I need your help CPF! Love to get your feedback on my Titanium Carbon Fiber Light

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OUTSTANDING!! You are nailing the carbon fiber very well the patterns and textures are almost dead on like the knife I was talking about. Am preferring the natural finish top and the DLC top. Alright man so far you have more or less put together one hell of a high quality host! How is the mode selection done at this point in development looking like either a head twister or multi tap tail switch deal. Still consider a well done side switch for mode changes so the user can turn on and off the light as well as change modes with the same hand. Still no clip? Heat sinking with this lights thick top, bottom and you said radiator in the top? Appers so very good! Carbon Fiber is also excellent at heat sinking so you are looking great thus far.

So we need to get down to some electronic guts and wiring. The emitter is still XP-L? V5 or....? No matter how nice the materials that make up your light are it will be shopped and compared against the Fenix TAC35 XP-L, Jetbeam WL S2 XP-L and even the ET T25C2 XP-L V5. You are obviously looking to charge premium prices for what is obviously so far an expensive light to make and were not even to the guts yet. Looks like the light with its aluminum radiator will be thermally regulated at least on Max?

How is the reflector coming? Youre going to need to meet or beat the XP-L competition. Despite the extra thickness the thick head and tail are and the thickness the CF adds to the aluminum tube when it comes down to it this light internally has the same room to work with as the Fenix TAC35. A premium material premium price high out put XP-L PD35 size/output light is going to be expected to at least take an 18650, 3 volt CR123s and rechageable 2x 3.7 volt RCR's.

I would personally tune the reflector shape and emitter placement where the beam profile nails the huge hot spot, proper and even corona as well as the width of the beam diameter out of the UC35 it would the tint needs to be perfectly even across the hot spot and spill portions of the profile. No harsh purples or blues. Nail down the UC35 beam profile with the added efficiency of the XP-L and mostly what is widely expected out of a domed XP-L and so far that has been blinding white tint. The emitter and connected wiring has GOT to be bomb proof. If Im going to pay the prices I am imagining youll charge I should be able to not just drop the light from waist high without the emitter breaking loose and or solder points cracking etc I should be able to throw it high and far into 2 meters deep of water where the light should still be undamaged and cranking away.

I am LOVING your light so far OP but the competition in this class is cut throat and many. I own just about all the cigar tube sized PD35 class of lights and boy youve got your work cut out for you when it comes down to how well the light actually functions, how well done the beam profile is at ALL mode levels. Im not seeing anywhere on the so far posted lights where a clip would connect to. Its GOT to have a clip! Deep carry and bi directional make it out of a nice brushed steel anodize it whatever.

I have high hopes OP! I am very impressed so far youre blowing away the rest of this class of lights when it comes to materials Im sure Im not the only one waiting to see how you proceed with the electronics!

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look great - but I'd like to add my voice to the "No Disco modes" and "Please have a moonlight mode" camps.

A programmable driver would be a massive plus at this price point. Let people choose what they want rather than trying to build a set of modes to compromise with everyone

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
So nice to see that copper heat sink.
Protos color options look really nice. That carbon fiber matte is growing on me. I am a bead blasted fan. Some aren't because they say it shows scratches.

Can someone order a Mix and Match packaged deal? That way they can sorta lego there own creation. For example, going hunting today, swap out for Blaze Orange body, or Going to meet James Bond at the Players Ball, swap out for Carbon Fiber and so on.

I didn't see where you addressed the button question, or did I miss it?

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
The natural twill and the black are the two that stand out most to me. I think because the logo doesn't jump out and slap you in the face. The design speaks for itself.

I very much agree with those that have mentioned the user programable driver. You'll never come up with a set of levels that pleases everyone, so why not put it in our hands to decide the output levels?

I haven't seen you respond to the previous inquiry, will this be potted?

Highbandwidth

Newly Enlightened
Where the holes are in the sides of the head, any chance you could get tritium inserts in there? You'll see them a LOT in high end custom lights. Otherwise, I'd think those holes would allow too much dust/dirt to get inside. Even if they can't get into the guts of the thing, they would be an issue aesthetically. Then again, depending on price point, these may not see much real world use.

Highbandwidth

Newly Enlightened
Please don't put much graphics on that beautiful carbon fiber....I love the clean look. Your light is unique enough to tell apart. Digiatal engrave will be better than a big strip of bold graphic logo.

I second this enthusiastically. Keep your branding small, subtle, and classy.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Your original mode spacing is perfect for me. I don't use moonlight but then I can't afford your flashlight so listen to those who can.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
as for mode switching am still curious as to how that is done. Having to tail click through modes or even just half pressing is a PIA. Mode switching via head twisting has one big advantage though and that is being able to choose the mode before you turn the light on. Still having to use two hands to switch modes in this class of lights would see a lot of criticism. How about low voltage warning? How will that be accomplished? Offering bothe CW and NW XP-L options would be awesome. OP at the price point it looks like you are going to shoot for accessories for the light would be expected. A screw on bi directional clip would be best or single directional deep carry clip that screws on. My MH20 deep carry clip indeed buries the light out of sight but the clip pops off whenever Im trying to get something else out of the same pocket for example.

Am paying close attention to this thread. Cannot wait to see down into the completed head and see some beam shots

espeery

Newly Enlightened
I need your help CPF! Love to get your feedback on my Titanium Carbon Fiber ...

Thanks for all the replies, I really like the minimalistic pad print logo idea, we're currently working on a new pad print design. With respect to the driver I really like some of the suggestions mentioned, I'm doing some research now to see what it would take to get a programmable driver, The current driver has five settings through a rear rear tail click button that can skip through the modes fairly quick through half steps.
Potting the electronics is a very interesting idea, I would like to do some thermal testing with some of the components I have and see how they handle when potted.
Hopefully tomorrow or Monday I will have some pictures of an exploded view of all the components for you to review, I'm also still looking for a flashlight reviewer if you have any recommendations. The titanium tail cap has a small rim that sits just above the button so that the flashlight can stand on either end.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I need your help CPF! Love to get your feedback on my Titanium Carbon Fiber ...

:rock:

wuyeah

Enlightened
Re: I need your help CPF! Love to get your feedback on my Titanium Carbon Fiber ...

Thanks for all the replies, I really like the minimalistic pad print logo idea, we're currently working on a new pad print design. With respect to the driver I really like some of the suggestions mentioned, I'm doing some research now to see what it would take to get a programmable driver, The current driver has five settings through a rear rear tail click button that can skip through the modes fairly quick through half steps.
Potting the electronics is a very interesting idea, I would like to do some thermal testing with some of the components I have and see how they handle when potted.
Hopefully tomorrow or Monday I will have some pictures of an exploded view of all the components for you to review, I'm also still looking for a flashlight reviewer if you have any recommendations. The titanium tail piece is just above the button so that the flashlight can stand on either end.
Please consider the laser engraving concept. Similar to what early surefire have done. Simple outline logo. I don't think you need to paint the logo to be more obvious. I actually don't mind the current logo size. I just don't like that black background. I think engrave logo provide a highend luxury feel than print. Of course it will add on cost. Personally I don't mind paying a bit more for something nicer. Zebralight headlamp actually have no logo on. People are buying them like crazy. So are some custom lights.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the lightsaber look, futuristic!
Richard at Mountain Electronics can custom design drivers for you, and many of us have used OSH Park to build custom boards. Certainly need to entertain the idea that some folks will want to run two AW/ IMR 18350's at 4.2v each.

The natural finish highlights the details in head/ tailcap, and would look even better with a stone-wash finish.
Definitely need a clip, I dislike rolly torches.
I volunteer for the testing list. Plus I'm a photographer, and can take some nice photos for you.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes! DD just nailed what I was forgetting to add.
"Certainly need to entertain the idea that some folks will want to run two AW/ IMR 18350's at 4.2v each."
Great point!

I also concur with the Mtn Electronics suggestion.

Sherbona

Newly Enlightened
It would be a shame if this titanium carbon fiber light didn't have a daytime flash mode for bikes (e.g., 2-4 hz flash, or even better a low that flashes to high at 2-4hz).

Highbandwidth

Newly Enlightened

I'm also still looking for a flashlight reviewer if you have any recommendations.

I'm sure all of us would be glad to review for you. I know I would. But the most prolific and qualified reviewer I know of is user "selfbuilt" here. Just search his name and you'll find him. And maybe send one to me for my invaluable help in nominating selfbuilt.