I'm still addicted to the old Maglites

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you should sell me a red 2C 😁 , except I'd probably have to sell my house to afford it, right?

Do you have any Vari Beams?
I have more than one from several rare colors. Most are still brand new. However, the Red 2C is an exception. I got it from a friend who found this extremely rare one on a flea market. Best of all it is still in nearly new condition. I couldn't believe my eyes when he showed me this Maglite. I still hope to find a Red 3C but they are as rare as the 2C so it will probably never happen.

Unfortunately I don't own a Vari Beam yet. Vari Beam lights I think were never available in Europe. A C-size Vari Beam would definitely be a great addition to my collection.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I have a nice 3D Vari Beam, but no C models yet. Would love to run onto a 2C Vari Beam.😛
DSCN0929 - Copy.JPG

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need 2AA, 4/5C, and 6/7D Vari-Beams to round out my collection. Don't think the odds are in my favor of finding a 7D, but I did stumble across a 7C so fingers crossed.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I need 2AA, 4/5C, and 6/7D Vari-Beams to round out my collection. Don't think the odds are in my favor of finding a 7D, but I did stumble across a 7C so fingers crossed.
Do you mean you found a 7C Vari Beam, or a regular black one? I've never known of 7 cell Vari Beams. That would be a really rare find.

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
A 7D Vari-Beam showed up on eBay a while back (May 2020). Sold for $2K. There was speculation at the time, that this was a custom build inside the Maglite factory (by an employee), as there doesn't seem to be any verifiable evidence that theses were ever sold to the public. Attached screen captures of the sale.

The following was written by Jason from the Maglite blog website, who was following this sale at the time.

"Hey, I've been following this one since it showed up a couple days ago. Yes, I do believe it's genuine but I think it's a one off made for an early Mag employee. These were definitely not sold for retail sale. Even though 7Ds were made in other colors I am fairly sure they were only done that way for a handful of Mag employees. I have only heard of 1 blue 7D, 2 red 7Ds and a gold 7D. I actually have a 4C blue light that's personalized for the same person, Don Meller. It's also the only one I've ever seen. The personalization definitely came at a later date because it's laser etched and I don't think that technology came about until the late 80s or at least that's when Mag started. This light and mine both came from very near Mag's headquarters so it must be an employee or someone with a very close relationship to Mag."

Attachments

• Vari-beam1.jpg
    Vari-beam1.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 44
  • varibeam2.jpg
    varibeam2.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That brings up something I'm curious about. I've seen a lot of lights someone describes as a prototype or a custom because they've never seen another one, but then it turns out they were sold retail and it's just been 40 years and most of the lights and their advertising has been thrown out. Is there a Vari-Beam catalog out there from 1980 or whatever that excludes 7D models?

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Wow, that's a mighty fine collection. Thanks for the pics!

What's the story on the one that's all silver?

I think I see both grip styles on the 2Ds.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's a mighty fine collection. Thanks for the pics!

What's the story on the one that's all silver?

I think I see both grip styles on the 2Ds.
Silver one is a marked Vari-Beam. It's the correct age and serial number range, so either someone got bezels mixed up in the past or they did in fact sell Vari-Beams that weren't all blue. I know the story is non-blue lights were dealer constructs but there are a hell of a lot of them out there.

And yup, the 3D and 2D lights are in both knurling types.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've kinda given up on the old Mags at this point. But I do want to get my Magcharger working again. Selling the old Maglites I don't use should get me a new charging cradle and a battery. I wish they still had the old Nicad batteries though, the newer NIMH ones don't last.