I'm vegan, and why you should be too. AMA (Ask Me Anything)

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
we all eat same veggies, and fruits, so everyone gets the same pesticides. which are not the worst part, harvesting fruits too early, shipping them frozen half the world away, then ripen them with even more dangerous chemicals is most likely a lot worse. maybe it is not something they eat, but what they do not eat, animal food has a lot of amino acids, plants otoh, do not have much, but our body needs them

i find this tread is kind of pointless since it is based on only personal experience of the op, i know vegetarians who are not that healthy, and i know people that eat meat, and have no health issues whatsoever.

Poppy

Flashaholic
There are too many words in this thread for me to read them all.

In the late 70's the nutrition gurus recommended 6 ounces of red meat a week.

Currently for the last ten years the nutrition seminars I have attended, mention/recommend a de-inflammation diet.
Long term inflammation increases destruction within the body, and diseases like diabetes, arthritis, skin rashes and diseases, kidney, and liver diseases, etc occur.
The concept is that GRAINS increase inflammation in the body, and fresh fruits and vegetables, decrease inflammation.
Grain fed beef, increases inflammation, but grass fed beef does not.
I'm not clear on chicken... I think free range at better.
Fresh caught fish is great, but not farm raised.
Butter, lard, coconut oil, and olive oil is fine to cook with, but not the others.
Tree nuts are good, legume nuts are bad.

My Chiropractor recommended the De-Flame diet by Dr Seaman.

I don't know it if helped the arthritis in my hip, but three months into the diet I noticed that I slept through the night without having to get up to pee. I was getting to the point that I would get up twice a night.

I would say that there is definitely something to eating more fresh fruit and vegetables than the average American does. Also, avoiding grains can be extremely beneficial. Unfortunately I have fallen back into eating grains, and I am getting up once a night to pee.

I guess I am stupid.

Back to the OP's position of being a Vegan will prevent you from getting covid, nah... I am NOT a believer.
Diet and exercise, and a good mental attitude are all important to fend off disease.
For the bulk of the world's population, the vaccine is the only answer.

GoVegan

Enlightened
Another problem for vegans and, to a lesser extent, vegetarians is the decrease in bone mineral density. Vegans generally consume less calcium, which is the basis of the inorganic bone matrix. But most importantly, calcium from most plant sources is much less absorbed.
Also, anemia and other diseases associated with the loss of important micronutrients.
And to be honest, we each have our own religion.

The highest rates of osteoporotic fractures in the world are those countries with the highest dairy consumption and has been directly linked for many years.
Any vegan eating at least somewhat of a balanced diet will get more than enough calcium, from soy foods, beans, peas, and green leafy vegetables.

About 10 years ago, I broke my hand in martial training (a bad block from a kick while sparing), I required metal pins in my hand for 5 weeks. The doctor told me it would be most likely that I'd only get back 60% of the range of motion for making a tight fist again. After the pins were removed, on my next checkup after more x-rays, the doctor told me that he'd never seen anyone's bone heal so well and so quickly (he was very serious, and he wasn't young either so I can only assume that he's been in the job a long time), I smiled and told him I recover very quick from injuries and training due to being vegan. He was also really shocked when I got over 90% full motion back within a couple of weeks, which he measured with this mechanical tool (I was doing a lot of hand strength training everyday though), and it didn't take that long to get a complete full range of motion either.

As for anemia (iron deficiency) in vegans, this is a common myth, I've never met any vegan with iron deficiency, sure you might find some, if all they are eating is vegan junk food, but most vegans again eat a balanced diet, and there is plenty of iron in tofu. beans and dark leafy greens, whole grains too.

For what it's worth, the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) Oxford study report in 2003 comparing over 33,000 meat-eaters, 18,000 vegetarians and 2,500 vegans, vegans had the highest intake of iron. Again in 2016 too.

GoVegan

Enlightened
I watched that video. The animals shown here and suffering from cramped conditions and mistreatment are examples of poor owners. A good owner takes care of every pcs, because losing them at a young age means losing many kilograms of tasty meat in the future, although, like people, people with disabilities are periodically born and no one is immune from disease. The slaughter part shows a quite fast and modern process - a pneumatic percussion instrument or a knife in the heart it's fast and humane. The point is still in profit, as Karl Marx wrote, for example, this video does not show the way "Shackle and Hoist" (more precisely, there is, but only for ~ 30 seconds), which is 2 times faster (great performance) than the pneumatic devices shown. With this method, the time of death can stretch for 2-3 minutes, this is still no more than in the wild (I watched about 30 videos and measured the time, an average of 4 minutes, of course, more videos are needed for a more accurate calculation). And they suffer no more than the inhabitants of the favelas or the poorest people in India, and anywhere in the world, I think a person even suffers more, because, unlike an animal, he can understands that there can be better, but cannot change anything. Looks like torture of tantalum.

It's very interesting about deforestation for the sake of cattle breeding. I thought that in South America, deforestation is primarily due to the hunt for valuable species of wood. I have not come across this, in my area the problem is mainly deforestation for the sake of sown areas and also the sale of timber abroad, and earlier in the 60s there was an attempt to remake steppes, natural pastures, into land for agriculture, it ended very badly in the end. Agriculture is also now in a rather strange state, there are a lot of genetically modified plants, who knows what will happen to human genes after 5-6 generations of eating such food. A lot of harmful pesticides are also used. Active farming depletes the soil, you need to use a lot of fertilizer for the land to produce crops. In those countries where there is little money, it is easier to burn the forest, to clear the land fertilized with ash for agricultural crops, than to look for and bring high-quality fertilizers, e.g. volcanic soil. Cattle breeding is a more benign type of land use, as animals fertilize the land with their droppings. But there is also a big problem with drugs and antibiotics that are fed to animals. Vultures that feed on fallen dairy animals die due to drugs if not disposed of.

I think not much will change until we come to the line of self-destruction. Until now, all over the world they can not agree on the simplest thing - using the voltage of the same frequency and value, and the same sockets...

Insects and algae are the food of the future, there have already been experiments with algae on the ISS for oxygen and food, I am looking forward to the tests on growing edible cockroaches making them eat only algae, and the most interesting question is how to thermally treat a cockroach in zero gravity? I think the best solution is to grind the cockroaches, add liquids and use microwaves to heat this mass.

Edible insects are not easy to grow, they need clean food, not food from the trash heap. On the same cockroach farm, the owner fed them with pumpkins and other vegetables.
While I understand that some people will never care about animal welfare, I do find it shocking to believe that many people are still unaware of the huge amounts of deforestation in the Amazon for animal agriculture, due to not only raising livestock but for growing soybeans.

But wait, so it's vegans who eat soy that are responsible?

No, in fact 96% of the soy from the Amazon is fed to cows, pigs and chickens, which are then consumed around the world, according to the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization.

You mentioned cattle poop, actually because we eat so much beef and milk, there are an so many cows in the world, and their burping and farting causes skyhigh greenhouse gas emissions, nearly 1/3 of all emissions from agriculture.

Again the math is simple, meat and dairy is unsustainable. People can continue to eat beef and dairy but will suffer the consequences of climate change to a point where if is no longer financially feasible to continue to subsidize the meat industry just for the continuation of peoples jobs.

GoVegan

Enlightened
nbp hit the nail on the head.
While comedy, YEP. Right here.

Well don't be too quick to to judge, some vegans are aggressive yes, others are not. I've come across all types, from hippies, to health freaks, to workout freaks, to militants. Many are passionate yes, because most of us weren't born vegan, so we've seen the direct benefits switching to a balanced healthy plant based diet can have on all of us.

On the opposite side of things, I've heard of many people blame vegans for more people not becoming vegan, truth is in 18 years I've heard every excuse under the sun reason. I've accepted than while The American College of Cardiology's President Kim A. Williams, MD who himself is vegan, is advising a nation with an unprecedented number of people suffering from heart disease, and theses people still aren't interested in listening, then nothing will change their minds.

GoVegan

Enlightened
There are too many words in this thread for me to read them all.

In the late 70's the nutrition gurus recommended 6 ounces of red meat a week.

Currently for the last ten years the nutrition seminars I have attended, mention/recommend a de-inflammation diet.
Long term inflammation increases destruction within the body, and diseases like diabetes, arthritis, skin rashes and diseases, kidney, and liver diseases, etc occur.
The concept is that GRAINS increase inflammation in the body, and fresh fruits and vegetables, decrease inflammation.
Grain fed beef, increases inflammation, but grass fed beef does not.
I'm not clear on chicken... I think free range at better.
Fresh caught fish is great, but not farm raised.
Butter, lard, coconut oil, and olive oil is fine to cook with, but not the others.
Tree nuts are good, legume nuts are bad.

My Chiropractor recommended the De-Flame diet by Dr Seaman.

I don't know it if helped the arthritis in my hip, but three months into the diet I noticed that I slept through the night without having to get up to pee. I was getting to the point that I would get up twice a night.

I would say that there is definitely something to eating more fresh fruit and vegetables than the average American does. Also, avoiding grains can be extremely beneficial. Unfortunately I have fallen back into eating grains, and I am getting up once a night to pee.

I guess I am stupid.

Back to the OP's position of being a Vegan will prevent you from getting covid, nah... I am NOT a believer.
Diet and exercise, and a good mental attitude are all important to fend off disease.
For the bulk of the world's population, the vaccine is the only answer.
Keep in mind that the vaccine protection will soon wear off, people will most likely forever be required to have booster shots. I've been telling people around me since Feb 2020, that this will turn into a yearly shot (or two even for each of the main variants in the current year) soon enough.

Better to build up your immune system. With lower heart disease risks, and cancer rates, there was always reason to switch to a healthy vegan diet, with the Delta variant and the later variants to come, there is even more of a pressing need to do so.

Besides it doesn't have to be an either/or. I'll state the obvious, but people can take the vaccination and switch to a healthy plant based diet, they are not mutually exclusive. Medically, this would be considered as the best option especially if you are in a high risk group.

You might be interested in this podcast/video (at least the first 5 mins, but the end is very good too).
Dr. Barnard from the PCRM organization, been a fan of his for years. His books are great too.

Plant-Based Diet and COVID-19 | Dr. Neal Barnard

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
<SNIP>
Better to build up your immune system. With lower heart disease risks, and cancer rates, there was always reason to switch to a healthy vegan diet, with the Delta variant and the later variants to come, there is even more of a pressing need to do so.

Besides it doesn't have to be an either/or. I'll state the obvious, but people can take the vaccination and switch to a healthy plant based diet, they are not mutually exclusive. Medically, this would be considered as the best option especially if you are in a high risk group.
<SNIP>
I fully agree with these two paragraphs, except proposing a full vegan diet.
I believe lacto, ovo, with some red meat is the way to go. Absent grains.
Certainly one could argue the benefits of the Atkins diet, and how it reverses atherosclerosis obesity, and diabetes.

EDIT: In deference to TurboDog's position, while dietetic changes may be good, their effects will not be noticed for months, and depending upon the individual may not be significant for many months.
Healthy diet, as I mentioned above is only one component of a healthy lifestyle. The vaccine starts being effective within hours, and more-so over weeks.

Last edited:

GoVegan

Enlightened
I fully agree with these two paragraphs, except proposing a full vegan diet.
I believe lacto, ovo, with some red meat is the way to go. Absent grains.
Certainly one could argue the benefits of the Atkins diet, and how it reverses atherosclerosis obesity, and diabetes.

EDIT: In deference to TurboDog's position, while dietetic changes may be good, their effects will not be noticed for months, and depending upon the individual may not be significant for many months.
Healthy diet, as I mentioned above is only one component of a healthy lifestyle. The vaccine starts being effective within hours, and more-so over weeks.
The big problem with the Akins diet (apart from is being the worst for the environment), is that it classes all carbs the same. Yes there are huge benefits to removing highly processed carbs and sugars from your diet, but it's madness to classify all carbs the same.

There are two types of Carbohydrates, Whole vs. Refined.

Whole carbs (complex carbs / good)
--------
whole wheat pasta
whole wheat bread
vegetables, potatoes
brown rice
barley, oats
fruit
etc etc

Refined carbs (simple carbs / bad)
-----------
sugary drinks
white bread, pastries and other white flour foods
regular pasta
french fries
white rice
sweets
etc etc

So yes anyone giving up refined carbs will see some benefits in their health.

The other problem with the Atkins diet is that is contains very little fiber which is essential for humans, especially for avoiding colon cancer.

Last edited:

GoVegan

Enlightened
@Poppy

As to the how quickly can a vegan diet affect people's health. From the very first meal (just one meal), it can make a big difference to one's health.

Just as a beef burger for dinner can cause an insulin spike and have a detrimental effect on one's health, eating a single healthy meal can have the opposite effect.

Clip is from The Game Changers documentary. Highly recommended, especially if you are into sports, although I understand you are older and not necessarily an athlete. :)

GoVegan

Enlightened
Good question, but it's not just vegetarians that fart, we all do. Anyway, apparently human flatulence is insignificant compared to pollution that comes from cows. 7.9 billion humans vs 1.5 billion cows.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big problem with the Akins diet (apart from is being the worst for the environment), is that it classes all carbs the same. Yes there are huge benefits to removing highly processed carbs and sugars from your diet, but it's madness to classify all carbs the same.

There are two types of Carbohydrates, Whole vs. Refined.

Whole carbs
--------
whole wheat pasta
whole wheat bread
vegetables
barley
potatoes
oats etc etc

Refined carbs
-----------
sugar drinks
white bread, pastries and other white flour foods
regular pasta etc etc

So yes anyone giving up refined carbs will see some benefits in their health.

The other problem with the Atkins diet is that is contains very little fiber which is essential for humans, especially for avoiding colon cancer.
complex-carbs.png