Incoming - What do you have coming in the mail??

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_20170906_204206.jpg

IMG_20170906_204252.jpg

Wooooooooah!! Never thought I'd ever acquire one of these babies.... and for about the price of a dinner for two at Golden Corral....

The first 'official' flashlight was "invented" in 1910. This "novelty" light was made from about 1912 to about 1915. The 1908 patent was for the Franco brand name that Interstate Electric Novelty Co chose for their products.

Last edited:

Ishango

Enlightened
I ordered the Manker PL10 after reading about it. Not too bright of a flashlight or a long runtime at that, but definitely cool to see two hobbies (Pens and flashlights) coming together :twothumbs I've read a lot about Manker here and wanted to try one out as well.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Light pens are cool.

Mid 80's 2D Mag enroute to my humble abode. It's in much better condition than the one I already have. The one I own now had a stuck battery and the ooze had removed some ano from the outside.

The one on the way reportedly came from a police man's estate.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
Matt at Adventure Sport Flashlights built these Convoy hosts for me. A mule with a Nichia 219C and an XPL that is a real small form factor power house. Matt does great work for reasonable prices and his customer service is excellent. I am waiting for his custom brass edc 14500 light now.

These are both single 18350's and provide me with all the light I really need. Of course, I don't want to limit myself to two lights, but these do exactly what I need them to. :thumbsup:

The emitters are both perfectly centered but the angle of the pic is a bit off. These utilize Guppy2Drv.

N2tItiH.jpg
[/IMG]

YHsX55l.jpg
[/IMG]

cbFoT8T.jpg
[/IMG]

Poppy

Flashaholic
IMG_20170906_204206.jpg

IMG_20170906_204252.jpg

Wooooooooah!! Never thought I'd ever acquire one of these babies.... and for about the price of a dinner for two at Golden Corral....

The first 'official' flashlight was "invented" in 1910. This "novelty" light was made from about 1912 to about 1915. The 1908 patent was for the Franco brand name that Interstate Electric Novelty Co chose for their products.
WOW!!!
That is an incredible find!

Looking at that I thought that it was probably a 32. And I wondered what it was doing in a flashlight thread.
Certainly I had no idea that such a light existed.
Can you please give us a few more details?

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
A new charger arrived today from China. It replaces this one of my old Chargers that burned out. As a bonus, it is supposed to accurately measure internal resistance of batteries.
45b4e31669de1ef9464ae9026c265abb.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
WOW!!!
That is an incredible find!

Looking at that I thought that it was probably a 32. And I wondered what it was doing in a flashlight thread.
Certainly I had no idea that such a light existed.
Can you please give us a few more details?

Hello stranger.

Basically it's called a "toy" flashlight. Up until probably the 1970's most flashlights were made as "battery selling" devices. The toy pistol light by Franco was a promotional thing used as a give away by news papers and such as 'grand prizes' for subscription sales. The interstate Electric Novelty company put out a line of lights such as a 'fountain pen' replica we now call penlights and a 'flask' replica that were called vest pocket lights.

The dry cell was new and made it so you no longer had a cord from your vest pocket leading to your trousers pocketed wet cell. The tungston bulb was also new and made it so your light could remain on long enough to guide your way for a few minutes. The former carbon filament could only handle a few seconds at a time, hence the word flashlight.

The Franco pistol was a 'blue'd' steel device that worked off of a 2aa sized battery pack. (2aa's wrapped in tape for stability and cardboard paper to print the battery logo onto). A wire ran to the trigger section to jump power from the cells to the bulb. Batteries only lasted a few minutes and prior to CF Burgess perfecting a carbon zinc formula in 1917, the shelf life was weeks at best, days at worst.

Conrad Hubert (Ever Ready owner... and still two words) bought the Interstate company for their Franco products in 1915. He used many as Eveready (now one word) lights including the toy pistol. His were brass and started out as "blue'd" then later nickel plated. Not sure if only the Daylo name was used in conjunction with the Eveready name of if there were any Eveready only ones. But he built them until about 1921.

The Daylo thing was where old Conrad didn't like the term flashlight in his products... flashlight was so... 1909... and by golly this is 1915... we gotta get with the times and come up with a word for our steady burning lights. He held a contest. The winning word was "Daylo". He spent millions trying to get people to call a battery operated fire on a stick a Daylo, not a flashlight. Probably in the top 10 biggest flops in American history. Right up there with the Edsel... the hoola hoop... the zeppelin.

I'll fashion a home made battery pack and replace the (working) opalescent bulb with #222 or #224 to make it a thrower. Instead of barely lighting the hand in front of your face I expect it'll be bright enough to find my dropped car keys (provided I dropped them in my 3' circle).

Ok back to modern light talk....

Ps, I showed the inner workings of the Franco in the "vintage lights in review" thread in the collectors section.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
bykfixer my friend,
I am smiling, and enjoying, watching how much you have learned, and are willing to share with the rest of us.

I am so happy that you found a niche that allows you to continue to grow in your knowledge.

Thanks So much for your educational and detailed response!

Hopefully, when I drive my dad's car to Florida next year, we will be able to get together again. THAT was fun! :)
Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
I recently bought the Ryobi bluetooth speaker. It is pretty much OK. I am glad that it will run on my ryobi batteries. I am waiting for the home depot sales that they run near thanksgiving to pick up a couple, additional spare batteries. One nice thing about the radio is that it can be used as a power bank to recharge USB devices.

Gigler470

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix-TK2OR, Fenix-ARE-C2 battery (extra one) and ARE-C2 battery charger from the Fenix store and from Amazon, Nitecore TUBE UV.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought the Ryobi bluetooth speaker. It is pretty much OK. I am glad that it will run on my ryobi batteries. I am waiting for the home depot sales that they run near thanksgiving to pick up a couple, additional spare batteries. One nice thing about the radio is that it can be used as a power bank to recharge USB devices.

I hope you've got not that small "default" charger. People curse it in reviews as it fails one by one: month of work => dead => replaced => month of work => dead, etc.

Latest posts