I HATE DURRACELL!!

BlueBoom

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3D maglite and when I tryed to use it, it didn't turn on so I try to take the batteries out buy they don't come out, so I get a small torch and look and there and my DURACELL batteries have leaked!

This has NEVER EVER happened with my ENERGIZER but duracell seem to leak ALOT, but ENERGIZER dont! :(

Now all thanks to crappy duracell batteries my 3D maglite is broken! :mecry:

Empath

Flashaholic
If you send it to Mag-Lite, they'll take care of it. They and Duracell have an agreement.

154CM

Newly Enlightened
This is more common than you think. How long have the batteries been in the light?

I have a 15 year old 3D cell maglite that has had many batteries leak in it over the years.

Lesson learned? Dont leave the light in my vehicle for a year before changing the batteries.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duracell,Energizer,and Rayovac ALL leak. From my experience Energizer is the ones that I had the most trouble with leaking. I don't worry about it any more. All of my batteries are rechargeable that are routinely cycled.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I have a 3D maglite and when I tryed to use it, it didn't turn on so I try to take the batteries out buy they don't come out, so I get a small torch and look and there and my DURACELL batteries have leaked!

This has NEVER EVER happened with my ENERGIZER but duracell seem to leak ALOT, but ENERGIZER dont! :(

This identical problem happened to me, in my lovely BLUE 2-D cell Maglite.

However, mine had Energizer alkalines,

installed less than a year prior.

(and very, very fresh-dated, to boot)

Stored in my bedroom, too. Not my car's glove-box.

Had ta' resort to a Pair of Pipe-Wrenches

in order to unscrew the tail-cap ! :hairpull::banghead::rant::mad:

Never saw such a MESS inside ! :shakehead

Saved the head assembly,

and just threw the rest away, in Total Disgust ! :barf:

So, you see, it doesn't only happen with Duracells . . . .

:sigh:

_

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bunny wiped out a m@g 4D, streamlight pro poly Lux 4AA, and a harmony remote all within the same time frame, needless to say the bunny has since been boycotted in my household.:banned:

BlueBoom

Newly Enlightened
Strange some people say there energizers leak :confused:?

But mine have NEVER leaked, but my duracell do it quite a bit! :scowl:

Ship it maglite?

It would proberly be like about half it's worth then I'd have to wait for them too... when I could just buy another one. :shakehead

Stupid duracell's. :scowl:

I wish primary batteries didn't have rubber seals but had metal ones...:tired:

JamisonM

Enlightened

Ship it maglite?

It would proberly be like about half it's worth then I'd have to wait for them too... when I could just buy another one. :shakehead

Stupid duracell's. :scowl:

Yep, shipping's probably going to be a pain. You can always knock the switch and batteries out with a piece of pipe or dowl. You'll most likely have to buy a new switch, but after a little cleaning, at least the light will still be usable.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
All alkaline brands will leak, while individual experiences vary (I've had good luck with rayovac myself) I'm willing to bet all the brand name batteries have a similar failure rate.

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is an excellent idea, a self contained closer circuit, I believe the seals are actually a harder plastic and they are the only thing keeping the cells together without creating a close circuit.

Illum

Flashaholic
The bunny wiped out a m@g 4D, streamlight pro poly Lux 4AA, and a harmony remote all within the same time frame, needless to say the bunny has since been boycotted in my household.:banned:
Hmm, bad bunnies...how odd :thinking:

Well gee... why are my Duracells so dependable while an occaisional Energizer or RayoVac will well up some foam or leak?:confused:

RayoVac Ds will rust, but they almost never leak. In the 3-4 years using them in the stereo none had leaked, only one case was the unlucky one that rolled under a tire without my knowledge and got squashed :ohgeez:

325addict

Enlightened
Indeed: ALL Alkalines will leak eventually.

Especially when the light is left on accidentally. The batteries will get drained totally and leakage can occur within a MONTH then....

This way, I've had portable mixers by SQN and Sound Devices go bad, worth thousands of $'s.....
On one SD 302 I had to use a big hammer to blow them out of the stainless steel battery compartment, and the sucker was.... a Procell, made by Duracell. This, I could determine by scraping the foil from the inside of the battery tube, since it came loose when I hammered them out :(

Timmo.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
As many have said, all alkalines are prone to leakage. It's best in my opinion to at least stick with the big three (Duracell, Eveready, and Ray-O-Vac) that way, you'd at least have some recourse when and if the batteries leak in something and cause damage. I don't think you'd have a good chance of any decent warranty service with generic brands.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The different experience are quite funny to hear. I seem to have to opposite luck with energizers leaking and duracell's not leaking. I even had an old 3D in the garage that has lived out there for 6-8 years in a box. I thought to myself, this could be bad. Low and behold not only did they not leak but what a surprise to find that the batteries still worked very well. They had a "use by" date of of 2001 on them! D cells really seem to last a long time stored.

sunsync

Newly Enlightened
My worst luck by far has been with Rayovac, a few problems with Energizers and best luck with Duracell. I only use Duracell Pro primary batteries for alkaline applications, and try to stick with rechargeables when possible.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had troubles with AA Energizers leaking and D Duracells. Most of the Energizers were purchased in the same time frame of a few months. The copper tops were many years ago and the second set was probably from not cleaning the Mag Lite properly after the first failure. Both copper top failures were in a light left in the car in the dead of an Indiana winter. I think the cold helped them fail.

I also had a failure when I put a mismatch of brands in a light. Just like they tell you in the instructions not to match cells it failed really fast.