I love my Zoomie

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never had one until I was gifted one.
What an amazing device. Runs on 1x18650. The price was right you might say. I keep using it often.

Zooms out where it's all flood, almost like a household bulb. Or zooms into this Borg like square. Interesting. Not sure what the model is or the output, probably 200-300 lumens.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Flashaholics everywhere are asking themselves "where did we go wrong?" "aaaaaauuugh"

I like a zoomie ugly beam and all.
But I must admit when I swapped vehicles at work my ever faithful Coast HP7 did not end up stashed in a pocket on the driver side door this time. It got replaced by a modern day Magcharger (the 850 lumen ML150LRS). It is in the passenger side door pocket though. I kinda miss those 360 blu-mens……

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have 2 zoomies, actually 3 of them and for the price I paid they are fine but when I finally got a good light with decent driver putting out 500 lumens on high with a reflector my zoomies sit most of the time as they can't compare well even with the 150 lumen mode. LIkely it has a Chinese LED in it they are decent LEDs but the tints vary a lot and less able to take the power of a decent Cree XML or XPL emitter.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Got one in that's also an awkward multitool that I've pretty much never used. Throws better than a really cr_ppy aespheric I bought almost 15 years ago and seems to put out more light (probably a Luxeon I in said cr_ppy aespheric so not a high bar to clear).

If it were a standalone light that used a modern power LED, were built better, and I could slot in an 18650 in rather than 3xAAA I'd view it more favorably.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 18650 could run 3xAA with the right insert.

I am aggravated by the modes, it keeps advancing them and every so often gets you the disco mode, which I don't care for.

Have been watering my garden, it's enormously helpful.
It screams cheap. Made of Chinesium, I joke that it came with 300 clicks in the switch and I already used up half of them.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think the 18650 could run 3xAA with the right insert.

I am aggravated by the modes, it keeps advancing them and every so often gets you the disco mode, which I don't care for.

Have been watering my garden, it's enormously helpful.
It screams cheap. Made of Chinesium, I joke that it came with 300 clicks in the switch and I already used up half of them.

Yes 3AAA/AA is compatible with 18650, often people adapt these alkaleak based designs for 18650.
As for the modes on your zoomie it is likely it has what is called NMM or Next Mode Memory and I found info on defeating it. It required getting to the circuit board and using a standard pencil to rub over capacitors to put resistance on them. If you find the right capacitor (SMD) and get the right amount when you turn the light off and wait awhile it will not go to the next mode. I've "fixed" my 2 lights of the issue but beware it can be undone as the graphite from the pencil if jarred hard can come off the capacitor. There may be a way to make for a 1 mode light somehow but I didn't want to risk destroying my lights at the time.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
My most used light is a heavily modded ultrafire u-f10. Custom lexel driver with an xpl hi produces up to 1000lm. And I had it bored for a 18350

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it by "zoomie" this refers to a short metal LED flashlight with slide beam focusing, typically a 3xAAA or 18650 light? I have several cheap ones, did not pay more than $10 each. In spite of their shortcomings, can't argue with the price. Local OTC deal here, 350 lumen 2-pack for under $7.

Dave

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it by "zoomie" this refers to a short metal LED flashlight with slide beam focusing, typically a 3xAAA or 18650 light? I have several cheap ones, did not pay more than $10 each. In spite of their shortcomings, can't argue with the price. Local OTC deal here, 350 lumen 2-pack for under $7.

Dave

Typically, "zoomie" refers to any LED light with a mechanism that allows you to change from flood to throw.

Zoomies come in various different sizes. However, most are 18650 or AA/14500.

Most zoomies using a moving bezel with an aspheric lens mounted on it. Some, like LED Lenser, use a custom TIR optic instead of an aspheric lens.