If you live in US and don't have binoculars

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
But what you see in the binoculars only lasts in the moment that you are looking :)
31939302692_4ca7b30329_o.jpg
That's a great picture. And so true definitely need a camera to capture that.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have my heart set on the Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42, but prudence probably dictates putting that buy on hold for at least 4 mo.
We sell Leica cameras and Binos at work (not my department, but we do sell them)
I have used Binoculars before, but we were moving stuff around the cabinets, and i had a good look through a pair of the Leica Binoculars (Geovid 10x42) and they are amazing.
I am a photographer, I have used top end Canon lenses, including the big SuperTelephotos, Leica camera lenses, but the Binoculars were something else - so much detail, so bright - I was amazed.

I don't need a pair of binoculars, but i know what i am going to buy if i ever do....

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Is that a Pelican case? Mine came in a genuine leather case, which I still use, and carry in a Tom Bihn large cafe bag. Which I used on this last trip to Philadelphia. Actually, my first stop was New York City, Manhattan, where I had a corporate job to do then down to Philadelphia, to meet up with my wife and daughter.

Even though we we have a home in Philadelphia, on the last trip, we stayed at the Kimpton Monaco right across the street from Independence Hall, and our suite on the 4 the floor looked right at it. Best view I have ever had in a lifetime of travel. And we have had some spectacular views around the world in the past.

Really, the entire history of the county is right there. Amazing. Looking out on the most important building in the history of the world, for what was accomplished there. I was up every hour looking at it with my binoculars.

After several days we went to out to our home, and picked up a feline: destination, the Vet., for calming down kitty medicine, PHL Airport, and across the country to Palm Springs with the other wild bunch. Our place in Philadelphia, is out of town in Main Line, and I did not want to come and go, as we had things to do in the central city. Hopefully, we will unload the Philadelphia house, and get another place in Manhattan.

So, always travel with your binoculars.

Last edited:

Nimitz68

Enlightened
Meopta MeoPro HD 10x42 are very high quality, based in Czech Republic and utilizing Schott glass. These were listing for $799.99 USD but Meopta just dropped the price to $499.95 at the start of this year. I purchased my pair after discount for $425.00. Almost half the price they were selling for just two months ago. Excellent quality with lifetime transferrable warranty in the US for a fraction of equivalent Euro optics. Worth looking at.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something to consider is that binoculars have not changed much in the last 100 years, with the exception of stabilizing technology being the main thing. There are coatings, and lens polishing updates but, the differences are often minor, and very hyped up be the manufactures. So once you get the ones you like/need, you never have to replace them, and they can be part of your gear for decades.

Some of the finest binoculars ever made, bar none, are from WW II, both American and other allied countries and those of the axis, most notably the Hi-power models the Germans used on their U Boats (Submarines for those who don't know). Collectors love glasses from this time. So, if you want a great pair you could go this route. Garage sales are a good place to start, as vintage models are faked like Rolex's are, so if you buy on line at auction sites be careful. If you find them at a garage sale they are not going to be copies, but grandpa's souvenir from the "Big One."

If anyone has any vintage glasses, or find any, please post about it. Also, when it comes to vintage Binoculars, I am not an expert, or a collector so it would be nice to hear from people that are.

Best wishes,

RL

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ended up sending the Tract Toric 8x42 back.

Pretty close to finishing evaluating a Meopta Meopro HD 8x32, and a Swarovski EL 8x32 SV, the recently discontinued version. One will be boxed and shipped for return tomorrow :).

Have my heart set on the Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42, but prudence probably dictates putting that buy on hold for at least 4 mo.

What made you return Tract? I don't own that brand, however, they seem like they are decent, and good prices.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Be aware that used camera prices are always plummeting; camera tech is now pretty much exclusively evolving digital hardware, which means new versions and upgrades are available as often as computers/cell phones. What was a top shelf multi-thousand dollar camera only a few years ago has since fallen to triple-digit prices, with many copies available as all the pros have upgraded.
47467619821_93c55d086d_o.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Something to consider is that binoculars have not changed much in the last 100 years, with the exception of stabilizing technology being the main thing. There are coatings, and lens polishing updates but, the differences are often minor, and very hyped up be the manufactures. So once you get the ones you like/need, you never have to replace them, and they can be part of your gear for decades.

Some of the finest binoculars ever made, bar none, are from WW II, both American and other allied countries and those of the axis, most notably the Hi-power models the Germans used on their U Boats (Submarines for those who don't know). Collectors love glasses from this time. So, if you want a great pair you could go this route. Garage sales are a good place to start, as vintage models are faked like Rolex's are, so if you buy on line at auction sites be careful. If you find them at a garage sale they are not going to be copies, but grandpa's souvenir from the "Big One."

If anyone has any vintage glasses, or find any, please post about it. Also, when it comes to vintage Binoculars, I am not an expert, or a collector so it would be nice to hear from people that are.

Best wishes,

RL

Here ya go Red:
My pop gave me these

3-ECA074-D-3-EC3-4756-8-FBA-5-A1-FFB045-C95.jpg

Not sure the vintage but they sure are clear. 1960 or early 70's I believe.

0041-D895-EBD6-45-BC-98-B4-FAC86161-CE8-E.jpg

DA10-D127-E1-F4-4-B3-A-B7-D9-BF9288-ED858-E.jpg

When I found a hawks nest from a point where I had free access at their level I was telling him about it. He gave me these and his Kowa spotting scope rig with a 10-60x eyepiece. Mrs Fixer and I hooked her Canon PowerShot to the Kowa and goodness gracious……we could see ants crawling onto the egg shells from 50 yards. Holding it steady was another matter.

Being the PowerShot had cheap glass and things were less than rock stable, the photos were ok, but nothing to write home about. Kowa had stopped making adapters for our "good" lenses but places like B&H still had digicam kits.

Later on I ended up with a good tripod with a Kirk ballhead. Holds my full frame rig and even my heaviest glass nice and steady. Hang my camera bag from the alluminum Manfrotto and vibrations are all but memory.

And in my truck rides a pair of Bushnell "Trophy" binoculars. Not bad but nowhere near as sharp as those Herters.

My dad also gave me his old Pentax gear from the early 70's. He had a hook up through Korea so he was getting top of the line gear for a quarter on the dollarr back then. I bought a Zeiss 50mm manual for my D700 that's pretty amazing. And my eyeglasses are Ziess glass from a Canadian grinder.

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ That's like a 9 * glass, nice. If Nikon reintroduces 8x30e2s again I'm tempted to get them.