I need some electrical help

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully someone here can help me. I'm trying to get a LaCrosse rain fall gauge to work and I've followed the instructions a dozen times and can't get that last item to work.

My batteries register 1.6 volts each on my Fluke voltmeter. End to end they measure 3.2 volts. When I insert them into the rain fall gauge, with the + and - touching the bottom bridge connector, the voltage drops to 2.56 volts when touching the voltmeter probes to the tops. Is the drop due to working on a load or is there a short somewhere? Thanks.

inetdog

Enlightened
Hopefully someone here can help me. I'm trying to get a LaCrosse rain fall gauge to work and I've followed the instructions a dozen times and can't get that last item to work.

My batteries register 1.6 volts each on my Fluke voltmeter. End to end they measure 3.2 volts. When I insert them into the rain fall gauge, with the + and - touching the bottom bridge connector, the voltage drops to 2.56 volts when touching the voltmeter probes to the tops. Is the drop due to working on a load or is there a short somewhere? Thanks.

2.56 volts is pretty low and implies a high current drain or bad batteries.
What kind of batteries are these? 1.6 volts does not seem common, although you could be rounding from 1.54 for carbon-zinc, etc.
You can use your meter to measure the current drain.
Are the batteries inserted with the right polarity?

SemiMan

Banned

1.6 seems not out of line for brand new never used alkaline allowing for some error. Dropping immediately to 2.56 suggests that there is a high load which I absolutely would not expect with a rain gauge. I would lean towards polarity issue but maybe the gauge is toast.

Semiman