I need your help CPF! Love to get your feedback on my Titanium Carbon Fiber Light

Father Azmodius

Enlightened
If you do a clip, make it like a knife, where it can be carried bezel up or down! No need to worry about lefties here! ha!

No love for those of us in our right minds. I say make a left handed light. 10% of the .8420253% of the population that are informed CPF members will flock to it.

Highbandwidth

Newly Enlightened
As another commenter noted, you'll NOT please everyone here. There seems to be some consensus on the firefly mode, tailstand, and no blinky function. A light like this won't be a duty light or tactical light - it's a gentleman's light. Nobody will fasten it to their AR and go hunting. With that said however, the collectors will like the IP68 and dual springs and sapphire lens whether it ever gets off the shelf or not. And some (myself perhaps) will EDC such a light as titanium is preferred over anodized or PVD finish. For myself, if your price is attractive, assuming fit and finish is good and light quality is good, I'm in already. But I'm a sucker for titanium and carbon fiber.

Highbandwidth

Newly Enlightened
I will have 10 functional prototypes complete this weekend and would like to send one or two out to well respected individuals who can do some thorough testing and provide some feedback. Who would you recommend?

Look up user "selfbuilt". There may be others, but his are the only ones I read. And I do make purchase decisions based on his reviews.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a 1 lumen setting would be a must.

So I like it, definitely! I would say moonlight would be a must, meaning a min of 0.5 lumens. Also have you considered around 4000k temp?

How do you think this fits into the market? Who are you targeting? Flashoholics? General Pop? Check the Zebralight SC62w. Can do everything this light can do in a smaller package and more. Not to discourage, but just need to know your perspective to assist better.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good feedback from the others.

I really like the design - very tasteful.

My opinion is that 500 and 1000 lumens are visually to close to each other. Since you need a factor of 4x lumens to perceive double the brightness I think the lumen levels should be: 1000, 250, 50, 10. With maybe a moonlight.

As others have mentioned adding to many levels to a single clicky light starts to get annoying in use.

Also - am I reading the OD correctly @ 1.8 inches? That 45.7mm in diameter - which is HUGE. If it really is that size you should make it so it's compatible with 32650, 26650 and 18650 cells via adapter sleeves. Also with that diameter it will have a pretty large reflector and should be quite a thrower.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You're going to have a significant number of individuals who'll want a lower, low setting. Just an idea.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also - am I reading the OD correctly @ 1.8 inches? That 45.7mm in diameter - which is HUGE. If it really is that size you should make it so it's compatible with 32650, 26650 and 18650 cells via adapter sleeves. Also with that diameter it will have a pretty large reflector and should be quite a thrower.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that - I did see 1" OD with CF sleeve removed.

Coatings
1. DLC (really really preferred...)
2. AlTiN

LMH (I'm okay with moonlight, but don't like HML).

Sapphire lens

Looks very nice.

espeery

Newly Enlightened
Correction: 30mm OD (1.18") and 25.4mm (1") with carbon sleeve removed.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I LOVE the aesthetics, just beautiful!

Unfortunately, for me, lights that have a one-button interface, where you have to click-click-click to get to each level, are just too cumbersome for the way I use a light, but plenty of people find those types of UIs acceptable, so that's okay ... although I'd advise finding a way to hide the disco modes, as we've hit you over the head with ad nauseum in this thread :) Otherwise, find a UI that you can manufacture that enables forward momentary/clicky from the rear button and something else (a second button, head twists, whatever) to control modes, and I'm on board.

espeery

Newly Enlightened
Note taken - remove the disco stuff and keep it really simple. I really like the low lumen (0.5 to 1) setting idea.

Tell me more about DLC and why you prefer this over other coatings.

The company name is Atlas, the model will be called the C57 (57mm carbon tube length).

I will be taking your input and making final tweaks to my current design then launching on Kickstarter hopefully 9/22 if all goes well. I was also thinking of doing a CPF earlybird special to give back.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could do the disco, just make sure the driver has the capability to have it hidden.

I had some thoughts and wanted to ask a few questions: It is a clicky right? If so, what kind of switch? McClicky? Switch boot color options? Nyogel on the threads?

archimedes

Flashaholic
DLC is preferred for both functional and aesthetic reasons.

It has superior wear and hardness characteristics to most other coatings. It also looks quite beautiful, especially on highly polished surfaces.

I suppose you might also consider it to tie in with the "carbon" theme, too ... :D

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
a perfect example of a bi directional clip comes on Jetbeams XP-L 3M Pro. That would be pretty slick. As for the carbon fiber you could lower your costs and offer some very nice patterns with peel ply CF on G10. Im looking at the handle of my Spyderco Yojimbo 2 in carbon fiber peel ply on G10. To see images of this example Im giving just google image "Knifeworks Yojimbo 2 carbon fiber S90V" it looks very very good and G10 while cheaper is no joke either. The peel ply CF on this example has a near perfect grip texture and outstanding micro diamond pattern.

As I have learned in my other hobby of collecting and customizing knives do NOT make a CF clip unless it is 3d designed and 3d machined to be near 3mm thick. Ive seen to many expensive standard thickness CF knife clips snap and break under tension. Stonewashed titanium you say? Love that idea. Im an optician and sell many titanium frames almost all of them are smoothed out natural titanium color when it comes to the finish Im not sure how its smoothed out on the surface but the look that is left is un anodized natural color. You could offer stone washed finishes on titanium and with my experience with stone washed knife steels it looks very good and hides scratches very well.

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
Note taken - remove the disco stuff and keep it really simple. I really like the low lumen (0.5 to 1) setting idea.

Tell me more about DLC and why you prefer this over other coatings.

The company name is Atlas, the model will be called the C57 (57mm carbon tube length).

I will be taking your input and making final tweaks to my current design then launching on Kickstarter hopefully 9/22 if all goes well. I was also thinking of doing a CPF earlybird special to give back.

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it on Kickstarter. It'll be interesting to see what you decide on for final specs. I do like the sound of a 4000k option.

espeery

Newly Enlightened
Here are a few images of our latest round of prototypes. I will post better photos soon, but here are a few for now. Do you guys like the various color options? I am thinking of offering two different carbon fiber tubes per package during the kickstarter campaign but not sure if people want the customization or not.

6a9dbd_ddf796479b2e47cd8923c71332cc18eb.jpg_srz_p_481_360_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

seen above: Carbon (natural twill, white, black) Caps- CRW black, rings - black, black, gray

6a9dbd_8250c5f65f98478b988c54280044ba86.jpg_srz_p_574_763_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Various color options, bottom is "blaze orange" used in hunting gear.

6a9dbd_173f83872c1742f28d99b4465ead9071.jpg_srz_p_352_302_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Black caps, gray rings and alum radiator and natural 2x2 twill carbon.

6a9dbd_8f3a1197fa484498aff592538fad3c77.jpg_srz_p_277_332_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

natural caps, natural alum rings and handle, light orange carbon fiber tube.

6a9dbd_69cf341bfa07433fb6c609e80accfa31.jpg_srz_p_296_221_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Bead blasted top, natural finish bottom.

6a9dbd_17d41448fbc54dca9ea9fba62a10e034.jpg_srz_p_283_378_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

above: Black titanium, CRW PVD coated, laser engraved logo.

6a9dbd_9ad1d58184df46b6a564b8a209091e56.jpg_srz_p_428_239_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Copper heat sink

Last edited:

wuyeah

Enlightened
Are you selling flashlight or light saber? I am confused.

Please don't put much graphics on that beautiful carbon fiber....I love the clean look. Your light is unique enough to tell apart. Digiatal engrave will be better than a big strip of bold graphic logo.