If you live in US and don't have binoculars

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My dad was into macro black and white photography. He grew up on a small farm and learned to shoot small game by the time he was 10. Each round expelled was one less for later so he became pretty good at it early on. And he was fascinated by live action macro photography like butterflies and other insects yet preffered black and white medium long after KodaChrome was introduced. Oh, he'd slum it with a roll of color film for vacation pics from time to time though. I think my mom insisted on that. lol.

He taught me a lot about photography with film and I adapted it to digital once I learned the virtues of digital. My dad was a machinist so he understood the value of accuracy. When it came to tools he understood "the good stuff makes you better". He nearly always chose that route in everything he did including his hobbies. He rarely wore a wrist watch but if he did it was a Hamilton. One day he passed on a bunch of his good gear my direction. It doesn't get used often but I know it's there if I want to.

I ended up with some modern made nice gear of my own in time.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy a small binocular while hiking, more so then a DSLR. Smaller porros are great. Nikon AE series is pretty good weight aside (heavy/steel). Finding one that checks off all the boxes is hard though, you pretty much have to compromise somewhere. For me size/weight are most important otherwise I won't carry them.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had several different binoculars., pentax, nikon, celestron, even a military Russian one, but after getting zeiss terra as a present, i do not touch those anymore, some i even gave away, in 300 bucks range terras rule imo. i have also have nikon dslr look alike with 60x optical, zoom is great but the camera has awful lag, and crappy AF.