-basements or lower). My guess is lots of electronics will survive an EMP.